NU loads up with defense before recruiting break

OWH

NU loads up with defense before recruiting break

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - As the final big recruiting weekend of the year wound to a close Sunday, Nebraska football coach Bill Callahan must have felt like the Huskers' defense of the future was parading though his office.

NU picked up three oral commitments, from defensive tackle Joseph Townsend of Foothill (Calif.) College, tackle Terrence Moore of New Orleans and linebacker Austin Stafford of Hayward, Calif.

An additional pledge Saturday from cornerback David Ross of Compton, Calif., put Nebraska's commitment total at 23 for its class of 2007.

With a dead period in recruiting beginning today and running through Jan. 4, the big recruiting haul came just in time.

"I can definitely see this group of guys being the heart of the Nebraska defense," Moore said. "How I did in high school, that's how my defense did. I want to be the anchor. And I will be. Give it a few years. It's going to happen."

The 6-foot-3, 260-pound Moore confirmed the commitments of Townsend, a 6-4, 295-pound transfer originally from Campbell, Calif., and the 6-1, 210-pound Stafford.

The trio visited Lincoln together on the weekend.

"I had a great time," Moore said. "We all did. The thing that impressed me most was the academics. They were real helpful in telling me what I would be doing when I come up there for school."

And it will be school first at NU for Moore, a 3.7 student who said he plans to redshirt next year, add 30 pounds to his frame and earn his Master's degree in five years. He wants to major in astronomy.

Six months ago, things were not so clear for Moore. His family displaced by Hurricane Katrina in September 2005, Moore moved to Spring, Texas, for nine months. When he returned home before his senior year at McDonough 35 High School last summer, Moore hoped to sign with Louisiana State.

Even after a season in which he amassed 81 tackles, including 31 for losses and 14 sacks, it didn't come together with LSU.

"I found out there are great schools all over the country," he said. "I can't limit myself to one area."

Nebraska assistant Jay Norvell made contact with several weeks ago, but a scholarship offer from the Huskers didn't come until this month.

The official visit to Lincoln was his first. On the trip, Moore met Buddy Wyatt, the Huskers' new defensive line coach, hired from Alabama last week.

"Real cool guy," said Moore, who turned Missouri, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma State and hometown Tulane. "He's going to do great things with us."

Townsend may be ready to make a more immediate impact. He picked the Huskers over Washington State after earning all-league honors for the Northern California Conference champion.

The Huskers lose all four starters on the defensive line after this season. Reserve tackles Ndamukong Suh and Ty Steinkuhler return, though Townsend and fellow California juco product Brandon Johnson should compete for time in addition to Seth Jensen, who is redshirting this year.

Stafford will join a crowded and experienced group of Nebraska linebackers. He ranks as the No. 42 prospect in California by rivals.com. San Diego State and Utah also offered scholarships. He made 83 tackles and 10 sacks as a senior.

An infusion of defensive talent has marked the past two weeks of recruiting for Nebraska. Its past six commitments came from defenders, including junior-college cornerback Armando Murrillo and Florida prep safety LaTravis Washington.

The 6-foot, 175-pound Ross, who visited a week before the other new commitments, is rated as a four-star (out of five) prospect by rivals.com.

His coach at Dominguez High School in Los Angeles, Keith Donerson, compared Ross to NU freshmen defensive backs Rickey Thenarse and Major Culbert, also both from L.A.

"David's a little more athletic," Donerson said, "but really, I compare him to Rickey. I coached Rickey in the CaliFlorida Bowl last year, and he's a great athlete, too. David has a long wingspan. He's a leader, and he's a little taller than those two."

The recent flurry leaves Nebraska in a position to remain selective with its few remaining spots in this class before the Feb. 7 signing date. Campus visits resume the weekend of Jan. 5 through 7, and coaches can return to the road to recruit on Jan. 14.