happy donors

Osborne's coaching choice wins over several Husker boosters

BY NICK RUBEK

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Lee Sapp will tell you he's been in car sales for "over 100 years, it seems like."

And the University of Nebraska donor from Omaha knows a couple of things about what people in the state of Nebraska want.

"Red and white cars still sell off the lot the fastest," Sapp said with a chuckle.

Sapp was one of a handful of donors who spoke highly of Sunday's hiring of Bo Pelini as Nebraska's head football coach. Pelini, the former defensive coordinator at LSU, will excite the state, Sapp said.

Many donors said the move had their full support simply because it came from Interim Athletic Director Tom Osborne.

"We loved it," Sapp said. "As long as Tom did it, I think people were going to support it."

Others such as Jim Ebers, an NU supporter from Fremont, echoed those sentiments.

Osborne, he said, is "probably more qualified than all of us put together to make that kind of decision," Ebers said. "I think we all wished it would have happened sooner, but it had to take its course and we understand that."

Sunday's announcement ended a week of speculation focused around Pelini, Buffalo head coach Turner Gill and Wake Forest head coach Jim Grobe.

"I wouldn't have been unhappy if he would have chosen someone else," Ebers said. "I'm happy with the hire, but I would have been happy if Turner would have been named, or Grobe. I think we got a good coach hired today."

Dan Cook, another NU donor, said Sunday from a cruise ship in Panama that Pelini will bring a different attitude to Nebraska football.

"He's an energetic, in-your-face type of guy," Cook said. "I think we got the pick of the litter."

As Pelini fielded questions at his first press conference as head Husker, the conversation eventually turned to recruiting. It's an aspect Omaha donor Howard Hawks said is pivotal in a smooth transition.

"Getting (the hire) done and behind us while there's time to have a recruiting class was critical," Hawks said. "Getting a good candidate was also critical. I think it's great, and I'm glad we're moving forward. It should excite the fans, and I would presume it would excite some donors as well."

Ebers pointed to parity in college football as one of the biggest reasons Pelini's enthusiasm should immediately impact Nebraska. Seven of the 10 teams that will play in BCS games will enter with two losses.

"These days, 11-2 is a great year," Ebers said. "I think you see from the way things are going that parity is here. I know you try to tell an average guy in Nebraska that and he won't understand it, but it's the truth.

"You win championships in this day and age with defense, and Bo's definitely a great defensive coach."

Wasn't Cook the booster that when Pedersen was fired, blasted NU and said he would never give another dime to NU?

That's what I was thinking too.

Yep he was, but I kind of thought that if TO came back he would get the boosters who were ticked about Pud leaving would come back too. I'm pretty sure that's what happened. Plus maybe Cook found out what was really going on inside the athletic dept, and not just the football field and changed his mind. That's ok, glad he's back and got the checkbook open hopefully.

Wasn't Cook the booster that when Pedersen was fired, blasted NU and said he would never give another dime to NU?

Next thing we know, Skersfan will resurface on here and reneg on his hatred for Pelini haha

I think a lot of people will be doing that in the next year or so.

I'm thrilled with what has happened. Tom made right decision and it was done with class.

I'm not sure what Cook's problem was with the Pederston firing. I thought that behavior was sort of odd. But I think skersfan was going to have a chat with T.O. to see if his concerns can be answered.

I, for one, would forgive him his pledge not to post here again if Bo were hired.

Yep he was, but I kind of thought that if TO came back he would get the boosters who were ticked about Pud leaving would come back too. I'm pretty sure that's what happened. Plus maybe Cook found out what was really going on inside the athletic dept, and not just the football field and changed his mind. That's ok, glad he's back and got the checkbook open hopefully.

It was reported that TO spent time in Cook's box during the A&M game. Eric Crouch and Johnny Rodgers were there as well so I'm sure that helped smooth things over.

I'm not sure what Cook's problem was with the Pederston firing. I thought that behavior was sort of odd. But I think skersfan was going to have a chat with T.O. to see if his concerns can be answered.

I, for one, would forgive him his pledge not to post here again if Bo were hired.

Cook and Pedey are close friends. So I think he was getting one sided info, and then got the whole story from TO,and that calmed the waters. Just guessing.

Cook and Pedey are close friends. So I think he was getting one sided info, and then got the whole story from TO,and that calmed the waters. Just guessing.

Id say that is probably the case. Im sure there were other, less vocal, boosters this happened to as well.

It was reported that TO spent time in Cook's box during the A&M game. Eric Crouch and Johnny Rodgers were there as well so I'm sure that helped smooth things over.

Man must have a big ego that needed tending.