third party

So again, the question for all of us (HuskerExpat aside) who like to bitch about the parties, did any of us vote for a third party? I already confessed that I whimped out.

i voted for Ron Paul.... who ran as a republican, but wasn't the republican nominee... its worth noting that he ran for president in the 88 election as the Libertarian Party's nominee.

I voted for that wackjob - well before I figured out he was a wackjob - Ross Perot in 1992 because the Republicans were running George Bush again.

Not much of a partier..

Although I have been known to take a 500mL Erlenmeyer flask to keggers.

I resent being pressured to declare whether I'm Liberal or Conservative..It depends entirely on the subject..and almost always somewhere in the middle.

I could never figure out how so many can only see one side of the issues.

Is a third (or fifth?) party any better?

So don't declare, that's great. I think of myself as a conservative but if I exposed all my views you would probably see we Libs and Cons have a heck of alot in common.

Would a 3rd (or 4tn or 5th) party be better? I don't know, but more adding more choices and greater competition has traditionally worked to improve quality in most endeavors. Then again, I'm kind of a free market guy.

I'm not dissatisfied with Obama at all. I'm one of the 69% of Americans who approve of him so far.

Just curious, you're satisfied with Obama? Really? Do you have any ability to think critically?

Let's see, during "The Chosen One's" campaign he said:

* He'll end the Iraq war.

* He'll end NAFTA and other trade agreements which are detrimental to American workers.

* He won't hire lobbyists and that his administration wouldn't be for sale.

* He said he would allow five days of public comment before signing bills into law.

And these are merely the instances I can think of right off the top of my head.

For a much more complete rundown of "the chosen one's" lies, look here:

PolitiFact

PolitiFact is a project of the St. Petersburg Times to help you find the truth in American politics. Reporters and editors from the Times fact-check statements by members of Congress, the White House, lobbyists and interest groups and rate them on our Truth-O-Meter. We’re also tracking more than 500 of Barack Obama’s campaign promises and are rating their progress on our new Obameter.

But you're "satisfied" with Obama.

:laughpound

Not to be overly cryptic Jen, But I'm a little more concerned that he will fulfill some of his campaign promises.

Also, you kids stop fighting or I will turn this thread around, do you want that? I'll do it!!!

I'm not dissatisfied with Obama at all. I'm one of the 69% of Americans who approve of him so far.

Just curious, you're satisfied with Obama? Really? Do you have any ability to think critically?

Let's see, during "The Chosen One's" campaign he said:

* He'll end the Iraq war.

* He'll end NAFTA and other trade agreements which are detrimental to American workers.

* He won't hire lobbyists and that his administration wouldn't be for sale.

* He said he would allow five days of public comment before signing bills into law.

And these are merely the instances I can think of right off the top of my head.

For a much more complete rundown of "the chosen one's" lies, look here:

PolitiFact

PolitiFact is a project of the St. Petersburg Times to help you find the truth in American politics. Reporters and editors from the Times fact-check statements by members of Congress, the White House, lobbyists and interest groups and rate them on our Truth-O-Meter. We’re also tracking more than 500 of Barack Obama’s campaign promises and are rating their progress on our new Obameter.

But you're "satisfied" with Obama.

:laughpound

He's been in office about 125 days. I didn't really expect that he would be able to fulfill all of his campaign promises, let alone all of them in the first 125 days. Of course, I'm sure your candidate would have, but we'll never know.

My satisfaction with Obama has more to do with my agreeing with what he has done and what he has had to do.

Just knowing that Obama will replace David Souter rather than John McCain is more or less worth my vote. The country, and world, would be a much different place if the Supreme Court were to have another Alito, Roberts, Thomas or Scalia....

(snip)

And really, your insults are not warranted. Just because I may disagree with you does not necessarily mean I am stupid, and vice versa. We'd all be better if we started from that basic premise.

(snip)

And really, your insults are not warranted. Just because I may disagree with you does not necessarily mean I am stupid, and vice versa. We'd all be better if we started from that basic premise.

ohhh, your in Chicago, now i get it.... jk jk :):lol:

From all the bitches, moans and complaints I see on these threads (which I have also participated), why don't we just end the political/governmental/tyrannical/coercive/freedomless/monopolistic games and allow each individual to run his or her life as one pleases.

Complete Liberty

"To be governed is to be watched over, inspected, spied on, directed, legislated, regimented, closed in, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, assessed, evaluated, censored, commended; all by creatures that have neither the right, nor wisdom, nor virtue. . . . To be governed means that at every move, operation, or transaction one is noted, registered, entered into a census, taxed, stamped, priced, assessed, patented, licensed, authorized, recommended, admonished, prevented, reformed, set right, corrected. Government means to be subjected to tribute, trained, ransomed, exploited, monopolized, extorted, pressured, mystified, robbed; all in the name of the public utility and the general good. Then, at the first sign of resistance or word of complaint, one is repressed, fined, despised, vexed, pursued, hustled, beaten up, garroted, imprisoned, shot, machine-gunned, judged, sentenced, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed, and to cap it all, ridiculed, mocked, outraged, and dishonored. That is government, that is its justice and its morality! . . . O human personality! How can it be that you have cowered in such subjection for sixty centuries? - Proudhon

As usual, I voted Libertarian.

As usual, it made about the same amount of difference as if I had stayed home and ranted to my kids' friends how public sidewalks and city parks were products of statism and tyranny, as the kids tried to dodge the drops of spittle flying out of my mouth until they decided to go home and do the spelling assignment given to them by their oppressor, a teacher on the dole from the public school system brainwashing them to be mindless conformists.

From all the bitches, moans and complaints I see on these threads (which I have also participated), why don't we just end the political/governmental/tyrannical/coercive/freedomless/monopolistic games and allow each individual to run his or her life as one pleases.

Complete Liberty

"To be governed is to be watched over, inspected, spied on, directed, legislated, regimented, closed in, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, assessed, evaluated, censored, commended; all by creatures that have neither the right, nor wisdom, nor virtue. . . . To be governed means that at every move, operation, or transaction one is noted, registered, entered into a census, taxed, stamped, priced, assessed, patented, licensed, authorized, recommended, admonished, prevented, reformed, set right, corrected. Government means to be subjected to tribute, trained, ransomed, exploited, monopolized, extorted, pressured, mystified, robbed; all in the name of the public utility and the general good. Then, at the first sign of resistance or word of complaint, one is repressed, fined, despised, vexed, pursued, hustled, beaten up, garroted, imprisoned, shot, machine-gunned, judged, sentenced, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed, and to cap it all, ridiculed, mocked, outraged, and dishonored. That is government, that is its justice and its morality! . . . O human personality! How can it be that you have cowered in such subjection for sixty centuries? - Proudhon

Sounds like anarchy to me. And impossible. At some point, when crime would start, a group of people would band together to protect their possessions or lives in general, and a fledgling government would form.

As usual, I voted Libertarian.

As usual, it made about the same amount of difference as if I had stayed home and ranted to my kids' friends how public sidewalks and city parks were products of statism and tyranny, as the kids tried to dodge the drops of spittle flying out of my mouth until they decided to go home and do the spelling assignment given to them by their oppressor, a teacher on the dole from the public school system brainwashing them to be mindless conformists.

LOL!!! Keep fighting the good fight brother.

I have to agree with strigori though, anarchy just doesn't work. Part of the problem with 3rd parties is this foam at the mouth ranting that all govenment is evil. Wheras I would like to believe that it shouldn't be neccesary (government that is), the very nature of man plecludes the idea of ongoing peaceful coexistence without communal boundaries. My thinking, much like those who wrote the Consitution is that power should be both decentralized and limited.

Decentralization of power leads to greater accountability and fosters competition of ideas. A large part of the problem with today's government is it's inaccessibility to those it governs. It's a lot easier for me as a citizen to contact my local city councilman or state senator, I can actually walk right up to their houses and knock on the door if I choose, than it is to contact my US Senator or Congressman. Yeah, I may get a form letter response or even an actual staffer call back, but these guys will not be answering to me. If we could return more power to the states and municipalities, perhaps we could regain control over our government.