Update on '08 recruits

8/22/2007 12:25:00 PM

By DUANE ROSSITER

HuskersIllustrated.com

LINK

This week I would like to give you an update on what is going on with the two junior college players I covered last week and then give you a rundown on a high school tight end prospect.

Simi Kuli and Justin Thompson, the two defensive linemen from El Camino College in California, are set for their visit to Nebraska. I kept in touch with their coach and finally got the story on that major development. I say major because I believe the chances are strong on getting both of them - particularly Kuli. I, also, say major, as both would start next year.

Kuli will be officially visiting Texas A&M first - on Saturday, Oct. 6 and Thompson will be seeing LSU the same day.

The two defensive plums from El Camino College have had the opportunity to call the head coach and other coaches from Nebraska to see if an official visit could be arranged. It has been done.

"Justin Thompson talked to the Nebraska defensive coaches Tuesday night," El Camino coach Tim Hyde told me. "Thursday night (Nebraska head coach) Bill Callahan and (defensive line coach) Buddy Wyatt talked to Simi Kuli and Justin Thompson. Both of them confirmed to Bill Callahan that they are both going out there on Oct. 20.

"They had smiles on their face the whole time talking to coach Callahan. They both were very impressed with the passion Callahan talked about Nebraska football and where they are going as a program."

The skinny: It would be an upset if Kuli did not commit to Nebraska. His coach has repeatedly told me that NU was the team to beat - by a wide margin. With Thompson visiting LSU, I got a chuckle when a lot of fans figured it did not look good with him seeing a night game down there. In case you did not know: An LSU night game is a real treat to witness and it could persuade most recruits. Thompson is not attending LSU. It will come down to NU or a Pac-10 team.

The Husker coaching staff would like to get two tight end commitments this year. One, Tyson Hetzer, has already committed, but he is a junior college player and has limited time left to play at NU, so it is critical to get the signature of a high school tight end.

Tight end Dion Jordan from Chandler, Ariz., has the size (6-6, 215), the speed (4.6-sec. 40 time) and the first-team all-state honor to prove that hone of the best from the Grand Canyon State. He has appreciated all of the scholarship offers, but Nebraska has been his only set visit.

My colleagues on the West Coast have reported that the Huskers had a solid lead, so I thought I would check that out myself. I found out that it won't be as easy as they were making it to appear.

"It is pretty much neutral everywhere," Jordan told me immediately.

It has been known for some time that the University of Nebraska had an official visit set up with him for Friday, Sept. 14, but others are now in the picture for visits - all in the same month.

"Right now, I'm going to go see Oregon (on Sept. 29)," he said. "I like the coaching staff up there. Their whole offensive style that they run up there is what attracts me. I have been to Eugene before and it is a real nice place."

One school that he acknowledges might have a slight advantage over other schools is Cal-Berkeley and he is slated to visit there for an evening battle against Tennessee on Saturday, Sept. 1.

"It has some slight advantage. I am from the Bay Area over there," he said. "I still have a lot family . . . from San Francisco."

He will be looking for a school that will give him a good college education and "a place where I can be comfortable for four years in college and get on the field and not sit on the sidelines the whole time," he said.

With him taking the above three official visits and having seen Arizona and Arizona State many times, is there a chance of a quick decision after taking those September visits?

"Nah, I am probably going to hold off until the end of the football season," he said.

Simi Kuli and Justin Thompson, the two defensive linemen from El Camino College in California, are set for their visit to Nebraska. I kept in touch with their coach and finally got the story on that major development. I say major because I believe the chances are strong on getting both of them - particularly Kuli. I, also, say major, as both would start next year.

These two especially would be huge for us. HUGE! Any others would be icing on the cake. :woo

These two especially would be huge for us. HUGE! Any others would be icing on the cake. :woo

ya this is really good news. not sure about them both starting next year especially with Cryer and Suh. the only way is if one plays d-end and the other d-tackle. But anyways, Great news.

Also, one plays D-end and one plays tackle. Still, you're right - we do have a lot of depth already on the D-line, and they'll have to prove they can start. We already have Turner and Suh as locks, and then Steinkuhler, Potter, Allen, and our entire haul of freshman/juco DTs this year.