S Jairus Jones

Player: Jairus Jones

Hometown: Wharton, FL

Position: S

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 210 lbs.

40 time: 4.6

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, FL Atlantic, LSU, Michigan State, Iowa, Indiana, NC State

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Big Red Report: :star:star:star

Assessing the talent: SS prospect had 89 tackles in junior year. Also plays RB for his HS. Local report here: http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/c...s-up-two-offers

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 20%. We are early to offer. Great to see we are recruiting FL hard!

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Player: Jarius Jones

Hometown: Tampa, FL

Position: S

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 195 lbs.

40 time: 4.6

Bench max:

Squat max:

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Florida Atlantic, LSU, Michigan State

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: stargold.gifstargold.gifstargold.gif

(#83 S)

Bid Red Report: stargold.gifstargold.gifstargold.gif

(#43 S)

Assessing the talent:

Father, James Jones, was a running back at Florida and later in the NFL.

Info via Scout

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 10%.

• 1 month later...

Latest from Tampa paper (via Recruiting Planet):

No decision soon for Wharton safety

Wharton safety Jairus Jones, whom Rivals.com rates as the country's 63rd-best athlete, wanted to pick a college before the start of his senior season, but that now appears unlikely. "I'm still trying to decide," he said Tuesday.

He has plenty of options. Of the schools that have offered him a scholarship, Jones says LSU leads, followed by Michigan State and Nebraska. Iowa, Illinois and Indiana also are in the mix. Florida, which hasn't offered, remains in the hunt, too. "If (the Gators) offer, they'll jump to like one or two," Jones said.

Here's what Jones, who also plays running back and wide receiver, had to say about each of his leaders ...

LSU: "I don't really know that much about them. But one of my dad's old teammates is there. And they're always in the top 10. That's why I like them."

Nebraska: "They're an up-and-coming team. Their defense used to be real good back in the '90s. Maybe I can help get them back to that type of defense."

Michigan State: "That's close to where I used to live when I was born (when his dad, running back James Jones, played for the Lions)."

Florida: "That's been my favorite team since I was real young."

Jones expects to take five official visits this fall and have a decision sometime after the season ends.

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

He is showing an LSU offer from other recruiting sites (it's paid info, so I won't name the sites).

I think with #1 S Craig Loston switching from Clemson to LSU that offer is probably no longer good. (Unless the info on Loston in bogus or LSU is taking more than one S this year.)

Hope you're right, I'd say LSU is the big competition for him. He'd be a hell of a get.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this Scout (free) article says we have cooled on this dude:

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/817690.html

From the sound of it, so is everyone else:

When we last spoke with Jones, he was supposed to visit Michigan State on Oct. 18 and was also in talks with LSU and Nebraska for visits. Turns out that LSU and Nebraska are no longer recruiting Jones and the only school that he's still hearing from consistently is North Carolina State.

Not sure that it is grades (Jones reports a 3.0 core GPA and a 960 SAT). Probably just a lack of spots.