The Advantages of Wearing Your Husker Gear

Last year my wife…a Husker cynic (yeah, yeah…I married her for her looks, not her football sense), broke down and got me some Husker apparel for Christmas: Three regular T-shirts, a long-sleeve T and a jacket. I think she got them only to shut me up but the joke is on her because my gear has paid off big time. Since wearing my gear I’ve received:

A free 12-pack from a bunch of 20-somethings at the Iowa Speedway who saw me walking through the parking lot and started yelling “SKURS! SKURS!” at the top of their lungs

A free dinner at a restaurant in Branson from an expatriot of Beatrice who said he was sick of seeing that ugly yellow and black Missouri stuff that all the idiots down there wear

A phone number from a fairly decent looking blonde Nebraska graduate from the class of 1986 while I was enjoying some adult beverages at the local sports bar (my wife made me throw it away…. <_< )

A kind of cool Riddell Nebraska mini-football helmet.

A couple of free tickets to a Van Halen concert (with David Lee Roth no less!)

And a vendor just dropped me off four tickets to the Nebraska/ISU basketball game on the 16th…along with a VIP Parking Pass because they had noticed my Husker jacket hanging up while they were here on a sales call.

In addition…I was asked by 7 total strangers what I thought about Cally getting fired and another 15 asking me if I thought Cally should be fired. All that in addition to hundreds of questions about “What’s wrong with Nebraska?” that I was asked from the East Coast to the West Coast throughout the football season.

Finally, a friend in Alabama saw a picture of me with my Nebraska jacket on and deciding not to be outdone, sent me an Alabama jacket so now I have a jacket I can wear to the dirt track races without having to worry about my good Nebraska jacket getting dirty!

Husker gear! Wear it for respect…and free stuff!

I live in Oklahoma and i see a Nebraska fan, if i am lucky, once every two weeks. i have to disagree with you though about the osu fans. One of my friends is a total idiot and likes to mouth me about how osu beat nebraska in lincoln.....so the other day i printed off osu's team history where they have 18 bowl births to nebraska'a 44 and they had 55 losing seasons.....it was pretty hilarious. I am still yet to get free stuff tho, cuz the only thing i get free is harassment.lol

The problem you guys in other states have is all geography...see, here in Iowa, most of the big population centers are located in the Eastern half of the state....which is dominated by arrogant Hawkeye fans. Most of these people don't even know there is a western half of Iowa (they think if they go west of Stuart on the interstate that they will fall off the edge of the earth). Regardless...a lot of western Iowans end up in living and working in the central and eastern parts of the state...and these people are Cornhusker fans. When they were growing up, the eastern elitists heaped insults and scorn on the western people...hicks, farmers, bumpkins....They treated us like outcasts, like we weren't as good as they were. But not Nebraska football. Nebraska Football never told us we were hicks or country bumpkins. Nebraska football said..."hey Western Iowa. Turn on the TV and watch us kick Iowa's ass!" So we did. Nerbaska football accepted us and we accepted Nebraska football! Now, we folks who migrated away from the west have a brotherhood with our Nebraska gear used to identify our heritage and background. You see someone with Nebraska gear on, you know that they aren't afraid to drive down a gravel road in their pick up truck...that they probably walked beans at least once in their life...that they could actually find places like Malvern, Treynor and Onawa on a map without having to look at the index...The Nebraska tradition will live on in Iowa...as the orphaned west continues to support the family.

Wow...was that corny or what?

Corny, but deep and true.lol. I was born in Council Bluffs and know exactly what youre talking about.....now i am stuck in the sooner circle jerk known as oklahoma :(

I used to be a regular at the Depot in Council Bluffs lo these many years ago....then I got married. The funeral for "fun" took place immediately following my wedding day...<_<

The problem you guys in other states have is all geography...see, here in Iowa, most of the big population centers are located in the Eastern half of the state....which is dominated by arrogant Hawkeye fans. Most of these people don't even know there is a western half of Iowa (they think if they go west of Stuart on the interstate that they will fall off the edge of the earth). Regardless...a lot of western Iowans end up in living and working in the central and eastern parts of the state...and these people are Cornhusker fans. When they were growing up, the eastern elitists heaped insults and scorn on the western people...hicks, farmers, bumpkins....They treated us like outcasts, like we weren't as good as they were. But not Nebraska football. Nebraska Football never told us we were hicks or country bumpkins. Nebraska football said..."hey Western Iowa. Turn on the TV and watch us kick Iowa's ass!" So we did. Nerbaska football accepted us and we accepted Nebraska football! Now, we folks who migrated away from the west have a brotherhood with our Nebraska gear used to identify our heritage and background. You see someone with Nebraska gear on, you know that they aren't afraid to drive down a gravel road in their pick up truck...that they probably walked beans at least once in their life...that they could actually find places like Malvern, Treynor and Onawa on a map without having to look at the index...The Nebraska tradition will live on in Iowa...as the orphaned west continues to support the family.

Wow...was that corny or what?

Well living in Sioux City for 10 years I can tell ya that there isnt alot of husker love there.CY is right about the eastern half, When I moved to Cedar Rapids all I heard was Hawkeyes this Hawkeyes that, but man they totally imploded when the Clones beat em. It was great!!! :clap:clap