OFFSEASON

95huskers

So i see alot of talk about the off season. Good to have in mind since nebraska has the bowl game left and that is it. I am a bit disturbed though. All this talk about "system"????? Especially at the Qb position. Yes joe ganz knew the "system" and that made him ok as qb. BUT what about athletes? What about putting the best athlete at a postion? lee and witt may very well be the starter next year. great let them battle it out. but what about green.. before we write him off as redshirting, give him a chance to at least make a run for his money. he is having an outstanding high school career and at this time i believe in the semi finals for state. no one told Terrelle Pryor that he had to sit out a year because he didnt know the "system" do you think because terrelle pryor didnt know the system that he isnt a good qb? that kid is a stud! and sure he is going through some growing pains but his osu buckeyes are 10th in the nation. sure they play in a crap conference but thats not the point right now. For as long as i can remember teams like ohio state, usc, alabama, florida, texas, ou so forth and so on.. PUT THEIR BEST ATHLETES ON THE FIELD. "MAKE PLAYS!'' sure there will be some mishaps along the way. but dont you get better and learn more efficiently when you fall flat on your face? just some food for thought.

I think one thing you will notice in the coming years is more of the "best athlete at the position" scheme.

A staple of the Nebraska program (pre-callahan) was the walk on program and the ability for walk ons to beat out scholarship players for playing time. Callahan wasn't a huge fan of this, but the 2008 season has shown a lot of promise as far as walk ons go especially in the amount of walk-ons we have this year.

It's not all about "knowing the scheme" or "knowing the offense" as you were saying which I completely agree on. It's more about who you have at that position. Look forward to this in the coming seasons.

So i see alot of talk about the off season. Good to have in mind since nebraska has the bowl game left and that is it. I am a bit disturbed though. All this talk about "system"????? Especially at the Qb position. Yes joe ganz knew the "system" and that made him ok as qb. BUT what about athletes? What about putting the best athlete at a postion? lee and witt may very well be the starter next year. great let them battle it out. but what about green.. before we write him off as redshirting, give him a chance to at least make a run for his money. he is having an outstanding high school career and at this time i believe in the semi finals for state. no one told Terrelle Pryor that he had to sit out a year because he didnt know the "system" do you think because terrelle pryor didnt know the system that he isnt a good qb? that kid is a stud! and sure he is going through some growing pains but his osu buckeyes are 10th in the nation. sure they play in a crap conference but thats not the point right now. For as long as i can remember teams like ohio state, usc, alabama, florida, texas, ou so forth and so on.. PUT THEIR BEST ATHLETES ON THE FIELD. "MAKE PLAYS!'' sure there will be some mishaps along the way. but dont you get better and learn more efficiently when you fall flat on your face? just some food for thought.

To make an argument against your position one could say the word "Thenarse". He is certainly the best athlete at the position. But, at times throughout the season he looked down right awful….because he "did not know the system"...or at least did not play as if he did. Once his knowledge of the ‘system’ caught up and he became more comfortable you could see the level of his play pick up dramatically. I feel a player must know the system first…athleticism can only take you so far.

Joe Ganz isn't the best athlete on the field.

I don't think you wanted Zac Lee to start this year.

:yeah

honestly, it takes a helluva lot more than just athletic talent, especially at the quarterback position. there are intagibles that some kids have and other just, well, don't. Nothing against them, but i don't think Zac Taylor was the best athlete in the world, but he was a great QB for us. It's not simply about athletes at the QB position. Sure, maybe at RB or WR i could buy that, maybe. But you still have to know what you're doing, and be a leader.

Since when do the teams you speak of put their best on the field? Applewhite was hands down a better QB than Sims ever though of being at Texass. Who did Mack play? Well, it sure as hell wasn't his best.

Joe Ganz isn't the best athlete on the field.

I don't think you wanted Zac Lee to start this year.

according to a former coach... not during the callahan era. lee is the best athlete at the position this year. im not saying he would have done better or worse than ganz but we may get to see the proof in the puddin this year.. aslo i would have like to see more of lee or witt. now again we have a new season coming and 0 experience at qb... some food for thought

Since when do the teams you speak of put their best on the field? Applewhite was hands down a better QB than Sims ever though of being at Texass. Who did Mack play? Well, it sure as hell wasn't his best.

I was just in a conversation about that the other day. It was absolutely rediculous that Sims started at all that year or even played really when Applewhite was clearly the better choice. I often wonder if Money may have been involved. <_< Oh well I am just hoping that never happens here!

I was just in a conversation about that the other day. It was absolutely rediculous that Sims started at all that year or even played really when Applewhite was clearly the better choice. I often wonder if Money may have been involved. <_< Oh well I am just hoping that never happens here!

No sons of Hall of Fame Qb's here...

To make an argument against your position one could say the word "Thenarse". He is certainly the best athlete at the position. But, at times throughout the season he looked down right awful….because he "did not know the system"...or at least did not play as if he did. Once his knowledge of the ‘system’ caught up and he became more comfortable you could see the level of his play pick up dramatically. I feel a player must know the system first…athleticism can only take you so far.

.........and that is the truth!

i'm all for putting the best players on the field but at the qb position it takes much more than just athletism...i think the problem for most 1st qb is the decision making and the adjustment to the speed of the college game...if your frestmen qb is truly heads and shoulders above everyone else then by all means play the kid