First Visit to Nebraska - Need Advice

CammoTX

Howdy!

My wife and I scored tickets to the Nebraska - Baylor game this weekend so we are flying into Omaha to see the game. We are both Baylor Bears, and have never been to Nebraska before.

I would really appreciate any advice you guys might have as to what we should do before and after the game.

Are there any cool restaurants/bars in Lincoln or Omaha that we should check out?

Is there a tailgate tradition that we need to see or take part in?

It looks like Bo has your program in the right direction. You all have some of the best fans in all of America; we are really looking forward to experiencing the game with you all.

Sic' Em!

-CammoTX

Glad to have ya here! I, for one, am proud that opposing fans look forward to coming to Lincoln for a game day experience.

I have always had a very good time at Sidewinders bar on "O" street. They do charge a cover to get in, and the drinks are pricey, but the atmosphere is impressive. They have a live band that gets the crowd involved. There has always been a good mix of Nebraska fans and opposing fans, which makes for some fun cheering back and forth.

That's my one suggestion.. you can't go wrong if you are downtown, many good places..

Hope you have a great time!

Welcome to Lincoln...we built this thread last year because we received the same request virtually from fans every home game that were visiting Lincoln...then members will update you on their current favorites.

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18022

Note to members of the board - keep this thread updated!

Note to CammoTX...how are things in Waco in general? I need to get back down there soon as I usually do a lot of business in that area.

Glad to have ya here! I, for one, am proud that opposing fans look forward to coming to Lincoln for a game day experience.

I have always had a very good time at Sidewinders bar on "O" street. They do charge a cover to get in, and the drinks are pricey, but the atmosphere is impressive. They have a live band that gets the crowd involved. There has always been a good mix of Nebraska fans and opposing fans, which makes for some fun cheering back and forth.

That's my one suggestion.. you can't go wrong if you are downtown, many good places..

Actually the name is sidetracks and its a must do before and after the game.

Peter, Paul and Mary are tough to beat.

Welcome to Lincoln...we built this thread last year because we received the same request virtually from fans that were visiting Lincoln...then members will update you on their current favorites.

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18022

Note to members of the board - keep this thread updated!

Note to CammoTX...how are things in Waco in general? I need to get back down there soon as I usually do a lot of business in that area.

I live and work in Houston, but my in-laws live in Waco and I have season tix for BU football so I make it up there pretty frequently.

Waco is moving forward, although not at as fast a pace as many of us would like. Thanks to new retail development and a large downtown revitalization project, there is a lot more to do than when I was in school there a few years back. Here is a good website on stuff being planned downtown: http://heritagesquarewaco.com/

The gameday experience has gotten a lot better ever since Steele was fired back in 2003. The police don't care if you drink before games as long as you use a dixie cup, etc. There are some new bars in town that also add to the experience. That said, as someone who grew up in Alabama and has frequented many an SEC venue, we still have a LONG way to go. Briles has brought optimism to town - something that we haven't had in a long time.

As far as our team goes, we are mediocre. Better than years past, but still a few years off, IMO.

Offensively, we are starting a true Frosh QB )Robert Griffin) who is an amazing athlete. He is very fast but has a hard time reading defenses (as would any 18 year old QB in the Big 12). We have a freak of an athlete in Kendall Wright, who plays inside WR. After that, we have a receiver who is a world-class sprinter but drops passes like crazy (David Gettis). Our running game is getting better, but our O-line is not very good, sans Jason Smith, who Mel Kiper has as the #3 tackle on his big board.

Defensively, we have a good middle linebacker (Joe Pavelek) and that's it. I honestly think that outside of ISU, we have the worst secondary in the Big 12. If you guys can throw it will be a long day for us. Also, our two starting CB's got injured in last week's game!

Actually the name is sidetracks and its a must do before and after the game.

Peter, Paul and Mary are tough to beat.

Oops.. my bad :)

Thanks for correcting me

Howdy!

My wife and I scored tickets to the Nebraska - Baylor game this weekend so we are flying into Omaha to see the game. We are both Baylor Bears, and have never been to Nebraska before.

I would really appreciate any advice you guys might have as to what we should do before and after the game.

Are there any cool restaurants/bars in Lincoln or Omaha that we should check out?

Is there a tailgate tradition that we need to see or take part in?

It looks like Bo has your program in the right direction. You all have some of the best fans in all of America; we are really looking forward to experiencing the game with you all.

Sic' Em!

-CammoTX

Enjoy your stay in lincoln. I wanted to say that a few years back i had the pleasure of being on a baloon chase crew in waco texas. We had the night glow in the balor stadium. You have a beautiful stadium and a really fun town. We went to this bar, i dont quite remember the name but it had i cant even remember how many beers on tap. We all got drunk and pretty funny. Kinda tore up your town that week but it was fun and you guys have great mexican food. Enjoy your trip to lincoln.

You said you are flying into Omaha, are you staying in Omaha or Lincoln?

If staying in Omaha make sure you give ample time to get to the game in the morning as traffic slows to a crawl on game day.

If you are staying in Lincoln hit Mistys for some great food and as others have said, hit sidetracks the night before. Than just hit O Street before the game. There's several great bars on the strip. I'm not a tailgater so I don't really know that scene but I'm sure others hook you up with some info.

You said you are flying into Omaha, are you staying in Omaha or Lincoln?

If staying in Omaha make sure you give ample time to get to the game in the morning as traffic slows to a crawl on game day.

If you are staying in Lincoln hit Mistys for some great food and as others have said, hit sidetracks the night before. Than just hit O Street before the game. There's several great bars on the strip. I'm not a tailgater so I don't really know that scene but I'm sure others hook you up with some info.

We will be staying in Lincoln pretty close to the stadium.

You definitely have to go to sidetracks on fri night its between 9th and 10th on O st. Its a great time there. if you cant or dont want to tailgate before the game go to barrys bar and grill its on 9th and q real close to the stadium and a lot of fun also. after the game just follow the crowd south to O st. if you can t find a restuarant/bar you like down there something is definitely wrong. and for a great prime rib dinner go to mistys if you have time.