Bush misused Iraq intelligence: Senate report

I totally agree that Congress screwed us on failing to be a check on the President. That doesn't, however, absolve the President of his failures and malfeasance. I disagree with the idea that we did everything to avoid war, or that it was even necessary. Yeah, sanctions weren't doing a great job, but there were other choices besides sanctions and war.

I totally agree that Congress screwed us on failing to be a check on the President. That doesn't, however, absolve the President of his failures and malfeasance. I disagree with the idea that we did everything to avoid war, or that it was even necessary. Yeah, sanctions weren't doing a great job, but there were other choices besides sanctions and war.

:yeah EXACTLY!!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

This much we pledge -- and more. - President John F. Kennedy- January, 1961 Inaugural Address

It's too bad, this message seems to be lost in todays world. Sad.

It is a simpleton approach to interpret that quote as Kennedy saying we will always go to war in the name of assuring the success of liberty. Don't forget that it was Kennedy that exercised restraint and did not choose military conflict when the Soviet Union parked nuclear warheads 90 miles from the United States in Cuba.

Sometimes bearing "any burden" in support of liberty means not going to war when that would be the easy answer.

And it seems pretty foolish to be suggesting that Bush's war is about liberty, when he is, at the same time making moves to restrict the liberty of our own citizens (i.e., warrantless wiretaps, indefinite detention of citizens without judicial review, etc., etc.).

Simpleton and macho? You can do better than that. The quote means what it says. There aren't any nuances in his statement. All measures will be used, nothing is to be taken off the table plain and simple. We will lend our support whether it be money, equipment, and sometimes our military in support of liberty.

Kennedy took the country's defense condition (DEF CON) to 2, scrambling 50% of the country's bombers on a 24/7 rotation, and moving the 101st Airborne, 82nd Airborne, 1st Armored, and Recon Marines to the southern most states is a little more than restraint. I believe that today's American left would call this warmongering. The show of military strength and the embarrassment of the photos that proved that offensive weapons were being deployed in Cuba had the Russians backed against the wall. The talking didn't start until the Russians were looking for a way out to save face.

As for the liberty snark... For a party that claims they are the moral protectors of the constitution, they have a history of stomping all over the rights of Americans (i.e., Internment camps without judicial review, illegal imminent domain seizures, and constant maligning of the 2nd Amendment, ect, ect...)

:yeah EXACTLY!!

I never said the president was or is not to bear some of the blame. What other choices would you propose that might have worked.

The sanctions were a toothless joke. The U.N. oil for food program was a total joke, which was being used to buy off key U.N. members to end sanctions. The U.N. is nothing but a extortion ring that tries at every turn to con the American taxpayer out of money. Any body that puts the most egregious violators of human rights on their committees, just speaks volumes about the integrity of the organization.

Nobody here is absolving the current administration of anything. If you've checked any of my posts on this or any subject pertaining to the war, I have criticized about the way it was handled. I'm just pointing out the hypocrites that are claiming that they didn't know what they voted for. That's a load of B.S. Anybody who excuses that is total retard and should be hit in the head with a hammer. I'm just trying to figure out who lied about WMD's in the 90's to fool the Clinton Administration?

75w4XIO9tHU