When recruits visit a school.

What exactly goes on? I mean what's the trip like. I'm pretty sure that they get tours around campuses and if it's during the season, they go to games. But what else goes on?? Does the coach take the kid and his family around town?? Maybe take them to dinner?? Does the kid actually hang out with the other players?

What exactly goes on? I mean what's the trip like. I'm pretty sure that they get tours around campuses and if it's during the season, they go to games. But what else goes on?? Does the coach take the kid and his family around town?? Maybe take them to dinner?? Does the kid actually hang out with the other players?

Typically, they meet with the head coach and the projected position coach - there's usually talk about where they are projected, depth chart, need, etc. Tour of the facilities. Most schools assign a player or two to show the recruit around town and answer questions - of course, because of Colorado the schools now keep a close eye on that activity.

Typically, they meet with the head coach and the projected position coach - there's usually talk about where they are projected, depth chart, need, etc. Tour of the facilities. Most schools assign a player or two to show the recruit around town and answer questions - of course, because of Colorado the schools now keep a close eye on that activity.

So no Wining and Dining?? Would that be legal??

So no Wining and Dining?? Would that be legal??

Dining. As I recall, during an official the schools can pay for a meal or let them eat at the training table. That may no longer be the case, but that's the way it used to be. It may be that there is a set limit on the amount or value of the meal - I suspect that there is if dining is still permissible. As to whether it's the coach or a player depends on the situation - if the family is there, I suspect a coach will want to be there. However, the family may specify that they want to be with a player hoping to get what they consider to be "real" information. And, of course, if there are a number of recruits it is impossible for a coach to dine with all of them individually.