More room for commits?

I got this off of another board...Huskerpedia (giving them credit for this) that a poster (Bulldog 16) on there that has been spot on so far on the recruiting, says this.....

Just learned this....we will take up to 32 commits this year because 3 players wil most likely greyshirt. Jared Crick, Demetrious Davis and a third that I will give you later. Also, things are looking to be in our favor for Burkes.

If that is the case we got some more room to add great depth to our already OUTSTANDING 07 class!

sounds good, but for some reason i thought that the university is limited to 25 scholarships a year and no more then 85 players on scholarship.

now with Witt and Glover having such a high GPA, could they possibly get a academic scholarship that does not count toward the totals?

Good question...........anyone know????

According to the NCAA By-Laws:

15.5.5 Football Limitations

15.5.5.1 Division I-A Football. [i-A] There shall be an annual limit of 25 on the number of initial counters (per Bylaw 15.02.3.1) and an annual limit of 85 on the total number of counters (including initial counters) in football at each Division I-A institution. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/92)

So, a team can have a total of 85 counters. Each “year” can have a total of 25 initial counters. When a person becomes an initial counter verses a counter becomes complicated, to say the least. And there are a number of exceptions. For example:

15.5.5.3.5 Midyear Replacement. [i-A/I-AA] A counter who graduates at midyear or who graduates during the previous academic year (including summer) may be replaced by an initial counter, who shall be counted against the initial limit for the following academic year. In Division I-A football, an institution may use the midyear replacement exception only if it previously has provided financial aid during that academic year to the maximum number of overall counters (i.e., 85 total counters). In Division I-AA football, an institution may use the midyear replacement exception only if it previously has provided financial aid during that academic year that equals the maximum number of overall equivalencies or overall counters. (Revised: 4/20/99 effective 8/1/99, 6/8/99, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 8/2/05)

And…

15.5.5.3.6 Divisions I-A and I-AA Football — Aid First Awarded Subsequent to Second Year. [i-A/I-AA] A student-athlete who has been in residence at the certifying institution for at least two academic years may receive athletically related financial aid for the first time without such aid counting as an initial award, provided the aid falls within the overall grant limitation. (Adopted: 1/11/89; Revised: 1/10/90 effective 8/1/90)

The limitation, therefore, isn’t on the actual number of signees – rather, it’s based on the number of initial counters (as opposed to the total number of counters). You can sign more than 25 in a year – so long as those over the 25 limit meet an exception (such as above) or if the person signed becomes an counter for another class.

When we lost Beck, and others, it opened up some counters, which can be “counted” toward Beck’s “class”, so to speak, so long as we don’t exceed the 85 total limit.

Another thing to consider – a lot of schools over-commit. They know that there will be academic casualties (both in the recruiting class and the current players), transfers, injuries, and the like. Happens far more frequently in basketball, but it’s the same thing…

15.5.5.1 Division I-A Football. [i-A] There shall be an annual limit of 25 on the number of initial counters (per Bylaw 15.02.3.1) and an annual limit of 85 on the total number of counters (including initial counters) in football at each Division I-A institution. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/92)

So, a team can have a total of 85 counters. Each “year” can have a total of 25 initial counters. When a person becomes an initial counter verses a counter becomes complicated, to say the least. And there are a number of exceptions. For example:

15.5.5.3.5 Midyear Replacement. [i-A/I-AA] A counter who graduates at midyear or who graduates during the previous academic year (including summer) may be replaced by an initial counter, who shall be counted against the initial limit for the following academic year. In Division I-A football, an institution may use the midyear replacement exception only if it previously has provided financial aid during that academic year to the maximum number of overall counters (i.e., 85 total counters). In Division I-AA football, an institution may use the midyear replacement exception only if it previously has provided financial aid during that academic year that equals the maximum number of overall equivalencies or overall counters. (Revised: 4/20/99 effective 8/1/99, 6/8/99, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 8/2/05)

And…

15.5.5.3.6 Divisions I-A and I-AA Football — Aid First Awarded Subsequent to Second Year. [i-A/I-AA] A student-athlete who has been in residence at the certifying institution for at least two academic years may receive athletically related financial aid for the first time without such aid counting as an initial award, provided the aid falls within the overall grant limitation. (Adopted: 1/11/89; Revised: 1/10/90 effective 8/1/90)

The limitation, therefore, isn’t on the actual number of signees – rather, it’s based on the number of initial counters (as opposed to the total number of counters). You can sign more than 25 in a year – so long as those over the 25 limit meet an exception (such as above) or if the person signed becomes an counter for another class.

When we lost Beck, and others, it opened up some counters, which can be “counted” toward Beck’s “class”, so to speak, so long as we don’t exceed the 85 total limit.

Another thing to consider – a lot of schools over-commit. They know that there will be academic casualties (both in the recruiting class and the current players), transfers, injuries, and the like. Happens far more frequently in basketball, but it’s the same thing…

\I knew there was a reason we kept you around. :bonez

sounds good, but for some reason i thought that the university is limited to 25 scholarships a year and no more then 85 players on scholarship.

now with Witt and Glover having such a high GPA, could they possibly get a academic scholarship that does not count toward the totals?

Not sure we need to give a hoot about Glover's academic prowess since he is on the way to Okie State...

And…

\I knew there was a reason we kept you around. :bonez

:yeah:thumbs

And…

Wow thanks for clearing that up for us!!!! :lol:

Not sure we need to give a hoot about Glover's academic prowess since he is on the way to Okie State...

sorry i got Glover and Lawrence mixed up.

Just an update about that former football/wrestling recruit.His name was Ryan Goodman, and if you remember, he was as high as the 2nd string QB at one point,but slipped down to 3rd or 4th. He was a redshirt in wrestling and unquestionably the heir appearent at 197 pounds when Padden graduated, and I heard he was beating Padden some in the practice room. If you remember,his medling dad thought his son was a future NFL quarterback, so they hunted for a place where his son could showcase his obvious talent. They settled at North Carolina State, where he quit football after 1 year because the coaches there didn't recognize his talent either.He's no longer playing football, but has had a successful wrestling career to this point,just too bad it's not as a Husker.