Husker Fan in Iraq

HUSKERbyNATURE

Been awhile since I have been on the board. I am working at Camp Taji, Iraq as a contractor. One of the distinct pleasures that I have over here is supporting a National Guard unit from Lincoln; the 867th Quartermasters. Thanks to Slingbox, I will be getting to watch the game against KSU tonight with the Husker Nation in Iraq.

These guys bust their butts every day, and I am honored to get an invite to watch the game with them. Imagine my surprise coming to my work location in Iraq and seeing the Big Red N flying high above the units main office. I really want to try and do something special for these guys and gals while I am here, and if anyone can think of anything that might work, please let me know how you can help.

Go Big Red :restore

-HuskerByNature

Thanks for checking in HbN. Thats great that youre able to meet up with some fellow 'skers. There are a few regular members around here that are also in Iraq - so possibly you can hook up, or just help each other feel a little closer to home.

I'm going to move this topic to our 'Overseas' forum, where it will stay at the top for a longer period than it would in the Football forum.

Best of luck to you, and tell the guys they're in our thoughts.

GBR!!

• 1 month later...

• 1 year later...

:worship:worship:worship:worship

All you guys and gals who are serving your country and are in harms way please know that you are in our prayers and that your service to your country is greately appreciated. God bless, stay safe and may the Good Lord speed your journey home.

>>>T_O_B ...a Viet Nam Vet.

• 2 weeks later...

:)

Thought you might like some articles from the World Herald.

>>>T_O_B

:)

Published Friday | January 11, 2008

Recruiting: Okafor still not certain

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

• NU football schedule

• 2008 NU football commitments

RELATED

• NU football schedule

LINCOLN — The early commitments, this time around, did not work well for Nebraska.

java script:enlargePhoto(227685)

java script:enlargePhoto(227685)

Omaha Westside's Collins Okafor rushed for 1,525 yards last fall, the second-highest total in Class A, to earn first-team All-Nebraska honors for the second straight year.Of the first six football players to accept NU scholarship offers for the recruiting class of 2008, four plan to sign elsewhere next month. Among the first 12 to commit — all before July — seven defected to the likes of Notre Dame, Colorado and Missouri.

One who remains: running back Collins Okafor.

But with less than four weeks until the Feb. 6 signing date, Nebraska must still work to hang on to the Omaha Westside senior. Okafor is among a contingent of prospects on campus today through Sunday for official visits — the first big recruiting weekend of the Bo Pelini coaching era.

"Nebraska is the school he's grown to love," said Yano Jones, who has trained and mentored Okafor throughout the recruiting process. "He's always been a Cornhusker through and through. But ultimately, whatever he decides to do, that's got to be his decision."

Jones, a former University of Nebraska at Omaha and Wayne State player, and Westside coach Marty Kauffman said they watched Okafor begin to struggle with his decision more than a year after the 6-foot-1, 210-pound running back committed to the Huskers in October 2006.

"I think it got kind of overwhelming there for a while," Kauffman said.

Okafor has avoided interviews recently in an attempt to focus on academics and remove external influences from his college decision.

The turmoil of a 5-7 season followed by coaching changes at Nebraska last fall shook Okafor's confidence in NU. He made official visits to Iowa and Stanford.

This weekend is big for the Huskers.

"I think it's going to be crucial," said Jones, who operates the Red Zone Academy, an organization designed to assist Omaha-area football players with leadership and training regimens. "Hopefully the coaches will do the things necessary to keep him on board. He likes the coaching staff. He loves Bo Pelini."

Okafor's mother, Pat, will accompany the running back in Lincoln. So will his older brother, Kingsley, an undergraduate at Nebraska who is preparing to attend medical school.

The visit will also allow Okafor to get to know new running backs coach Tim Beck, whose hiring was announced this week after he coached Kansas Jan. 3 in the Orange Bowl.

Okafor's inclusion in this NU class is viewed as key.

Of the Huskers' 17 known pledges, he is the only running back after the October decommitment of Jonas Gray, who is now committed to Notre Dame. Okafor rushed for 1,525 yards last fall, the second-highest total in Class A, to earn first-team All-Nebraska honors for the second straight year.

Rivals.com ranks him as the No. 48 player at his position nationally.

Other expected visitors at Nebraska this weekend include pledges Will Compton, Sean Fisher and David Grant, plus about six undecided prospects.

Okafor committed shortly after NU offered a scholarship early in his junior season.

Too soon, according to Jones.

As a result of his early commitment, pressure mounted quickly for Okafor to fulfill lofty expectations.

"We didn't want to necessarily shelter him, but we wanted to make sure he made a good decision," Jones said. "He was pressured as a junior to commit (early). He didn't get a chance to breathe and enjoy the recruiting process.

"When you're in Nebraska, everybody wants you to be a part of the Cornhusker tradition. He didn't want that to sway him."

The situation grew especially difficult after Bill Callahan was fired as coach on Nov. 24. An early December visit at Westside from Pelini and Athletic Director Tom Osborne helped make Okafor feel better about the Huskers.

"They had a great talk," Kauffman said. "I think it made a difference."

As for what happens beyond this weekend, Jones said, everyone involved will leave the final choice to Okafor.

"He's the one who has to go to school," Jones said. "We respect that. He's already got everybody in his ear. I'll just tell him to take everything with a grain of salt and do what's in your heart."

Published Monday | January 14, 2008

NU Football: Recruits mull final decision

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

• On the Web: Big 12 Football

• On the Web: NU Football

RELATED

• On the Web: Big 12 Football

• On the Web: NU Football

LINCOLN — Nebraska's first big recruiting weekend under coach Bo Pelini ended without any news of major momentum gained or lost as the stretch run to signing day starts.

Wait a day and that may change.

Running back Collins Okafor of Omaha Westside, one of about a dozen campus visitors Friday through Sunday, plans to announce his final decision today, according to mentor and trainer Yano Jones.

Okafor, twice a first-team All-Nebraska pick, committed to the Huskers in October 2006 but wavered this fall as NU endured a coaching transition.

He has since visited Stanford and Iowa and apparently enjoyed his weekend in Lincoln.

"It all ended up going very well," Jones said.

Okafor never officially left the Huskers' list of oral commitments, but Josh Williams did.

Williams, a defensive end from Denton, Texas, accepted a Nebraska offer in July. He then switched his commitment to Colorado shortly after Pelini was hired at NU last month.

In an unexpected move, Williams paid his own way to Lincoln over the weekend, according to other visiting recruits, certainly an indication he is again considering Nebraska.

He was one of several Texans in town. Among the others were offensive lineman David Grant of Killeen, Texas, defensive back David Whitmore of Port Arthur — both committed to NU — running back Lester Ward of Brenham, and Klein teammates Brian Moore, a linebacker, and defensive end John Youboty.

Millard North's Sean Fisher, committed to Nebraska since June, also visited.

Fisher said the entire group of recruits appeared to enjoy their weekend, which included individual meetings with position coaches, Pelini and Athletic Director Tom Osborne.

For Fisher, that meant time alone with new linebackers coach Mike Ekeler.

They talked a little defensive strategy, Fisher said. Ekeler informed the 6-foot-5, 210-pound prospect the Huskers planned to use him at strongside linebacker — the Buck position in new Nebraska terminology.

"The coaches are all just so direct and energetic about what's going on, what they're going to do," Fisher said. "I'm really excited to be part of it."

Fisher said he spent a good amount of time with linebacker Will Compton of Bonne Terre, Mo., another highly regarded prospect, who has been reconsidering his NU commitment.

The trip seemed to impress Compton.

"He had his Nebraska gear on all weekend," Fisher.

Sunday marked the resumption of a contact period, which runs until Feb. 2 and allows seven Nebraska coaches at a time to recruit away from campus. Signing day is Feb. 6.