SIGNED: LB Eric Martin

Yep:

LB Martin coming with big plans

Linebacker Eric Martin has crossed his final academic hurdle and is set to arrive in Lincoln on Friday, he said Sunday.

He's coming with big plans.

"I want to be a starter at (middle) linebacker -- that's my goal," said the 2009 Husker signee from Moreno Valley, Calif. "If not, I'll start somewhere else (at another LB position)."

The 6-foot-2, 235-pound Martin obviously gets an "A" for confidence. He also received an "A" in an English class he completed last week, he said, which clears his path academically to join the Huskers.

NU's preseason camp begins Aug. 8.

"Coach Carl (Pelini) wants me to get out there to Lincoln as quickly as possible to start learning the playbook," said Martin, referring to the Huskers' defensive coordinator.

Martin needed an "A" and a "B" in two summer classes to qualify academically. After receiving an "A" in his first one, he also produced the top grade in the second.

Martin was kicking himself a little Sunday for not getting his academics in order until last week.

"I guess people get lazy," he said. "You get a little senioritis. It's human nature, so I ended up going to summer school."

Martin was a force on the gridiron, starring for a dominant defense at Rancho Verde High School. The Mustangs finished with a 10-0 record this past regular season after allowing only eight points per game and recording four shutouts. Martin led the team with 130 tackles and had eight sacks.

One of only two linebackers in Nebraska's 2009 recruiting class (the other being Chris Williams of Abilene, Texas), Martin was rated as the nation's No. 26 inside linebacker prospect according to Rivals.com and No. 20 among middle linebackers according to Scout.com. Both services gave him three stars.

He's hungry to contribute immediately for Nebraska, which returns two seniors (Colton Koehler and Phillip Dillard) among top players at middle linebacker.

"The last three weeks, I've been working out two times a day, every day," Martin said. "I'll be ready."

• 4 months later...

Carl spoke at the Big Red Breakfast this morning, and had this to say about Eric:

-Finally, when asked if true freshman Eric Martin would ever break into the defense, Pelini predicted that “he will be the defense.”

Martin has been an absolute BEAST this year on kickoffs. I cannot wait to see what he can do when he gets on the field with the regular defense, once he's up to speed and just playing with reckless abondon. Once he develops that comfort, people are going to start talking about dear ole NU linebackers again.

Also, Carl had this to share:

- Pelini recalled a story of watching Martin play in a California all-star game alongside the top recruit in the country, who was headed to USC. Pelini said it was clear in that game who the better player was, even to Pete Carroll.

"Every time Eric would make a tackle, Pete Carroll would look my way and just shake his head," Pelini said.