Position: LB/RB

Height: 6’2”

Weight:200

40 time:4.55

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: NR/**

Insiders: NR/**

Commit Date: 11/21/04

In depth analysis, stats, pros, con, etc. to come throughout the day and the week. Feel free to begin discussion on any topic you would like.

1) What are your first impressions of this recruit (speed, strength, character, leadership, grades, etc)?

2) Rank his importance to the Huskers 1-10 (10 the most important).

3) Will he contribute right away? In what capacity?

4) Who does this player most remind you of?

5) Where do you see this player in 2009?

I was impressed with what I saw on the recruiting wrap-up last night. The kid seems to play with a chip on his shoulder and that is awesome for a defensive/special teams player.

Totally agree, after listening to him last night I can't wait to see him on the field. Seems to have the work ethic that will make him a factor in college too. I wouldn't mess with his brother, that's for sure!

1) What are your first impressions of this recruit (speed, strength, character, leadership, grades, etc)?

Souder's a Nebraska boy, what more needs to be said? He'll be the leader in the locker room that prides himself in the tradition that is Nebraska football. He can hit like a sledgehammer, hardest hitter we have in this recruiting class on film, and has great character and is a good student. Turned down a full ride to Iowa State for a greyshirt at Nebraska if that's any indication. After a year or two in Kennedy's strength program, he's gonna be a terror on the field.

2) Rank his importance to the Huskers 1-10 (10 the most important).

7. Most people agree Souder is the best player in the state of Nebraska this year. It's important to keep the tradition of Nebraska players on the roster up. While it's kind of strange that we have triple the amount of players from California that we from Nebraska, the players we do have are the best three in the state, and our only three offers (Matthies was never formally offered I don't believe).

3) Will he contribute right away? In what capacity?

Whenever he comes in he will be a killer special teams player, likely the one who replace Rigoni as the heart of our special teams.

4) Who does this player most remind you of?

Hard to say. On our team, Rigoni. Hardest hitter with miles of heart.

5) Where do you see this player in 2009?

I see him starting at SS, either as a Senior or a RS Junior. IMO he'll do much better with a switch back to safety than playing at LB.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just on rivals, and someone posted a comment about Souder being a bust because he knows a kid that played against him and said Souder wasn't very good.

Well, another poster responded, claims to be Jeff Souder via his brother's account, and just squashed it! Said he loves hearing people say he is not going to succeed and can't wait to prove everyone wrong. I love the attitude some of these kids are bringing, especially Souder! You can't teach and mold and form heart and dedication, and Jeff seems to have it at the highest level. I hope he makes something happen here before he graduates.

If the poster was or wasn't Jeff is unknown, but if so it was a hell of a response.

Personally I would love to see him at SS if he gains a little bit of speed. One thing I believe we have been missing is a Saftey who will knock a wideout out of his cleats. That is my only knock against the Bullock brothers. We havent seen a Ronnie Lott/Rodney Harrison type safety since Mike Brown. No matter what anyone says a hitter like that does indeed make a difference, both in the run and pass game. Wideouts can talk all the smack they like, but you can rest assured they know exactly where a hitter like Mike B or Ronnie Lott is on the field, and the do think about that.

Personally I would love to see him at SS if he gains a little bit of speed. One thing I believe we have been missing is a Saftey who will knock a wideout out of his cleats. That is my only knock against the Bullock brothers. We havent seen a Ronnie Lott/Rodney Harrison type safety since Mike Brown. No matter what anyone says a hitter like that does indeed make a difference, both in the run and pass game. Wideouts can talk all the smack they like, but you can rest assured they know exactly where a hitter like Mike B or Ronnie Lott is on the field, and the do think about that.

You cannot teach this kind of toughness. You either got it or you don't.

Personally I would love to see him at SS if he gains a little bit of speed. One thing I believe we have been missing is a Saftey who will knock a wideout out of his cleats. That is my only knock against the Bullock brothers. We havent seen a Ronnie Lott/Rodney Harrison type safety since Mike Brown.  No matter what anyone says a hitter like that does indeed make a difference, both in the run and pass game. Wideouts can talk all the smack they like, but you can rest assured they know exactly where a hitter like Mike B or Ronnie Lott is on the field, and the do think about that.

You cannot teach this kind of toughness. You either got it or you don't.

Quite true, a teenager working out with a S.E.A.L. = toughness in my book. I truly think Souder will be THE sleeper of this class, akin to Clint Finley coming from the unknown to knocking people out.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...