QB Robert Mavre

Well, having a shorter eligibility means tying up the scholarship for a shorter amount of time.

We have one junior and two freshman (one who will likely redshirt). The situation looks -at least to me, from a layman's perspective - like one where we would benefit from another upperclassman quarterback for next year.

It's true that Marve may have problems, but I don't know much about his situation. Even Zac Taylor transferred, from Wake, then into Nebraska from the JUCO ranks. About Marve, you say his parents were there to make sure he got the respect he deserved?

Well, having a shorter eligibility means tying up the scholarship for a shorter amount of time.

We have one junior and two freshman (one who will likely redshirt). The situation looks -at least to me, from a layman's perspective - like one where we would benefit from another upperclassman quarterback for next year.

It's true that Marve may have problems, but I don't know much about his situation. Even Zac Taylor transferred, from Wake, then into Nebraska from the JUCO ranks. About Marve, you say his parents were there to make sure he got the respect he deserved?

That comment was aimed more towards the Witt situation/transfer. But I did see where his parents were mentioned. If he wants to come to Nebraska, let him pay his own way until he shows he will be able to contribute and keep his nose clean. He created his own situation that he now finds himself in with his conduct. Where is his loyalty? Sounds more like carpet bagging to me - going where he thinks he will get some kind of guarantee to play - spoken or unspoken.

Are we paying for three years so we get two seasons out of him - if he plays at all? He has to sit out a season before he is eligible. What a bargain! Are the coaches saying they didn't do the job when it came to recruiting Spano and Green? This would be a Callahan move in my book.

How would Nebraska benefit here? Let's assume this kid does want to come here and Bo greenlights it...

* There's no pressing need for a QB, especially one with such limited eligibility...

* He'd have to sit out a year anyway as a transfer...

* He'd be learning an entirely new offensive system which would probably take him at least 2 years to get to where he's comfortable...

* By then he'd be a senior and have one year, ala Sam Kellar to show what he could do...

In my opinion, bringing this kid aboard would be a complete waste of three scholarship years.

Bo and Wats, if they are looking at getting another QB, would be much better off signing, and developing, a high school prospect and by-passing this potential trainwreck.

If it was up to me I’d take him in a heartbeat if he wanted to attend UNL. I’m sure Watson could find something to do with him.

I'd be amazed if he doesn't end up at USF. If he wants to stay close to home, that's what makes the most sense.

I agree I am thinking South Florida is the top team as of now

If it was up to me I’d take him in a heartbeat if he wanted to attend UNL. I’m sure Watson could find something to do with him.

I'd be amazed if he doesn't end up at USF. If he wants to stay close to home, that's what makes the most sense.

I agree I am thinking South Florida is the top team as of now

That's prolly where he ends up. But he sure would look good in scarlet and cream throwing 40 yd spirals.

My avatar is of Jessica Marais and she plays Mistress Denna in "The Legend of the Seeker" (See the pic in my sig line.)

Glad that was one of the few episodes I saw. She's smoking.

Anyway

:backtotopic

I'm a little surprised Nebraska is interested, but as has been pointed out with Witt leaving, Nebraska needs another QB. Anyway, I'm sure Bo has told him he'd come in being among the last in line and would have to work his way onto the depth chart.

One benefit is he'd be the scout team QB come fall which might otherwise have been manned by a walk on. (I'm guessing Spano will be the main backup to Lee with Green getting actual game snaps in a special package of run-option plays.)

One thing I do know for sure is if Lee gets seriously hurt next season, we are going to be in a world of hurt, since we will be down to one serious contender for QB with Spano, unless we are willing to burn Greens redshirt, which I would be against. I really believe that Green is the one that will bring some real success to this team...when he is ready, which I don't believe that will be next season.

I still don't like the idea of bringing someone else's problem in to the mix, it could turn out to be a poison and really screw up the chemistry on this team. I am also one that believes that if one makes a bed, he should lie in it - and Mavre should just deal with the consequences of his actions where he is and try being a "team player" rather than trying to escape them to the highest bidder, and possibly be a trouble maker on that team, too. He has no loyalty to his team now, what makes you think he would here?

This is all I am going to say about this issue...and even if he is allowed to come into the program, and is successful, I will still view him as a carpet bagger, since he did not originally make his commitment to Nebraska, and would only be coming because he believed he could get a better deal here than what he currently has. I would also still tag him with that title even if he came and threw 50 completions a game and we went undefeated with a NC with him starting. I don't like transfers, period. And, yes, I know Keller was a carpet bagger also, as was Lucky for that matter. Keller starting for a season IMHO didn't help the program long term. Ganz or Lee could have gained some experience, and who knows, they may have done even more than Keller in their careers at Nebraska. Lucky turned out to be a major disappointment, but not really through fault of his own. I think Callahan, and the way he used Lucky was totally criminal, because it robbed him of a decent college career and quite possibly a professional career.

dedhoarse

NU reportedly on ex-Miami QB's list

By LINCOLN JOURNAL STAR

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 - 01:44:41 am CDT

Nebraska is among six schools former Miami quarterback Robert Marve is considering after a drama-filled fall with the Hurricanes, according to multiple reports.

Looking to transfer, teams on Marve’s short list are Michigan, Nebraska, Purdue, Texas Tech, South Florida and UCLA.

“That is the final six right now, but there is time for others to still jump in the game,” Marve’s prep coach Robert Weiner told The Tampa (Fla.) Tribune.

Wherever he transfers, Marve would have to sit out the 2009 season and then would have two years of eligibility.

As a redshirt freshman last year, Marve started 11 games. He threw for 1,293 yards, nine touchdowns and 13 interceptions while splitting time with true freshman Jacoby Harris.

There was as much drama off the field as on it. Marve was suspended for the season opener and the Hurricanes’ bowl game for violating team policies.

There were also accusations by the university that the Marve family, or others on behalf of the family, had tried to contact Florida, Tennessee and LSU during the 2008 season about the QB transferring.

The Marves denied it. And in early January, the quarterback’s father, former NFL linebacker Eugene Marve, told the Miami Herald that he was battling prostate cancer and therefore wanted his son to transfer to a school closer to the family in Tampa.

It was eventually decided by Miami officials that Marve could transfer, as long as it wasn’t to Florida, Tennessee, LSU or another ACC school.

According to SI.com, Marve spent Saturday on USF’s campus — located in Tampa — helping coach players from his alma mater (Tampa Plant High) in a seven-on-seven tournament.

The 6-foot-1, 210-pound Marve was one of the more hyped quarterbacks in the 2007 recruiting class, ranked eighth nationally by Rivals.com among pro-style quarterbacks.

This is where I read about his family being involved...I knew I saw it somewhere today. <_< <_<