OL Bryce Givens

Player: Bryce Givens

Hometown: Denver, CO

Position: OL

Height: 6’6”

Weight: 265

40 time: 5.2

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Colorado, Michigan, UCLA, Washington, Vanderbilt, Louisville, K-State, Arizona State, Minnesota, Illinois, Texas

Favorites:Verbal to Nebraska

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report: :star:star:star:star

Assessing the talent: Very athletic big man with the frame to become a great OT. Will really benefit from a big-time college training program. Has the chance to be a great one.

Odds of becoming a Husker: 80%. It is early, but we are his favorites along with Michigan. He loves the Husker tradition and the fact it is all football, all the time in Lincoln. Seems to get along well with the staff. Getting this kid, along with Steinkuhler, Hoch, and hopefully Robinson, would give us the best OL recruiting haul in the nation.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=204&p=2&c=629821

Bryce Givens, the 6-foot-6, 265 pound offensive tackle from Mullen High School in Denver (Colo.), has 13 scholarship offers, but favors two: Nebraska and Michigan.

Both the Huskers and Wolverines have offered and they have a slight edge over Colorado, Texas and Notre Dame. Neither the Longhorns, nor the Irish have offered yet. Givens said he also has offers from UCLA, Washington, Utah, Vanderbilt, Louisville, Kansas State, Arizona State, Minnesota and Illinois.

"I really like coach Bill Callahan," Givens said. "He's a great coach and really knows the offensive line. Nebraska has a great tradition and I love the fan support they get. Also, there aren't a lot of things to distract you there. It's all football, all the time. I went to their spring game last year and they had like 82,000 people show up and that wowed me.

"But I also really like head coach Lloyd Carr and offensive coordinator Mike DeBord at Michigan," he said. "We talk a lot and I like the Big Ten. They play awesome competition and competing for the Rose Bowl every year would be fun. Also, they have a huge stadium, which I think they expanded even more. It's like 111,000 people, which is ludicrous."

Despite the fact that Michigan and Nebraska are his top two, Colorado is the school that he's always followed. "I loved watching their rivalry with Nebraska," Givens said. "I like what coach (Dan) Hawkins is doing with the team and I think they will be improving.

"Colorado is only one hour away, but the distance isn't an issue for me. I don't care if I stay close or not."

Givens attended the Buffs' Junior Day last weekend. "I had a really good time. It was great. Until last week I didn't really have Colorado in my top five."

Another school that Givens liked growing up was Notre Dame. "I love the whole atmosphere there," he said. "The academics are excellent and they have amazing tradition. I also really like coach Charlie Weis. It's funny because people seem to either love Notre Dame or hate Notre Dame."

He is planning on attending one Scout.com combine, but isn't sure which one he'll go to. He says it'll either be the Los Angeles combine on April 29 or the Kansas combine on May 14.

"Tradition and fan support are big," he said. "Also the coaching staff and academics are important too. I'll probably commit sometime before my senior year starts. I want to get it over with and not have to worry about injuries and stuff."

His best friend and teammate is safety Nolan Brewster, who recently committed to Texas. "We're really big buds and we've always talked about playing together," Givens said. "He just committed there like a week ago. They have it all. Mack Brown is a great coach and has done an amazing job there. I talked with their offensive coordinator (Greg Davis) and he said they are already done with offensive lineman for 2008. So, at this point I'd only get an offer from them if somebody decommits. It's unfortunate that Nolan and I aren't going to be playing together, but it's all right."

Givens benches 350 pounds, squats 450, has a 28-inch vertical jump and can run the 40 in 5.2 seconds.

"I'm really aggressive and quick off the ball," he said. "I can bend my knees well and am very physical. I also have good pass-blocking technique.

"I still want to bulk up and get a bigger anchor behind me," Givens said. "I want to be more powerful so that I'll be able to drive

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely have a good shot at this kid. He is going to have offers from all over the place so it's not a done deal yet. The fact that he likes us over schools like Michigan, UCLA, etc. is a good sign.

This is going to be an O-line class for the ages.