A 'BIG' problem...Parish

1620 The Zone just interviewed this guy...He could really care less about being an NU commit...the radio guys picked up on it right away...he basically said he would go anywhere if a better offer came along, and if he has a good season and OU comes calling, he's long gone. The Zone called him an 'obvious soft commit.'

I really don't get this...Why did he commit, and why did we offer? This guy completely doesn't care. You should've heard his interview...He'd rather play mini-golf in Vancouver than play football here.

Look, I don't have a problem with someone who may not have the great talent out of high school as long as they are *passionate* about playing in this storied program.

This guy clearly isn't it. :angry:

I always took the position when this happens that a kid may just be looking at getting a few free trips or needs to feel the love from others to appreciate the love he gets from his favorite school, but after hearing this kid on the radio, I think this is clearly a much bigger problem than I anticipated and he needs to be cut loose. This class is going too good to have kids reserving "just incase" scholarships like he seems to be doing.

Hm, that's really disappointing.

The question is, *can* the coaches renege on *their* commitment to him and pull his scholarship? That's worse, IMO, almost like stooping to his level. A scholarship offer is a scholarship offer, and we have to live with it, even if we get some bad fish along the way, which this kid seems to be so far. Maybe he'll get a fire lit under him and really buy into the program and the tradition....but I'm not going to hold my breath.

We can only hope someone else offers, I don't think we can hope that NU will pull his scholarship. That sounds seriously low.

anyone have audio on this radio interview?

Hm, that's really disappointing.

The question is, *can* the coaches renege on *their* commitment to him and pull his scholarship? That's worse, IMO, almost like stooping to his level. A scholarship offer is a scholarship offer, and we have to live with it, even if we get some bad fish along the way, which this kid seems to be so far. Maybe he'll get a fire lit under him and really buy into the program and the tradition....but I'm not going to hold my breath.

We can only hope someone else offers, I don't think we can hope that NU will pull his scholarship. That sounds seriously low.

anyone have audio on this radio interview?

Say what?? I don't think the university is obligated to give anyone a scholarship at this point.

I don't know where you guys work but everywhere I've been you're an "at will" hire which means that even though you have a contract they can fire you at any time without cause.

If an offer obligates the university to shell out tens of thousands of dollars every year solely on the basis of a letter from the athletic department they're really nuts. Talk about being unethical. That would be an unethical use of PUBLIC funds.

If the guy is a looser pull the freakin's scholly. I'd think they were smart and good stewards of their $$$$

Well, it's just that he's been given a scholarship already. Is it good to be known for handing out scholarships with an asterisk, that they might be revoked? I guess not, but it's not like there's a solid reason (i.e, he got messed up in a legal situation or academic situation). "He's a loser" isn't a great reason...is there a precedent for coaches pulling scholarships because they changed their minds about their evaluation of a certain player? I don't know.

Well, it's just that he's been given a scholarship already. Is it good to be known for handing out scholarships with an asterisk, that they might be revoked? I guess not, but it's not like there's a solid reason (i.e, he got messed up in a legal situation or academic situation). "He's a loser" isn't a great reason...is there a precedent for coaches pulling scholarships because they changed their minds about their evaluation of a certain player? I don't know.

he hasnt been given anything yet other than an offer of a scholarship. nothing is final until signing day.

i have not heard the interview, and only have what the staff at BRR to go by. as of right now they are saying that he is a solid commit and not to worry. however if he has said the these things then the coaches need to get in touch with kid right now and have a come to jesus meeting and if not 100% committed then go to what ever other best offer that he can have

he hasnt been given anything yet other than an offer of a scholarship. nothing is final until signing day.

i have not heard the interview, and only have what the staff at BRR to go by. as of right now they are saying that he is a solid commit and not to worry. however if he has said the these things then the coaches need to get in touch with kid right now and have a come to jesus meeting and if not 100% committed then go to what ever other best offer that he can have

How bad would it look if we offered him a "job", he accepted and said that he might go somewhere else and after that we said tough sh*t. It's an offer, yes, but I've been offered a job, accepted it, but made the company wait until I was done with all of my interviews. It's normal. If you don't like it tough, but you jump on the earliest and best offer you get. Sometimes that makes more people look at you.

He's holding a spot for himself....I personally don't blame him. Coaches pull scholarships and promise them all the time and then never do.

None of this bothers me so long as the coaches are honest with the recruits, i.e., not making promises they cannot or never intend to keep, etc. We're not talking HS anymore, this is the big time and big money, and the kids are expected to perform and represent the team and the university. If they won't or can't meet their obligations there are others who will. Nobody, including NU hands out money for free. You can bet that if recruits don't meet their obligations as scholarship athletes they won't be scholarship athletes for long. That's just life.

If your company pays you because they promised they would when they hired you I'd like to have your job. Tell your boss you're there only because you haven't found something better. As soon as you find something better you'll be gone. I'd like to hear about the results.

He's holding a spot for himself....I personally don't blame him. Coaches pull scholarships and promise them all the time and then never do.

None of this bothers me so long as the coaches are honest with the recruits, i.e., not making promises they cannot or never intend to keep, etc. We're not talking HS anymore, this is the big time and big money, and the kids are expected to perform and represent the team and the university. If they won't or can't meet their obligations there are others who will. Nobody, including NU hands out money for free. You can bet that if recruits don't meet their obligations as scholarship athletes they won't be scholarship athletes for long. That's just life.

If your company pays you because they promised they would when they hired you I'd like to have your job. Tell your boss you're there only because you haven't found something better. As soon as you find something better you'll be gone. I'd like to hear about the results.

Understandable...look what Prince did to that RB from New Jersey, the kid commits and then he pulls the 'ship. Callanhan never offered, but there was a LB from Las Vegas he promised and then never offered. All coaches do this and I'd rather see the kid go somewhere he wants to be...

I'm uncomfortable with the precedent it sets by pulling his scholly. Although i don't like his comments and question the validity of this kids committment, in essence we'd be pulling a scholly because we don't like what he said in the press. How does that play out down the road with recruiting?

If this kid is looking to go else where, he'll decommitt on his own. Let him be the one to backout on his word, not the staff.

In the meantime, continue to pursue other guys at his spot. I think we still two or three defensive lineman with his committ anyway.

I'm uncomfortable with the precedent it sets by pulling his scholly. Although i don't like his comments and question the validity of this kids committment, in essence we'd be pulling a scholly because we don't like what he said in the press. How does that play out down the road with recruiting?

If this kid is looking to go else where, he'll decommitt on his own. Let him be the one to backout on his word, not the staff.

In the meantime, continue to pursue other guys at his spot. I think we still two or three defensive lineman with his committ anyway.

I think most would agree about pulling the scholarship based solely on news reports. That would be reactionary. The coaches may need to have a "come to Jesus meeting" with him, if they're not already in constant contact with him. I wouldn't even trust the press to accurately report what he said.