N-2008.gif

Player: Cameron Meredith

Hometown: Santa Ana, CA

Position: DE

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 222 lbs.

40 time: 4.6

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oregon, Arizona, Washington, Washington St.

Favorites: Signed with Nebraska

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: :star:star:star

Big Red Report: :star:star:star

Assessing the talent: Potential DE/LB hybrid.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 100%

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Rivals reporting he will visit us. I have adjusted his odds. He had favored others including OU over us so I had honestly thought this was going to be a lost cause. Great to get a visit as it would assume he has opened up his recruitment and wants to get a serious look at us.

Supposedly this kid gave 5 star USC commit Matt Kalil a run for his money at a Nike combine in Cali. He is a solid prospect.

thanks for the info sounds like an impressive player who could be moving up the charts

yes he definitely is moving up the coaching charts, expect a big year out of him and maybe a boost in the ratings as well.

This is quite possibly the funniest thing I have ever read in a recruiting update. Even better than what Andrew Jones had to say about his ND trip earlier this year ...

http://nebraska.scout.com/a.z?s=204&p=2&c=658540

Cameron Meredith, the 6-foot-4.5, 222-pound, three-star defensive end from Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana, Calif., favors Oregon, Nebraska and Oklahoma, according to his mother, Katherine. "We're willing to fly wherever he goes and see all of his games," she said.

"He's only been to one camp this summer and that's the USC lineman camp, where he separated his shoulder," Mrs. Meredith said. "He can't really lift yet but he's getting better and should be ready by August.

"He likes Oregon and I think that's where he'd sign if he had to sign right now," she said. "It's local, well, at least close by, it's in the Pac-10 and they have really nice facilities. It would probably be between Oregon and Oklahoma if he had to choose today.

"But I love OU," she said." We might go back to see Oklahoma. We saw OU when he was a sophomore. It's a small college town and they have incredible facilities, even better than Oregon's. Their facilities would blow USC's away. They have a two-story strength and conditioning building. I also loved Coach (Bob) Stoops. He seems real genuine.

"Cameron's really a shy, quiet kid," Mrs. Meredith said. "And the Big 12 atmosphere might be good for him. He's a real conservative kid and I think kid's from the Midwest and Bible Belt might be more like him.

"His coach (Bruce Rollinson) said that Nebraska really wants him and they have him really highly-rated. We think he might fit well there. It's a conservative atmosphere. I'm kind of hoping for Nebraska too, but I still think he'd choose Oregon now.

"I hear Coach Bill Callahan is real good with his players and the fans like him," she said. We've had people rave to us about Nebraska and the closeness of the staff and the players. I'd really like for Cameron to officially visit Nebraska for their game against USC (Sept. 15). Nebraska really wants good defensive ends now. We're going up to see Nebraska unofficially August 9-12.

"Tennessee is also starting to show some interest," she said. "If they offered, they would shoot to the top three. And of course, he'd be interested in UCLA or USC if they offered.

"It would be great for him to play at USC with a couple of his friends. We've been to a lot of their games. But I don't think they are interested in Cameron. I think they think he's too stiff. But he was hurt when he was at their lineman camp. I think his team-mates, (quarterback) Matt Barkley (class of '09) and Khaled Holmes will end up at USC, especially Matt. Matt told Cameron he might commit to USC, and soon.

"I asked Khaled where he thought he would go and he said Stanford, USC or California," said Mrs. Meredith. "I don't think he'd choose Cal. Cameron went up there and he really didn't like that environment. He saw people living in trees on campus. So it's either USC or Stanford and his brother (Alex) played at USC.

"We're also going to see Arizona and Arizona State, but we don't think he'll go there," she said. "He wants to study business and that's one of the reason's Arizona might be good for him. They have a really good business school. He's also been to Washington and he didn't like that as much."

Cameron has a brother who attends Baylor, but doesn't play football.

Meredith reports a 2.7 core GPA and says he's qualified considering his test. "I didn't like my score though and I'm gonna take the SAT again in October."

• 2 weeks later...

Another recent linky on Meredith at Big Red Report:

http://nebraska.scout.com/a.z?s=204&p=2&c=660650

We continue in his final 3 and he should be visiting in coming weeks. In the article he likes us, OU, and Oregon. He somewhat dismisses the recent OU penalties but I would figure that a recruit would have to consider that. Also looks like he will visit the AZ schools. Glad we are N on this one and looks like we will get to go head to head again against OU! :spooners