sign09.png

Player: Rex Burkhead

Hometown: Plano, TX

Position: ATH

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 191 lbs.

40 time: 4.5

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Kansas, Texas Tech, LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Cal, Michigan, Virginia

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: :star:star:star

Big Red Report: :star:star:star:star

Assessing the talent: ESPN evaluation says "Burkhead is one of those junk yard dogs that makes your roster meaner and tougher and we love that about him. He's a warrior, throwback type of player that will fight, scrap and sellout to get the job done and make the play." Hard-nosed John Lynch qualities that likely projects at strong safety and special teams. Old school baller. Rex the "junkyard dog"...I like it. More here: http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/...26season%3d2009

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 20%. I gotta believe this guy will give NU and Pelini a good look.

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

safety?

I would guess RB.... if you saw the highlights from recent camps, he is a big threat with the ball in his hands (he has deceptive quickness - his juke and cutting ability are superb.) He raised a lot eyebrows, and got a lot of great reviews. At least try him at RB and if he doesn't make it there, allow him to move if he wants.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest from Husker Journal:

MAY 23, 2008. PREP STAR

REX BURKHEAD, RB, 5-11, 195, 4,5, PLANO, TEXAS

Rex has more than 25 offers. Some schools include Auburn, Alabama, Texas Tech, Nebraska, Michigan, LSU, Virginia and others.

“I already visited Nebraska (spring game) it was a great time.” said Burkhead, “More than 80,000 fans. It was cool.”

“I met Coach (Bo) Pelini, he seemed like a great guy. He wants me to stop by this summer, I don’t know if I will or not. I want to visit some other schools that offered me. We haven’t decided which ones.”

“Nebraska coaches said they like how I play. I can catch the ball, and I’m a good runner. I talked to Coach Beck and they still want me.”

“I’m originally from Kentucky.” he said, “I think I will visit them the first week of summer. Basically my whole family still lives in Kentucky. Kentucky coaches had just started recruiting me. The coaches came by my high school two weeks ago.”

“I definitely have interest in Alabama.” said Burkhead, “I went to their summer camp last year. It was really nice.”

“I went to Texas Tech Junior Days I liked it up there.” he said, “I like how everything is put together. The stadium, practice field and weight room is all in one area. I talk to the Texas Tech coaches once a week.”

“I don’t have a top five right now. I will take all five visits before I decide.”

Seems like Bo's kinda guy, hardcore. When Beck came on-board we were supposed to be upping our clout in Texas. While we have a couple commits out of Texas already anybody could have gotten those guys 'N, now I'd like to see us start showing that clout and hauling in a player or two there is real competition for. This one will be tough though, several big-dogs are into him.