Husker Recruiting

It's always difficult to speculate as to what sways a recruit - to speculate as to all recruits becomes impossible.

Some will be turned off - others will look at the guys playing their positions and think, "Hey, I could get early playing time - I'm better than that".

Some want to go to an established winner - some want to help build a program.

Some want beaches, warm weather and nightlife - some want academics, tradition and "family".

I honestly don't think a single loss hurts much - I do think that a single win can help, though.

I think sometimes losses do hurt recruiting. But it all depends. Why would a great QB want to go play for a team that keeps losing games on defense? When a team wins it becomes contagious and a lot of high school kids want to be part of it. The very very good players want to play for the very very good teams because it allows them to showcase their talents and helps them get to the next level. Look at USC and Texas, they have outstanding recruiting classes year after year. Not only do they get the four and five star players but they even come when they have to wait 2 or 3 years before they get any significant playing time. But each recruit is different. If a team offers a player early playing time without having to redshirt that can be a big draw. It also depends on what state you are in. A team in Florida, Texas or California can frequently satisfy almost all its recruiting needs without ever really going out of state. A team in the midwest like Nebraska needs out of state recruits to compete on a national level. Heck we need out of state recruits just to win the northern division. So I think for the most part, there will always be exceptions, but the better recruits go where the coaches win the games.

***SNIP***

So I think for the most part, there will always be exceptions, but the better recruits go where the coaches win the games.

Perhaps, but if if that were so, then a program would almost never be able to build back up. Oklahoma, for example - except for warmer weather, they are much like Nebraska. Same tradition, same lack of beaches or nightlife, etc. They were down for a considerable period, and came back. Other examples abound.

While some kids want to go to a winner, I think that most kids look at early playing time as the first consideration.

To some degree it gets into a nasty catch 22. To get the best blue chip talent, you need to win big and beat the big boys. And to do that on a regular basis you need to have the blue hip talent.

It results in most rebuilding projects taking a number of years to accomplish. Especially if you are not in one of the big 3 states for recruiting. We are seeing this first hand right now.

It is clear that the priority in the first couple classes for NU has been to change the offensive players to the new system and try to manage with the older defensive players. And in some placs, like the secondary it is hurting.

It hurts, we dont like it, we want results now. But the painfull truth is we are going to need a few more years of slow progress before we are back to where we want to be as a program. We are not to the point yet where we pull classes of 20 blue chip players like Texas, USC, Florida and the like do.

To some degree it gets into a nasty catch 22. To get the best blue chip talent, you need to win big and beat the big boys. And to do that on a regular basis you need to have the blue hip talent.

It results in most rebuilding projects taking a number of years to accomplish. Especially if you are not in one of the big 3 states for recruiting. We are seeing this first hand right now.

It is clear that the priority in the first couple classes for NU has been to change the offensive players to the new system and try to manage with the older defensive players. And in some placs, like the secondary it is hurting.

It hurts, we dont like it, we want results now. But the painfull truth is we are going to need a few more years of slow progress before we are back to where we want to be as a program. We are not to the point yet where we pull classes of 20 blue chip players like Texas, USC, Florida and the like do.

:yeah

I agree but would add this staff is good at is recruiting. It's a skill. And they do it much better than 90% of the rest of the NCAA divison 1A teams. Especially Blake. He deserves a pay raise. He seems to get kids to want to come and play for him. They are also good at evaluating talent. They have picked up some gems that really were not rated very high and they have turned out to be good players.

recruiting is a work in progress and each plaqyer has to be handled differently. Some make their own decisions others you have to sway mom and dad. some are spoiled and have an ego to match their talent others are happy to play the game. so I think we have a set of recruiters that do a wonderfull job. as long as they keep getting the type of players we are getting now we will continue to make progress.

Every school has pluses and minuses, you could have a recruit swayed by how nice his locker is and another the ratio of women to men, or in colorados case how many strippers to players, these kids are just that KIDS. who knows what will push them over the top as to where he wants to play.

GBR

the real texas talent will primarily stay and play in texas.............no diff than nebraska kids staying there for the most part....but truth is, even some of the leftovers or guys that get over looked at Texas (Chase Daniel, example) can make a difference wherever they go.....and some can't........

I think losses hurt and help. On one end, a recruit sees it and says, wow look they are losing, I can come in right away and play. On the other end, they could be thinking why are they losing. Coaching? Talent? They don't know and that could scare them. In the end, I think it is where they feel most comfortable, but playing time is big.

Playing time can get you people who are in it for themselves and not for the team. Winning is the best way to attrach recruits. Players want to be part of a winning program, and most will redshirt to be a part of it.

The ability of the coaches to attrach recruits is definatly important, and Callahan has a staff that is good at it. But untill we start winning things like the North and the Big12 we wont egt the classes of 20 blue chips, but about 10 blue chips, and the rest are decent players.

Our current offense will help get the players there. But we may not see the total impact till we get some offensive players drafted.

USC and Texas dont as much recruit, as select. We will never get to do that, because we are not in texas or cali, it will always be an effort to get the best players, something our last coaching staff didnt manage.

Good point on UT and SC just kind of selecting. I remember a quote Pete Carroll saying he doesn't recruit out of state unless the player will be an All-American. UT just kind of let people recruit to them after the nc, and they have like 5 5stars. I think we will be able to select pretty soon though.