ATH Ronnie Wingo Jr.

Player: Ronnie Wingo Jr.

Hometown: St. Louis, MO (University)

Position: RB CB

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 212

40 time: 4.4

Visit Date: 6-04-08

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Okalahoma, Tennessee, Minnesota, Alabama,

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: :star :star :star :star #4 Ath, #57 Ovr

Bid Red Report: :star :star :star :star #12 RB

Assessing the talent:

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 10%, visited NU today, but it will hard to pull away from everyone

• 3 weeks later...

From the Arkansas Democrat Gazette

THE RECRUITING GUY: ‘Big back knows Hogs interested

By Richard Davenport

Originally published 03:05 a.m., June 24, 2008

Updated 05:45 a.m., June 25, 2008

LITTLE ROCK — Arkansas has recruited some notable football prospects from the St. Louis area over the years. Names like Steve Atwater, Ben Cowins and Bobby Joe Edmonds are a few that come to mind.

The Razorbacks are back in the area and hoping to add a highly regarded running back to the 2009 recruiting class.

Ronnie Wingo, 6-3, 212 pounds, 4.41 seconds in the 40-yard dash, of St. Louis University High School was on the Arkansas campus Thursday for an unofficial visit. He learned pretty quickly how much Coach Bobby Petrino wants someone like him in the backfield.

“I liked the school a lot, the coaching staff was nice, the people were nice,” Wingo said. “They really, really, really stressed how much they wanted me to come there. I can’t remember how many times I heard ‘We need a big back,’ ‘We need you,’ ‘We need you.’ Coach Petrino kept saying he liked big backs. They said they need a big back over and over and over. He had a lot of big backs at Louisville, so I know he wasn’t blowing me smoke.”

Wingo appreciated running backs coach Tim Horton’s approach toward recruiting him.

“He’s a nice guy,” he said. “He was straightforward. Some schools talk about how you can come play right away. He said you come in and do your job and you’ll play.”

Wingo has 12 scholarship offers, including offers from Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Alabama, Tennessee and Nebraska. He rushed for more than 1,500 yards and 17 touchdowns as a junior, and as a sophomore he had 280 carries for 1,475 yards and 11 touchdowns.

CBS College Sports national recruiting analyst Tom Lemming believes Wingo is the best player in the Show Me State and one of the finest running backs in the nation.

“He’s the No. 1 player in my opinion in the state of Missouri,” Lemming said. “He’s a bona fide tailback that runs low to the ground. He’s very strong and productive. He can catch and run and block. I think he’s one of the premier running backs in the country.”

The day before arriving in Fayetteville on Thursday, Wingo and his father visited Oklahoma. They have previously visited Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa and Kansas. Wingo’s past two trips have him rethinking.

“To be honest, this week before I visited Oklahoma and Arkansas, I was about to commit to Missouri and was sure about it,” said Wingo, who won the 200 meters last summer at the 2007 AAU National Junior Olympics in 21.57 seconds. “But I went to Oklahoma and Arkansas, and it’s wide-open now.”

Wingo said he initially thought he would make an early decision but now plans to take all five of his official visits. He said Arkansas is definitely in the running for one of them.

As with most other recruits who have visited and seen Arkansas’ weight room, Wingo was awe-struck and said no other school’s facility compared with what he saw at Fayetteville.

“The weight room, oh my, that was like two universities’ weight rooms put together,” Wingo said. “They told me over the phone about it, but it was just crazy how big it was. Everywhere else we’ve been there’s no comparison at all.”

From the Arkansas Democrat Gazette

THE RECRUITING GUY: ‘Big back knows Hogs interested

By Richard Davenport

Originally published 03:05 a.m., June 24, 2008

Updated 05:45 a.m., June 25, 2008

LITTLE ROCK — Arkansas has recruited some notable football prospects from the St. Louis area over the years. Names like Steve Atwater, Ben Cowins and Bobby Joe Edmonds are a few that come to mind.

The Razorbacks are back in the area and hoping to add a highly regarded running back to the 2009 recruiting class.

Ronnie Wingo, 6-3, 212 pounds, 4.41 seconds in the 40-yard dash, of St. Louis University High School was on the Arkansas campus Thursday for an unofficial visit. He learned pretty quickly how much Coach Bobby Petrino wants someone like him in the backfield.

“I liked the school a lot, the coaching staff was nice, the people were nice,” Wingo said. “They really, really, really stressed how much they wanted me to come there. I can’t remember how many times I heard ‘We need a big back,’ ‘We need you,’ ‘We need you.’ Coach Petrino kept saying he liked big backs. They said they need a big back over and over and over. He had a lot of big backs at Louisville, so I know he wasn’t blowing me smoke.”

Wingo appreciated running backs coach Tim Horton’s approach toward recruiting him.

“He’s a nice guy,” he said. “He was straightforward. Some schools talk about how you can come play right away. He said you come in and do your job and you’ll play.”

Wingo has 12 scholarship offers, including offers from Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Alabama, Tennessee and Nebraska. He rushed for more than 1,500 yards and 17 touchdowns as a junior, and as a sophomore he had 280 carries for 1,475 yards and 11 touchdowns.

CBS College Sports national recruiting analyst Tom Lemming believes Wingo is the best player in the Show Me State and one of the finest running backs in the nation.

“He’s the No. 1 player in my opinion in the state of Missouri,” Lemming said. “He’s a bona fide tailback that runs low to the ground. He’s very strong and productive. He can catch and run and block. I think he’s one of the premier running backs in the country.”

The day before arriving in Fayetteville on Thursday, Wingo and his father visited Oklahoma. They have previously visited Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa and Kansas. Wingo’s past two trips have him rethinking.

“To be honest, this week before I visited Oklahoma and Arkansas, I was about to commit to Missouri and was sure about it,” said Wingo, who won the 200 meters last summer at the 2007 AAU National Junior Olympics in 21.57 seconds. “But I went to Oklahoma and Arkansas, and it’s wide-open now.”

Wingo said he initially thought he would make an early decision but now plans to take all five of his official visits. He said Arkansas is definitely in the running for one of them.

As with most other recruits who have visited and seen Arkansas’ weight room, Wingo was awe-struck and said no other school’s facility compared with what he saw at Fayetteville.

“The weight room, oh my, that was like two universities’ weight rooms put together,” Wingo said. “They told me over the phone about it, but it was just crazy how big it was. Everywhere else we’ve been there’s no comparison at all.”

Wow. Seems like after visits to NU, Missouri, Oklahoma and Arkansas, Wingo places the Huskers in last place. Not good testimony of where NU lines up in the pecking order. It is, of course one guy, and one data point is not enough to draw upon to make for much of a trend or story. But, Lecner chose Wisconsin over NU, and, in addition, many players have visited already, some have camped, and few have committed (none of who were recruited hard by any major players). This is beginning to give the impression that only hardcore NU fans (like us) view NU any longer as a major player on the college football scene. Recruits have been, well.... less than impressed. Not good. Nothing that some over-achieving winning can't correct rather quickly. That said, apart from some over-achieving winning in the next few years, NU is in serious trouble.

We aren't exactly in the market for a big back anymore.

If its Ronnie Wingo we are. Robinson and Zimmererer would doubtless be moved to other positions if the right people came along. That is, Wingo is at another level (or two) above Robinson and if signed on, Robinson would be a LB, a fullback or something else. There is no way that NU would pass on Wingo if they had a shot.

We aren't exactly in the market for a big back anymore.

If its Ronnie Wingo we are. Robinson and Zimmererer would doubtless be moved to other positions if the right people came along. That is, Wingo is at another level (or two) above Robinson and if signed on, Robinson would be a LB, a fullback or something else. There is no way that NU would pass on Wingo if they had a shot.

I agree. I'd think NU would take talent whenever possible.

At one time there was no touching Nebraska on this part of recruiting

At one time there was no touching Nebraska on this part of recruiting

Is there even any point in posting about this kid? It certainly sounds like he has no intention of going to NU. Too bad, looks like a real stud.