Texas Seceding?

I'm wondering why South Carolina doesn't have it in the works either. I thought their governor, Mark Sanford, was Mr. States rights? Wasn't he against the stimulus packages because of the federal stipulations attached? I think they eventually accepted, but I thought he was a pretty staunchly against them.

Very true SOCAL, he only accepted because he was pretty much forced into accepting.

How did that happen?

Obama said he couldn't turn it down was the last I heard.

More like his state senate revolted against the idea, and overruled him.

Also Im surprised NE isnt on that list, you would think that a republican state like NE would be all over this.

:boxosoap

Is that a bad thing? This whole talk is idiotic, and a waste of a good argument. Are there serious flaws in the tax system? Yes, and there has been from the begining.. Are there even worse problems with bureacratic spending? Sure. But to when you start throwing out words like secesion and revolt like some wannabe modern minuteman you just look like a fool. And IMO it's most insulting to those really hurting right now. The unemployed. Those who can't pay taxes because they have no job!

Know your enemy! If you don't like something, march on Washington. March on the senate steps. Don't march on my corner. I don't write the laws, Try holding your elected leaders, and the corporate goliaths that really run the show, accountable for their crimes. Don't let your political and/or religious beliefs cloud your minds on who really brought us to this point. And believe me. The big "O" scapegoat so many will surely cling to, just won't fu@#!*g cut it right now!

:boxosoap

I'm wondering why South Carolina doesn't have it in the works either. I thought their governor, Mark Sanford, was Mr. States rights? Wasn't he against the stimulus packages because of the federal stipulations attached? I think they eventually accepted, but I thought he was a pretty staunchly against them.

Very true SOCAL, he only accepted because he was pretty much forced into accepting.

How did that happen?

More like his state senate revolted against the idea, and overruled him.

This is why 10th Amendment resolutions were passed by various states:

SEC. 1607. of HR1 2009 Community Reinvestment Act --- {b.} ACCEPTANCE BY STATE LEGISLATURE -- If funds provided to any State in any division of this Act are not accepted for use by the Governor, then acceptance by the State legislature, by means of the adoption of a concurrent resolution, shall be sufficient to provide funding to such State.

Can you point me to any State in the Union that allows for passage of any bill or resolution in the Legislative branch at the State level that allows for the federal government to take the place of the State’s Executive Branch?

According to the 10th Amendment, States are sovereign legal entities that collectively comprise a Union out of which the federal government is created, current bills and resolutions reasserting such notwithstanding. As such, the federal government has no power or authority to be able to legally bypass the Governor on any issue. That’s treading on a State’s authority, power and right to determine it’s own policies per the Constitution.

Can you point me to any State in the Union that allows for passage of any bill or resolution in the Legislative branch at the State level that allows for the federal government to take the place of the State’s Executive Branch?

How about any of the states who recognize the Fed. goverment's classification of marijuana as a level 1 narcotic? And allows their citizens to be arrested for possession of a product that is legal in the eyes of that state's legislature.

Besides if goveners where allowed sovereignty in their own states, then alabama would still have segregated schools. Any one willing to support that view publicly?

How did that happen?

i know members of congress were threatened with martial law if they didn't pass the stimulus, i wonder if thats the reason he couldn't turn it down....

How did that happen?

i know members of congress were threatened with martial law if they didn't pass the stimulus, i wonder if thats the reason he couldn't turn it down....

Where are you people hearing this bullsh#t? conspiracyidiots.com?

How did that happen?

Where are you people hearing this bullsh#t? conspiracyidiots.com?

straight from congress, where do you get your news?

HaG9d_4zij8

Jon Stewart of course! DUH!!! :dumdum Touche on having a nice clip handy. But that's not enough to convince me that there was ever a real threat of marshal law. Sounds like another politician countering panic with paranoia to me.

Jon Stewart of course! DUH!!! :dumdum Touche on having a nice clip handy. But that's not enough to convince me that there was ever a real threat of marshal law. Sounds like another politician countering panic with paranoia to me.

your absolutely right.... because they passed the bill

EDIT: i mean, one could be threatened with being shot, but those are just words. the reality of the threat doesn't shine through until theres a gun in the hand of the one giving the threat.... that doesnt mean the initial threat wasn't real, it just means it wasnt seen yet.

btw, jon stewart = smart

How about any of the states who recognize the Fed. goverment's classification of marijuana as a level 1 narcotic? And allows their citizens to be arrested for possession of a product that is legal in the eyes of that state's legislature.

Besides if goveners where allowed sovereignty in their own states, then alabama would still have segregated schools. Any one willing to support that view publicly?

Segregation was outlawed by the 14th Amendment under the (Equal Protection Clause) so your argument here has no merit.

The courts have ruled that the federal government can regulate marijuana under Article 1 sec. 8 of the US Constitution (Commerce Clause). The feds control of DEA licensing of doctors makes this a sticky wicket also, because they can use this as leverage against doctors that prescribe MM. I think the Com. Clause is too broad, but good luck on getting Congress or passing a Constitutional amendment to change this.

I have no problem with medical marijuana personally. I do though find it hypocritical that the same lawmakers who champion medical marijuana are trying to legislate tobacco out of existence by making it too expensive for people to buy under the guise of public health. They both involve smoking the product, and as far as I know lung cancer doesn't discriminate. If the government could figure out how to control who grows marijuana and put it under FDA purview with the ultimate goal of leveraging heavy taxes on it, you can bet it would be legal as cigarettes.

Now the ultimate problem here is getting the government out, but by doing this, those same people have to realize that they have to accept responsibility for their actions without encroaching upon someone else to have to take care of them when they f*ck up. Problem is everybody wants all the rights without the responsibilities.

As for Jon Stewart being smart, well I'll leave that to interpretation.

I wonder why we (SC) hasn't yet? Back in the day (1861) we were on top of this kind of stuff.

actually SC had threaten secession from the 1830's with John Calhoun leading the way.

Also Im surprised NE isnt on that list, you would think that a republican state like NE would be all over this.

Ahhh...John C. Calhoun...

His home is located in the dead center of Clemson's campus...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Hill_(Clemson)

fun times, my best friend's great great blah blah blah grandfather signed the delceration of indepance for south carolina, while my great uncle did for virginny