Bo Pelini

np_husker

Someone posted the following question to Tom Shatel and you can read Shatel's reply. Amazing how people like to build up a person and then tear him down. I do like Shatel's reply.

As a long-time sports observer, and recent donor to the NU football program, I have a need to state my embarrassment as a Husker supporter. The magnitude of the situation (head coach of a high profile, major college program) is so far over Bo Pelini's head, that it's apparent something needs to be done. There are a multitude of signs that indicate that the choice to hire Bo Pelini was the wrong one. One that could possibly set the program back even further than Bill Callahan's coaching ineptitude.

How many embarrassing photos or film clips of Pelini losing control of his emotions do we need to see before we understand that he does not possess the attributes to be the face of the football program? He clearly spends too much of his time berating players, coaches, and officials during the game. After the game, he turns to bullying the media. It is understandable for a head coach to be upset at times during the heat of battle, but to not be able to compose yourself and return to coaching your team is inexcusable. It's no wonder that this is one of the more undisciplined football teams in the country, as evidenced by the number of unsportsmanlike and personal foul penalties. Pelini doesn't get it. The players take their lead from his actions. After his embarrassing actions on the sideline, Pelini carries it over to the press conferences. He cannot answer a question in full articulate sentences. It's embarrassing when your head coach, who is essentially your C.E.O., makes the comment, "if you don't like it, tough." Pelini has used that phrase multiple times this season, when asked a question that he felt questioned his authority. Disgraceful is how I would describe Pelini's mannerisms and actions.

Let's also look at how this head coach represents the university on the sideline in his choice of apparel. A Gray sweatshirt. We're not talking about going to work in a corporate boardroom, but this is still the image people across the country carry away with them when watching a Nebraska game. This image is how they judge the Nebraska football program. A group of out of control "yahoos". They see a head coach who is clearly not in control of his emotional state, wearing a sweatshirt, with a ball cap tilted back on his head. How many other major college head coaches portray such an unprofessional image?

Every season, there are a number of former coordinators that become head coaches. There are an equal number of head coaches that were former coordinators that are fired because they were not equipped with the skill sets to take on the additional responsibilities of being the head coach and be the representative face of the university. Maybe I'm quick to judge, but I feel that is the situation that we find ourselves in at Nebraska. Bo Pelini may be a defensive juggernaut as a coordinator (jury is still out on whether the talent at LSU carried him), but as a Head Coach, he is not what the University of Nebraska needs to propel us back to national prominence. He's become that embarrassing uncle at the wedding that everyone watches to see what he will do next. Do you think that the TV cameras are always on Pelini because of his charm? We all know the answer to that.

Shatel: I've had to smile at some of the e-mails and questions I've received this past week. Like this one. Bo chews gum. Bo wears a sweat shirt. Bo yells too much. Etc, etc.

All I can say is, you wanted passion and you got it. What's the big deal? Pelini was treated like a genius around here in 2003, when he was ranting and raving — and hugging players afterward (The cameras rarely show those moments). He was a coach who could "get people to play for him.'' Now he's an embarrassment? Please. I'm glad he's vocal. This program needed a kick in the pants. The only change I would have him make is to dial it down a notch. Don't spend all game yelling at officials. Be aware of your image. But, again, I don't want Bo to be stoic. He has to be Bo or he's not the coach we signed up for. Bottom line: if Nebraska wins, nobody complains about how Pelini acts. Just win, Bo.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1921

The guy who wrote that in is a completely clueless. I like how he makes it very clear that he is a donor and a long time fan. Oh no, Bo is wearing a sweat shirt....what an unprofessional a-hole. What about Bellichek at NE??? He wears sweatshirts that look like they have been altered by a 2 year old and he has been pretty successful with that team. What about Singletary who is dropping his pants to get his players motivated or that goon from Okie State telling everyone he is a man or any other coach who gets emotional. There are not too many coaches who coach as calm and stoic as TO did. That was his style. BC looked like he didn't even know there was a football game going on. I guess you can't win with some people!

Maybe we should let the coaches coach, the players play, and the fans can cheer....

I was talking to my dad about this very same thing. He came over to my house to watch the Kansas game because we missed it due to my brother getting married. My father was telling me that husker fans were complaining about the way Bo dresses (Gray Sweater), Bo chewing his gum, and the way Bo yells at the Referee's. Out of those three Husker fans should only worry about Bo getting rid of one and that's the yelling at the Officials.

I'm embarrassed to read this type of questions about the way Bo chews his gum and how he dresses on the field. There are a lot of Husker fans out there that just need to shut up and watch the game too. It makes me feel embarrassed reading these type of stories.

When we had Bill Callahan here a lot of Husker fans were pissed because he had a lack of emotion and they wanted him gone. We got that wish and now we have an emotional coach who's so far put a good product on the field and now some Husker fans are b*tching about this. I don't get it.

For those who don't like the way Bo chews his gum or what attire he wears on the field you can just shut the TV off and don't root for my Huskers ever again. I'm happy on what BO has brought us this year and I've seen a huge improvement with our Football team.

That "donor" kind of seems like a d-bag. More in-line with the Nancy-ness of this new generation that wants to hold hands and sing kumbaya, all the while passing out participation ribbons instead of recognizing a winner in a contest.

:yeah

It does seem to me that we have become a bunch of namby pamby Oprah watching nancy boys. I was reading an article the other day talking about AD. The guy researched the symptoms and concluded that 80% or so of young boys have those symptoms. Apparently, we as society can't accept people for having energy and enthusiasm. So, we nausiate them with drugs. I'd hate to guess the percentage of parents that won't spank their children. Society has definitely changed. However, I'm not sure if we've changed for the better.

California just passed a law that banned placing animals in crates. What they don't realize is that hogs or particularly sows are placed in crates so that they do not eat their young. People are up in arms now that there's speculation the president of the Sierra Club will be appointed as chairman of the EPA.

I want a coach who shows emotion. I don't want a coach that hides behind a clipboard. I would suggest to Bo though that he needs to lay off the ref's. They aren't going to change their call unless they get beeped from the booth upstairs. Riding the officials the entire game will do more harm than good. However, I have no problem with him getting in a players face when they continue to make mistakes.

Shatel hit it on the head. If Nebraska was 9-1 instead of 6-4 nobody would care what he is wearing and what he does on the sideline. If the Huskers were 9-1, he could be doing cartwheels in a banana hammock and everyone would think he is a character, not a lunatic. I think it is a bit early to hammer Pelini on some of these things. His dress is fine, it is not embarassing, IMO. If he can reign in some of the emotion and not berate the officials, that is fine by me. He is sometimes abrasive to the media. You know what, I would be too. Sometimes they ask dumb questions over and over again and I probably would get irritable after a while myself. The person that wrote that to Shatel needs to lighten up. I didn't want Pelini here to begin with, but I think he is doing a pretty good job with all things considered. If he continues to grow into this role, he will be fine and letters like that will become fewer and farther between.

To person who wrote this letter: SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE! Nebraska football is about a blue collar, hardworking lifestyle. Not some corporate popularity contest. He's a football coach not a presidential candidate. You were probably one of the many "fans" that said we needed a coach with fire and passion that could get these kids to play hard, well guess what! These kids are playing hard, these kids are playing with passion. Everyone wants to point out the number of personal foul penalties this season, if I remember correctly in the glory days of the mid '90s it seemed like our Blackshirt defense got about 1 a game. They said it was their way of sending a message to the other team, by the way defenses are supposed to be nasty and mean. Defense isn't about making a gentle tackle, helping the guy up, and giving him a hug. If you don't like the way Bo does things then take your money to Ohio State and support the only straight man left in the midwest that wears a sweater vest. I will be right here, supporting Bo and watching him grow into top notch coach.

I fixed it for this "Donor and long time fan"

"As a long-time sports observer, and recent donor to the NU football program, I have a need to state my embarrassment as a Husker supporter. The magnitude of the situation (head coach of a high profile, major college program) is so far over Bo Pelini's head, that it's apparent something needs to be done. There are a multitude of signs that indicate that the choice to hire Bo Pelini was the wrong one. One that could possibly set the program back even further than Bill Callahan's coaching ineptitude.

How many embarrassing photos or film clips of Pelini losing control of his emotions do we need to see before we understand that he does not possess the attributes to be the face of the football program? He clearly spends too much of his time berating players, coaches, and officials during the game. After the game, he turns to bullying the media. It is understandable for a head coach to be upset at times during the heat of battle, but to not be able to compose yourself and return to coaching your team is inexcusable. It's no wonder that this is one of the more undisciplined football teams in the country, as evidenced by the number of unsportsmanlike and personal foul penalties. Pelini doesn't get it. The players take their lead from his actions. After his embarrassing actions on the sideline, Pelini carries it over to the press conferences. He cannot answer a question in full articulate sentences. It's embarrassing when your head coach, who is essentially your C.E.O., makes the comment, "if you don't like it, tough." Pelini has used that phrase multiple times this season, when asked a question that he felt questioned his authority. Disgraceful is how I would describe Pelini's mannerisms and actions.

Let's also look at how this head coach represents the university on the sideline in his choice of apparel. A Gray sweatshirt. We're not talking about going to work in a corporate boardroom, but this is still the image people across the country carry away with them when watching a Nebraska game. This image is how they judge the Nebraska football program. A group of out of control "yahoos". They see a head coach who is clearly not in control of his emotional state, wearing a sweatshirt, with a ball cap tilted back on his head. How many other major college head coaches portray such an unprofessional image?

Every season, there are a number of former coordinators that become head coaches. There are an equal number of head coaches that were former coordinators that are fired because they were not equipped with the skill sets to take on the additional responsibilities of being the head coach and be the representative face of the university. Maybe I'm quick to judge, but I feel that is the situation that we find ourselves in at Nebraska. Bo Pelini may be a defensive juggernaut as a coordinator (jury is still out on whether the talent at LSU carried him), but as a Head Coach, he is not what the University of Nebraska needs to propel us back to national prominence. He's become that embarrassing uncle at the wedding that everyone watches to see what he will do next. Do you think that the TV cameras are always on Pelini because of his charm? We all know the answer to that.

PS. What can you do about all of those stupid fans that STAND at the game and cheer. It is hard for us real fans to see and carry on a conversation with our neighbors?"

I fixed it for this "Donor and long time fan"

"As a long-time sports observer, and recent donor to the NU football program, I have a need to state my embarrassment as a Husker supporter. The magnitude of the situation (head coach of a high profile, major college program) is so far over Bo Pelini's head, that it's apparent something needs to be done. There are a multitude of signs that indicate that the choice to hire Bo Pelini was the wrong one. One that could possibly set the program back even further than Bill Callahan's coaching ineptitude.

PS. What can you do about all of those stupid fans that STAND at the game and cheer. It is hard for us real fans to see and carry on a conversation with our neighbors?"

Well done.