sign09.png

Player: Jason Ankrah

Hometown: Gaithersburg, MD

Position: DE

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 248 lbs.

40 time: 4.79

Visit Date: 11-8-08

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Clemson, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina State, Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

Favorites: Nebraska, Clemson, Michigan, Michigan State, Maryland, Virginia Tech

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: rating.gifrating.gifrating.gifrating.gif

#10 DE

Scout: rating.gifrating.gifrating.gifrating.gif

#25 DE

ESPN Grade: 78

#47 DE

Assessing the talent:

"It is not tough to see why Ankrah garners attention from college coaches. He is a defensive end prospect with good natural size and could develop nicely into a strong-side end at the college level. He has a solid get-off, but needs to be more consistent. When he gets off the ball and into a gap he has enough explosiveness to get into the backfield and be disruptive. He is a physical kid at the point of attack and has the ability to hold his ground. When he shoots his hands and keeps his pad level down he is tough to run at. Needs to be more consistent with his hands. He is physical and will try and slam into blockers shoulder first and deliver a blow, but can get caught up when he does that and can be pushed off the ball. Displays solid recognition skills. Can slant into gaps and come across the ball and squeeze down. He displays solid speed. Has adequate short-area change-of-direction skills. He will flash the ability to break down and make the tackle, but can have some trouble gearing down and reeling in a ball carrier in space. As a pass rusher he has the ability to bull rush. He is not a speed edge rusher, but displays the ability to attack the outside shoulder and will try and work moves. He needs to refine and develop a plan, but you like to see him try and throw a rip and use his hands to defeat blockers. Ankrah is a good prospect and has the ability to develop into a solid and productive starter at the college level."

- from ESPN

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 50%. Between us and Penn State.

JASONANKRAH10_3405.JPG

• 2 months later...

Latest news from Huskerjournal.com

Jason has offers from Illinois, Oregon, Maryland, Nebraska, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Michigan State, Syracuse and others. Jason said he attended North Carolina, North Carolina State, Syracuse and Penn State Junior Days.

“I don’t know much about Nebraska I will visit them on an official visit this fall.” said Ankrah, “Coach John Papuchis use to play at my high school. He is a cool guy. J P sends me a lot of letters.”

“Coach J P said I could play early as a rush end type. He said I get to the quarterback and good against the run.”

“Distance is really not a factor. I lived here my whole life and I would like to leave the area, but something tells me its home here.”

“I like Virginia Tech defense its ridiculous.” he said, “They bring a lot of pressure to the quarterback and I like how the defensive backs play.”

“Maryland said they wanted me bad.” said Ankrah, “They said people would treat me like a super star. I went to their (Maryland) game and it was fun. I haven’t been to a game at Maryland but seen the campus before. It’s only a 30 minute drive from home.”

“Penn State has not offered me yet they want to see my test scores. I take the ACT test again next year. If they do offer Penn State would be in my top six. Penn State has a former teammate of mine that plays there now.” he said

“I would like to go to school with my teammate Travis Hawkins we have similar offers. I don’t know when I will commit it could be before season, during the season or after.” said Ankrah

“I would like to go to school with my teammate Travis Hawkins we have similar offers. I don’t know when I will commit it could be before season, during the season or after.” said Ankrah

Have we offered Travis Hawkins? If not, why? He is a 4-star CB with big-time offers. He has visited Maryland with Ankrah and said he wants to visit Virginia Tech and Tennessee with Ankrah. We should get these guys to visit when we play Virginia Tech.

• 5 weeks later...

Meh. Favors either just Penn State (Scout) or maybe Penn State, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Michigan and Maryland and still wants to see some more schools (Rivals). Not sure if he is still planning an official to Nebraska. OTOH his favorite seems to change to the school he has just visited, so who knows.

• 2 months later...

ESPN still mentions Nebraska in the running:

Hawkins' teammate, defensive end Jason Ankrah, was also in State College on Saturday night. Hawkins, who is considering scholarship offers from Penn State, Michigan, Virginia Tech, Clemson and Nebraska, was very impressed with what he saw this past weekend at Penn State.
  • 1 month later...

Was nice seeing him and Terrence Stephens decked out in Husker Gear today, probably doesnt mean much however.

Of course according to the OWH they came out of the tunnel and gave each other a "Damn it's cold" look.

In that regard I always like the counter by Mike Ditka who pointed out that half the NFL teams play in cold weather climates so they might as well get used to it now.

Was nice seeing him and Terrence Stephens decked out in Husker Gear today, probably doesnt mean much however.

Of course according to the OWH they came out of the tunnel and gave each other a "Damn it's cold" look.

In that regard I always like the counter by Mike Ditka who pointed out that half the NFL teams play in cold weather climates so they might as well get used to it now.

meh, arent they from Maryland?

they should be used to the cold by now