Test Your Knowledge: The 25 winningest programs in NCAA D1 History

pelechati

20. Missed North Carolina, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Georgia Tech and Miami of Ohio.

I got 19 . . . can't believe Miami, OH was on the list and neither Florida nor Florida State was.

Florida, FSU and Miami were pretty crappy football programs until relatively recently. Their success has come too recently for them to catch up on a list like this.

20. Missed North Carolina, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Georgia Tech and Miami of Ohio.

I got 19 . . . can't believe Miami, OH was on the list and neither Florida nor Florida State was.

Florida, FSU and Miami were pretty crappy football programs until relatively recently. Their success has come too recently for them to catch up on a list like this.

Hypothetical. You think in 20 years Miami will be on this list?

living out here in MI, i get so tire of U of M fan bragging about having the winniniest record. true, but most of that goes way back to pre-modern era(early 1900's) of college football. these are the days when big schools like michigan was beating up on small colleges like 100 to 0. just thought it was kinda funny how they're always boasting about it :rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

It's possible, but I'd say unlikely. Ultimately, it depends not just on how well they play, but how well (or poorly) other schools ahead of them play. Miami is currently 105 games behind UNC, the current #25 on this list. They would need to be pretty darned successful over the next two decades to close that gap, needing to net over +5 games a year, which is a pretty monumental task. FSU is even further behind (200 games!), so it's basically impossible that they can get there, even if they manage to turn their current slide around. Of the Florida schools, the Gators are best positioned to get into that list since they're currently only 32 games behind UNC. If they continue to have the level of success they've enjoyed over the last 18 years, they should be able to close that gap.

Syracuse and West VA are on the list? :blink:

Remember, this is an all-time list. Many of these teams were historically much more successful than they are currently, or have been in recent decades.

It's possible, but I'd say unlikely. Ultimately, it depends not just on how well they play, but how well (or poorly) other schools ahead of them play. Miami is currently 105 games behind UNC, the current #25 on this list. They would need to be pretty darned successful over the next two decades to close that gap, needing to net over +5 games a year, which is a pretty monumental task. FSU is even further behind (200 games!), so it's basically impossible that they can get there, even if they manage to turn their current slide around. Of the Florida schools, the Gators are best positioned to get into that list since they're currently only 32 games behind UNC. If they continue to have the level of success they've enjoyed over the last 18 years, they should be able to close that gap.

Syracuse and West VA are on the list? :blink:

Remember, this is an all-time list. Many of these teams were historically much more successful than they are currently, or have been in recent decades.

God your right I didnt even think about the win differential. Its amazing to think that this list possibly could not change for a few decades. +5 is crazy.

I got 15, I did get Army but missed a few of the others. I thought Florida State would be on there with Bowden being one of the most winning coaches in NCAA.

FSU's first football game didn't happen until 40ish years after the NCAA was formed, and they only had any real, sustained success over the last 25 years or so. They came onto the scene far too late to overcome historically strong programs that had been in the NCAA since its inception. Even with the success they've enjoyed during Bowden's tenure, they're still 200 games behind the number 25 team on this list, so they've got a long time to go before they're even close to breaking into a list like this.

Of course, if this were a list of 25 teams with the highest number of wins during the last 25 or 50 years, it would look much different.