NU Recruiting: Newcomers must bide time, learn

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

• 2007 NU football commitments

• Marvin Sanders seeking stability in new job

RELATED

• 2007 NU football commitments

• Marvin Sanders seeking stability in new job

LINCOLN - Nebraska running back recruit Quentin Castille gained more than 1,700 yards on the ground as a senior in high school. Observers say he was nearly impossible to tackle once he got going.

Likewise, future NU wide receiver Niles Paul played like a man among boys last fall at Omaha North. Still does at times, in fact, on the basketball court.

With the Huskers set Wednesday to officially introduce their latest recruiting class, attention will soon turn to whom among the recruits can contribute next season. Even in a class dominated by defensive talent, the offensive skill players, because of their gaudy high school stats, will get stuck with some of the most lofty expectations.

Castille and Paul, no doubt, aren't alone in the class with having their sites set on playing right away. But recent history shows it will be tough. In coach Bill Callahan's complex system, not a single true freshman at an offensive skill spot has made a big impact since Terrence Nunn caught 16 passes in 2004.

According to new offensive coordinator Shawn Watson, it has much more to do with a rookie's level of mental readiness than his athletic skills.

"The best way maybe to explain it is that football intelligence is very important," Watson said. "What I mean is that there are just some guys who understand the game. Really, it all starts with a passion for the game.

"Some guys will come with it. Other guys develop it when they get here. Some don't ever develop it."

After Nunn caught 16 passes in Callahan's first season, Marlon Lucky rushed for 129 yards as a true freshman in 2005. Quarterback Harrison Beck completed one pass and led a game-winning drive against Kansas State that same season.

Last season, they all redshirted. And next fall, NU returns its entire corps of top running backs and receivers except Brandon Jackson, who left one year early for the NFL.

None of it seems to discourage the next group of newcomers.

"I think anybody can walk in and contribute," Paul said. "If you've just got talent, you've got talent. But if you don't know what you're doing, you're not going to play. The hard part is, that until you get there, you can't do a whole lot about it."

"I'm ready to play, if that's what it comes down to," said Castille, No. 36 in the final rankings by rivals.com of prep prospects in Texas. "I feel like I'm ready to go. It's just whatever they tell me to do."

In addition to Castille and Paul, Nebraska expects to add freshman skill players in running backs Marcus Mendoza and Roy Helu, receivers Eric Hagg and Curenski Gilleylen, tight end Ryan Hill and quarterback Patrick Witt.

Gilleylen, the latest and possibly final recruit to join the class, committed Jan. 26. Coach Steve Gideon at Leander (Texas) High School said the 6-1, 205-pound Gilleylen runs a 10.5-second 100-meter dash time.

"He's strong," Gideon said. "Great hands. He can go up and get a high ball. If he gets down on the ground and he's got a step on you, look out. I think he'll fit right in to the college world with his physical presence."

Of course, there's more to it for Gilleylen if he wants to avoid a redshirt season.

All of this forces a coach to find a delicate balance in recruiting, particularly when dealing with quarterbacks, running backs and receivers in a system that places such a value on experience.

Recruits want to hear that they can contribute right way. Coaches want to stress that there will be an opportunity but also remain honest.

"It starts with educating them about the process," Watson said. "You have to identify roles, define and then enhance. From that comes confidence. Any other way, and you're throwing too much at them."