SIGNED: ATH Taylor Martinez

From HuskerExtra:

NU safety recruit Martinez has interest in trying his hand at QB

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 - 02:17:42 pm CST

Plenty of quarterbacks would have found the nearest path away from the collision.

Not Taylor Martinez. He went searching for the contact.

It’s a play from this past fall that his high school coach, Matt Logan, recalls now with a great deal of fondness.

Martinez had just thrown his first interception in about five games. He’d thrown it to a big linebacker — the kind of linebacker most quarterbacks wouldn’t want any part trying to tackle.

But Martinez, a week from apparently signing on the dotted line to be a Husker, has plenty of hard-hitting safety in him.

The big linebacker would soon know this.

“He hit him so hard. It was such a great hit,” Logan said. “I was thinking it was maybe a preview of what’s to come on the other side of the ball.”

Because of such ferocity, it’s speculated Martinez might best help the Huskers as a safety, a position he started his California high school career playing.

But forgive Martinez for expressing a wish to first see what he can do at quarterback at NU.

After all, he just finished a year in which he threw for about 3,000 yards and rushed for about 750. His play helped lead Corona Centennial High School to an undefeated season that culminated in a state championship win over powerhouse De La Salle High School.

With that came a collection of player-of-the-year awards, hardware that’s not exactly handed out like Skittles in the talent-rich state of California.

And so Martinez has said he will begin as a quarterback at Nebraska.

“That’s what I want. I just want the opportunity to play quarterback,” he told Scout.com. “If that doesn’t work out, I’ll move. But I just want a shot.”

Martinez talked some to NU offensive coordinator Shawn Watson about the possibility of him trying his hand at quarterback when he made his official visit to Lincoln a week-and-a-half ago.

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound Martinez — whose father, Casey, was a safety at Iowa State — played at three different high schools in California. He began playing quarterback his junior season at San Bernardino Cajon High School before transferring to Centennial.

Logan didn’t know who Martinez was upon his arrival, but he quickly found out.

He was looking for a quarterback to replace Matt Scott, who had received a scholarship to Arizona.

What he found in Martinez was the quiet, diligent type. A quarterback with a “very strong and accurate arm.” And even better? “When all else breaks down, he can make a play with his feet. He’s so dang fast.”

He has been timed running the 40 in 4.47 seconds and has produced a vertical leap of 38 inches.

Running a no-huddle spread offense, Centennial put up about 40 points a game this season.

Logan said Martinez has a unique throwing motion, dropping his arm a bit when he throws. “But he has such a quick delivery, it ends up working out OK.”

Of course, competition is heavy at Nebraska at the quarterback spot right now. Sophomore Patrick Witt, junior Zac Lee, redshirt freshman Kody Spano and true freshman Cody Green are already on campus.

As for Martinez’s future quarterback ambitions, Logan said, “I don’t think he felt that way in the summer. But geez, when you throw for 3,000 and run for 750 and have all that success, it can change your mind.”

What Nebraska knows it would have in Martinez is a versatile player

Logan occasionally used Martinez at safety in practice situations, but held back from using him there in games because of practical purposes.

“We didn’t need him there,” the coach said. “We didn’t want to take any unnecessary risks.”

If Martinez does end up in the secondary for Nebraska, he would be one of six defensive backs anticipated to sign with the Huskers in this recruiting class. Competition will be plenty there, too.

But wherever Martinez is on the field, Logan anticipates success won’t be far behind.

“He’s such a tremendous athlete, a very hard-working kid,” Logan said. “He came in here and really worked hard, asked questions, just eager to learn.”

Kids often change highschools in CALLY just to be at a better highschool football program. Its not like here in Omaha where you go to the school that is closest to you unless you get introuble. I wouldnt look to far into that about his commitment. I would have to agree with Big Willie that his motion is lacking even his coach says he dips his arm when throwing. That might work in Highschool with smaller linemen but in college that will hurt you alot with being only 6 foot you will really have to see the passing lanes. I would have to say you will see him on defense or if he has good hands you might see him move to reciever like a Myer from KU.

Kids often change highschools in CALLY just to be at a better highschool football program. Its not like here in Omaha where you go to the school that is closest to you unless you get introuble. I wouldnt look to far into that about his commitment. I would have to agree with Big Willie that his motion is lacking even his coach says he dips his arm when throwing. That might work in Highschool with smaller linemen but in college that will hurt you alot with being only 6 foot you will really have to see the passing lanes. I would have to say you will see him on defense or if he has good hands you might see him move to reciever like a Myer from KU.

Might be able to take advantage of his abilities in trick plays on offense. I wouldn't mind seeing him throw TD passes to Cody Green like that Boeckman to Pryor hookup in the Fiesta Bowl.

And the drama is over.

For now.

That's how I feel too. If he and Green are as good as they say they are, how do you choose between them?

2 qb sets, flee flickers. line 1 up in the slot, and have WR passes. both have wheels, do some option passes. im sure they'll find a way to use both players talents.

• 7 months later...

• 1 year later...

Hell of an athlete. Thing that will be interesting is if he really tears it up this year teams could give him the bums-rush as a qb? He is obviously willing to play safety since he committed here but I still wonder if he'd be tempted away.

I don't like this commitment at this point. Maybe later in the process but lets try to get some bigger guys in first.

Ouch. Someone needs to eat some humble pie now.