Message from the Nebraska Athletic Department Compliance Staff:

saw this at RSS. .

Message from the Nebraska Athletic Department Compliance Staff:

On behalf of the University of Nebraska student-athletes, we are so thankful to have your support as we continue to build championship teams in every sport.

Because of the ease in which people communicate online with each other today, we thought an educational message is appropriate to clear up any confusion that exists about contacting recruits.

NCAA rules and regulations are complex to say the least, but one area that is completely straightforward is fan communication with recruits. If any fans, boosters, alumni (or any other supporters) of Nebraska has any contact (e.g., in-person, instant message, text message, e-mail, fax, etc.) whatsoever with a recruit there are could be serious consequences such as:

The University of Nebraska would have an NCAA violation to report to the NCAA enforcement staff;

The recruit would become ineligible to participate in athletics at Nebraska, and before any of our coaches could continue to contact the recruit, we would have to rule him/her ineligible and then seek reinstatement through the NCAA office; and

The fan/booster/alumni involved could jeopardize their standing with the University of Nebraska athletic department.

We know that fans of Nebraska are the most dedicated and supportive in the country so please if you have any questions about NCAA rules, contact our office at anytime at 402.472.2042 or e-mail compliance@huskers.com

Thank you for helping Nebraska Athletics stand by our building blocks of TRADITION, TEAMWORK, and INTEGRITY.

Josh White

Director of Compliance

University of Nebraska

so that means if anyone talks to a recuirt they become ineligible, what if you went to the same school, I know NCAA wouldn't actually do anything but those rules are crap

If he's your lab partner in Biology, I'm pretty sure you are allowed to talk to him. :)

I'm sure this is just CYA to prevent the appearance of impropriety.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so that means if anyone talks to a recuirt they become ineligible, what if you went to the same school, I know NCAA wouldn't actually do anything but those rules are crap

There are obviously exceptions such as family or just plain running into the guy, or if you are friends of course.

The rules aren't crap. They are meant to keep boosters and fans, who think they are doing good for the university, from ruining a good thing.

• 2 months later...

• 2 months later...

:bonez:steam:steam:bonez

The rules may very well be crap but they are the rules and until they are changed we need to abide by them.

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:steam:steam:bonez

With 15 Notre Dame verbal Commits playing in Saturday's U.S. Army All-American Bowl..

How hard would it be to become a convincing ND fan? ..And contact them about the joys of South Bend?

Hey..Might work better to become a temporary USC fan to tie up their recruiting class for awhile. <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Like I said above, I believe the rules are actually much narrower. Last time I read the them, the rules on communication only applied to persons officially connected with a program, or those with sufficient ties to be considered boosters (donate money, etc). You are not a booster simply because you are a fan. Don't believe me, go to the NCAA Web site and read the rules. Think about it, if the rules applied simply fans of a college football team, without any ties to a team, a recruit couldn't talk to any fan of college football, which probably applies to just about everyone he knows. Alternatively, if those were really the rules, I'd just declare myself a fan of USC or some other team and bring their program down by contacting all their recruits. That would be absurd, and it is not how the rules work.

I understand that they are erring on the side of caution. It is better to tell everyone not to contact a recruit, because then no one can accidentally cross the line. That doesn't change the fact that the rules are much narrower than reported by the letter above...

• 1 year later...
If any fans, boosters, alumni (or any other supporters) of Nebraska has any contact (e.g., in-person, instant message, text message, e-mail, fax, etc.) whatsoever with a recruit there are could be serious consequences...

JAY GUY, DL, 6-1, 300, 5, ALDINE (EISENHOWER), TEXAS

“I liked everything, fans, coaches, atmosphere great program. Everything about it was great. I’m really excited about Nebraska I’m going up their midterm.” Guy said about his college choice to Nebraska

“I went to the Oklahoma game it was a good game. It was crazy 86,000 fans. Everybody was into it, fans knew who all the recruits that were there”

Fans Knew Welcomed Guy

“Many of the people in the crowd knew my name, knew who I was and wanted me to go there (Nebraska). Fans came up and talked to me and even wanted photo’s” Guy said

Link

So I guess Guy is ineligible? That's a shame, I was sort of excited to see what Carl could turn him into. <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I read the rules a few weeks ago, those weren't the rules. The actual rules are much narrower than the letter above implies, but it makes sense that the compliance department would be very, very broad in their interpretation, for a letter to a message board.

:yeah

If nothing else, take it from a compliance analyst. Broad interpretations are a good thing, especially in a message board like this.

• Mavric unpinned this topic