96 Fiesta Bowl

Watched the 96 Fiesta Bowl again last night, and the ESPN voters are totally right that they are the greatest college football team ever.

It was amazing to watch how deep at every position that team was. The rotations they ran on defense and offensive line, even before the game was out of hand, showed to me that the second team may have been the second best team in the history of college football.

Some additional thoughts,

1) With so much talent, how Lawerence Phillips has wasted his life.

2) We should almost be known as Kicker U with how many good punters and kickers we have produced.

3) The game again showed what a travesity it was that Frazier didn't win the Heisman. I will say that he did make some bad decisions on the two interceptions he threw.

4) I still get chills watching the run at the end of the 3rd quarter that Frazier makes.

5) The speed of that team would match favorably with any team from this, or the last, few years.

6) What a master Tom Osborne was at calling plays. He just had a feel for the game that very few coaches have ever had.

Watched the 96 Fiesta Bowl again last night, and the ESPN voters are totally right that they are the greatest college football team ever.

It was amazing to watch how deep at every position that team was. The rotations they ran on defense and offensive line, even before the game was out of hand, showed to me that the second team may have been the second best team in the history of college football.

2) We should almost be known as Kicker U with how many good punters and kickers we have produced.

3) The game again showed what a travesity it was that Frazier didn't win the Heisman. I will say that he did make some bad decisions on the two interceptions he threw.

4) I still get chills watching the run at the end of the 3rd quarter that Frazier makes.

5) The speed of that team would match favorably with any team from this, or the last, few years.

6) What a master Tom Osborne was at calling plays. He just had a feel for the game that very few coaches have ever had.

and do you remember how everyone... EVERYONE... thought Florida was gonna walkaway with the game?

"nebraska can't play on natural turf!" "Florida is too versital!" "The venue is custom made for the Gators!"

the result? the single biggest pounding in a NC game ever before and ever since.

but that don't matter to the haters. there are still Penn State clown who insist *they're* '95 champions. hell, want the video with crybaby kirk if you don't see what i mean.

god forbid people give the '95 husker squad their due.

and do you remember how everyone... EVERYONE... thought Florida was gonna walkaway with the game?

"nebraska can't play on natural turf!" "Florida is too versital!" "The venue is custom made for the Gators!"

the result? the single biggest pounding in a NC game ever before and ever since.

but that don't matter to the haters. there are still Penn State clown who insist *they're* '95 champions. hell, want the video with crybaby kirk if you don't see what i mean.

god forbid people give the '95 husker squad their due.

Actually the Penn State clowns are mad about the `94 season when they went undefeated and beat Oregon, or Oregon State, or Stanford, or Long Beach Poly High School in the Rose Bowl, and we beat Miami in the Orange Bowl. We were both undefeated, but the Huskers were obviously the more balanced (top ten offence and defense) and more talented.

There actually wasn't anybody that had the nerve to whine in `95, number one played number two and handed them an ass whippin. But NOW...ten years later... it's been long enough that that little weasel Herbstreet thinks everybody forgot about how deep and talented and dominant the `95 Skers actually were. Sure `01 Miami was good. Sure they handed us our asses in the championship game, but, we really only had one true offensive threat that season, Eric Crouch, and Miami didn't even hold him to his season average in rushing yards. The `95 Huskers had so many weapons on offense, and Herbstreet's idea of just putting the whole defense in the box, would have been a disaster. Some people forget how good Tommie was at passing, both from the pocket and off option roll outs. He would have torn them up. And if Miami in `94, and Florida in `95, and Tennessee in `97 (It was all basically the same defense) couldn't get going against us, what makes Herbstreet think that Ken Dorkie could have done anything in `01?

The point Kirk should have made about the diffence between the 95 Husker team and the 01 Miami team was this:

In 1995 Nebraska DESTROYED the SEC Champion. A team so good that many "experts" believed they would defeat the Huskers.

The '01 Miami team beat a team that crawled into the NC game, and a team that didn't even win its conference championship.

i was at this game, and all of the gator fans walking into the stadium were saying that NU had no chance, the defensive speed of UF was going to be to much for NU, the offensive genious of SS was going to roll all over NU's secondary and on and on and on.

they were still talking smack at the end of the 1st quarter, but after 5 min in the 3rd quarter i dont remember seeing any orange and blue in the stadium and my seats were on the UF side of the field.

That team was and will alway be the best college football team ever. That team probably could have beaten half of the pro teams that year.

i was at this game, and all of the gator fans walking into the stadium were saying that NU had no chance, the defensive speed of UF was going to be to much for NU, the offensive genious of SS was going to roll all over NU's secondary and on and on and on.

they were still talking smack at the end of the 1st quarter, but after 5 min in the 3rd quarter i dont remember seeing any orange and blue in the stadium and my seats were on the UF side of the field.

That team was and will alway be the best college football team ever. That team probably could have beaten half of the pro teams that year.

:yeah