Lots to do in Dallas

Eric the Red

Cotton Bowl - A few suggestions

First, on Dallas weather. I have attended three Cotton Bowls in the 22 years I have lived here. Temps for each of these games was in the 50's, so while not balmy, it was a very comfortable temp.

Six Flags - Holiday in the Park. Limited schedule. Most rides open and lots of holiday lights.

Museum of Nature and Science at Fair Park (where the Cotton Bowl is). "The Organ Man". Features real dead people, posed and preserved in plastic. "It's an anatomy lesson and part show business. The exhibit is one of the most successful on the modern science circuit, having pulled in more that 20 million visitors in 35 cities over the past 11 years. A Body World's display even has a cameo in the new James Bond movie" (per the Dallas Morning News). Go to DallasNews.com/Extra for more info.

Shopping: Northpark Mall and The Galleria have both recently been updated. Northpark now has a Nordstrom's and also has the boutique men's store by the guy who lives in Florence (can't remember his name), while Galleria is a little more upscale and has a ice skating rink.

While our bbq may not stack up, our Tex-Mex is very good. Mia's, Chuy's, any of the Dominguez family restaurants (Casita Dominguez, Casa Dominguez, etc), Herrera's are all good or better than good, imho. Italian food lovers can do Campisi's, a Dallas landmark with a lot of history and very good pizza or Alphonzo's (a little off the beaten path). Seafood: Main Stream Fish House, S&D Oyster House, and Aw Shucks! are a few of my favorites. Burgers: Uptown Bar and Grill, Ball's, J.G.'s and Chips are all good. I'm sure a few of the other locals can add to this list.

Sports: Cowboys play on Sun. Mavs play at home on Thurs and Sat. Stars play Nashville on Friday night. Football team will be at Mavs game on Sat and Cowboys game on Sun. Good site for tickets is TicketHippo.com.

• 2 weeks later...

If you really want good mexican food try a place called La Familia's just west of Downtown Ft. Worth. Their spicy chicken fajitas are amazing. Their salsa and chips are phenomenal as well and everything is made in house. You can usually get out of there under $10-15 bucks a person to. It is family owned and operated. The only thing is they are closed on Sundays. I have been there many many times and never had a bad experience.

Map to it here: http://tinyurl.com/tdqyv