SIGNED: WR Khiry Cooper

Just can't get excited about 4.5 or even 4.4 anymore. We have some of those guys already and our team generally looks slow, especially at skill positions. Now, if he's got a unique receiving talent, then I'm all for it, but we need guys that are serious threats to take it to the house, not just catch it.

Doesn't look like he's gotten too many big time offers.

There are in fact very few that actually have sub 4.5 speed coming out of HS. Most of those claiming to have that speed are really 4.5 - 4.7 but have inflated or handheld times.

Well, all I know is that there are a number of teams that have at least one legit 4.3 in their offensive mix these days, a guy that scares the 'buh-geezus' outta ya: Noel Devine(WV): that short guy on LSU(name?); those guys on Wake and Ball St: Maclin(MO), is either 4.4 or 4.3; DeMarco Murray(?) seems pretty damn fast once he gets going, plus he's an incredible talent; Michael Crabtree(TT); Jamaal Charles(TX); etc.

What I'm driving at is NE has to start looking more like OU, LSU, FL, USC in terms of speed and talent, or we're not going to get to the promised land.

Our D looked pretty slow this year as well, in addition to playing just plain BAD(though they have some talent there).

FYI: Murray and Crabtree ran a 4.5 coming out of highschool. I do agree that we need more football speed, but speed is not everything. Remeber Yamon Figures from KSU, who ran a 4.3, he couldn't catch or hang onto the ball. You can have all the speed in the world, but if you can't do the fundamentals then it's a waste.

Just can't get excited about 4.5 or even 4.4 anymore. We have some of those guys already and our team generally looks slow, especially at skill positions. Now, if he's got a unique receiving talent, then I'm all for it, but we need guys that are serious threats to take it to the house, not just catch it.

There are in fact very few that actually have sub 4.5 speed coming out of HS. Most of those claiming to have that speed are really 4.5 - 4.7 but have inflated or handheld times.

Well, all I know is that there are a number of teams that have at least one legit 4.3 in their offensive mix these days, a guy that scares the 'buh-geezus' outta ya: Noel Devine(WV): that short guy on LSU(name?); those guys on Wake and Ball St: Maclin(MO), is either 4.4 or 4.3; DeMarco Murray(?) seems pretty damn fast once he gets going, plus he's an incredible talent; Michael Crabtree(TT); Jamaal Charles(TX); etc.

What I'm driving at is NE has to start looking more like OU, LSU, FL, USC in terms of speed and talent, or we're not going to get to the promised land.

Our D looked pretty slow this year as well, in addition to playing just plain BAD(though they have some talent there).

FYI: Murray and Crabtree ran a 4.5 coming out of highschool. I do agree that we need more football speed, but speed is not everything. Remeber Yamon Figures from KSU, who ran a 4.3, he couldn't catch or hang onto the ball. You can have all the speed in the world, but if you can't do the fundamentals then it's a waste.

I wouldnt get to excited about any times good or bad. there is no way to know how accurate they are, the conditions when taken, or the health of the person when it was taken.

I wouldnt get to excited about any times good or bad. there is no way to know how accurate they are, the conditions when taken, or the health of the person when it was taken.

That's what I'm saying. The guy listed 5 players he thinks are fast and 2 of 'em ran a 4.5

I've never met so much resistance arguing in favor of more team speed....

No one is arguing with you. In fact if you read one of my quotes you'd see that I agreed with the need of speed. What I am arguing is that this kid is not slow if he runs a 4.5 like you suggest. Yuo want us to go out and recruit a full team of 4.3 and 4.4 guys when it's never going to happen. Hell, you even mentioned players you thought were fast and some of them ran a 4.5 in HS. So don't say some stupid comment about speed, have someone prove to you that 4.5 is fast (in terms of football speed) and then say you met resistance and we're arguing with you that speed is not important.

Nothing you say could surprise me now.

If you don't want to offer anyone at rb/wr/db etc unless they have 4.3 or 4.4 at the lowest then I wouldn't expect a class of more than a half dozen max. I don't know about you, but I'd like to bring in more kids than that every year. Unless you know of some good hs players that run 4.3 and don't have offers from all over the place, tell them to give nebraska a look. Recruiting is a competition if you have not realized that.

If you don't want to offer anyone at rb/wr/db etc unless they have 4.3 or 4.4 at the lowest then I wouldn't expect a class of more than a half dozen max. I don't know about you, but I'd like to bring in more kids than that every year. Unless you know of some good hs players that run 4.3 and don't have offers from all over the place, tell them to give nebraska a look. Recruiting is a competition if you have not realized that.

Rashaun Woods and Larry Fitzgerald were a little better than your average receiver if I remember correctly..... but how good can a couple of all-americans really be if they only ran a 4.5-4.6 40. :o

Rashaun Woods and Larry Fitzgerald were a little better than your average receiver if I remember correctly..... but how good can a couple of all-americans really be if they only ran a 4.5-4.6 40. :o

cooper named to all-state team, finished with 60 receptions for 1,037 yards and 16 tds.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wr Khiry Cooper

Shreveport (LA) Calvary Academy

Ht: 6-foot-2

Wt: 175 lbs

Forty: 4.5 secs

Visit Date: February 01 2008

Scholarships offered: Arkansas, Nebraska, La Tech, La Monroe, Tulsa, Michigan

Favorites: Arkansas, Nebraska, La Tech, La Monroe, Tulsa, Michigan, Florida, LSU

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: :star:star:star

Assessing the talent: Newly aquired coach John Papuchis, is going after this one pretty hard. Cooper is a tall, speedster with great hands. He has great seperation from defenders. Right now Cooper has high interest on both Arkansas and Nebraska. At this point it is down to these two schools. Cooper visits Arkansas on the 25th of January and then onto Lincoln Feb 01.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 50%