Message from the Nebraska Athletic Department Compliance Staff:

I think you would be surprised, as I was, when I attended a meeting that Josh was the presenter on compliance and learned how many secondary violations were self reported by our AD to the NCAA. And too many of those were illegal contacts made by 'fans' - and not just big boosters.

The NCAA attempting to control the actions of a regular joe six pack fan is further proof that the NCAA is way toooooooo big and the entire system should be blown up and started from scratch.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

A booster is a booster whether you go to one game your entire life or give two million a year. The letter is very broad and makes it sound like you can't talk to a recruit at all. They're just being safe I think and making sure we arent giving them any bling or cash. At least that's what I am thinking I could be wrong.

A booster is a booster whether you go to one game your entire life or give two million a year. The letter is very broad and makes it sound like you can't talk to a recruit at all. They're just being safe I think and making sure we arent giving them any bling or cash. At least that's what I am thinking I could be wrong.

Holy necro non-sequiter, Batman!

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If the NCAA is going to enforce this rule, it is going to have to figure out if a particular username is really a fan of that institution or not. 

What I'm saying is that opposing schools' fans could POSE as Husker fans and make all kinds of inappropriate contact (in the name of Husker Nation). Similarly, Husker Nation (if we weren't such nice, upstanding citizens), could create Twitter accounts like Whisky4EVAH and inappropriately contact Wisconsin recruits pretending to harass them to attend Wisconsin, in the hopes of getting Wisconsin in some sort of hot water.

Do you really think the NCAA wants to police/investigate this stuff? The schools, on the other hand, have to go through the motions of trying to get their fans to comply with an unenforceable rule, because NOT trying would make them more likely to be wrist-slapped, or worse.

In short, we now return you to your regularly scheduled life, already in progress.

Edited by cheekygeek
  • Mavric unpinned this topic