Call out of the students

I'm not a bit surprised. What's wrong with being a football school? I bet the student section at Duke football games leaves something to be desired. The student section at Husker games is absolutely nuts... I love it.

That being said, this is my fifth year at UNL and I've been to one basketball game. Yawn.

The whole thing about polite applause in the article isn't restricted to basketball: I think the crowd at our football games could loosen up a bit more and be loud as well. I'm not saying all fans at Husker games are tame, but it seems like a good percentage of fans (mainly the ones carrying an AARP card) are content to just sit there and be relatively quiet. I'm not saying it makes them any less of a fan, people support their team in different ways. But I wish we had more drunken 20-45 year old guys who would strain their vocal cords than we do. I need to start buying student section tickets when I go to our games.

Yep thats just what we need is more drunks supporting the program.

If you are not drunk, you should not be allowed into the football game. When can we get that to be a rule.

The stadium is quite loud when the team is performing at a high level. We are respected because of our fans and sell out tradition. Not because of a bunch of screaming drunks, that half the time do not even know what the score is.

AARP member hear and I would guess I am as loud and supportive as any young kid. But I do not have to be drunk to appreciate Nebraska football. Sad state of affairs when that becomes something we are looking for. This program is changing it seems, life is not about being drunk and irresponsible, it is about bettering yourself, getting an education and cheering your team. Not to show up in a drunken stupor.

Sorry, bethel, I just do not agree with that idea. A few beers is fine, but I saw some at my last tailgate at SC that did not even get to the game, passed out in my trailer or under it for that matter.

I have never been a drinker, life is to short to waste a second of it.

I wasn't advocating drunken stupidity or being disrespectful. I'm not saying I want us to turn into a bunch of Colorado fans, and I'm sorry if it came off that way. And I have to admit, I've never been to a game when we were good, so that definitely plays into it, and I should reserve judgment until I do. But I just wish I could see the fervor that you see every Saturday in places like Baton Rouge or Gainesville. And to be honest, I just have never seen it in Memorial Stadium. Hopefully Bo can change that. Point is, I never intended to imply that being drunk makes you a better fan.

I was at the Texas game year before last, that was pretty loud. It convinced my son to be a Nebraska fan. He has been to several super bowls and lots of raiders/chiefs/charger games and he felt it was way more electric and exciting than any football game he had ever been to. He thought college football was a joke until that game. Of course now working for the University of Missouri he is a stinken Tiger fan. I may have to kill him.

We are down right now, there is no question about that. But if Coach Pelini gets the fire back into this team, the way I think he will, we will see the fire and passion in the stands. There are alot of old fans in the stands, but that does not mean they are all quiet. Some are and every right to be. I still respect my elders, and that is a way of life in Nebraska, or at least it used to be.

Keep the faith, we shall return.

I was at the Texas game year before last, that was pretty loud. It convinced my son to be a Nebraska fan. He has been to several super bowls and lots of raiders/chiefs/charger games and he felt it was way more electric and exciting than any football game he had ever been to. He thought college football was a joke until that game. Of course now working for the University of Missouri he is a stinken Tiger fan. I may have to kill him.

We are down right now, there is no question about that. But if Coach Pelini gets the fire back into this team, the way I think he will, we will see the fire and passion in the stands. There are alot of old fans in the stands, but that does not mean they are all quiet. Some are and every right to be. I still respect my elders, and that is a way of life in Nebraska, or at least it used to be.

Keep the faith, we shall return.

And that's the way it SHOULD be. I take pride in being a Nebraska fan because of how respectful we are. Anyways, I guess the lesson here is that I should keep my mouth shut till I see a game of some relevance and we are actually good----I'm pretty much putting aside money already for the OU/NU game in '09 when we are both undefeated and Gameday is in town.

The thing I got the most from that article was:

Worst of all is some of the shirts these people wear to games. What’s with a neon-green shirt that says "Nebraska"? That’s like a Diet Coke in the hands of a fat girl. It’s not getting the job done.

:clap Great analogy, Nebraska fans at a basketball game are not use to sucess. Even if ESPN comes to town for a basketball game the fans aint gonna go completely bonkers if they havn't done that for a team in 10 years. The fan base aint there yet, and I stress yet. Doc is doing a wonderful job in getting the program to were it needs to be. Hes showing the kids that they can beat ranked opponents. You have to look at the games themselfs when you want to ask about fan base's. NU vs KSU football, heated and hated come to mind. NU vs KSU BB, ??? exactly, theres really no history there. Thats something that cant be built up over night. If Doc can continue to win games consistantly then the fan base is sure to increase to the times. It seems every 10 years we get a BB team that manages to come close/or does break into the top 25. But 10 years is three generations in tearms of alumni. Im sorry peeps but thats a long time to say :koolaid2: too.