A little venting on the City of Omaha

Quick little something that I have to get off my chest.

So here we are debating on whether to raise our sales tax another .5% to make it 7.5%

Charge a fee for trash removal $120 a year

Or raise the already outragous property tax another $.06 per $100.

(or knowing this city, probably two or more will be added)

We are $500 million in debt, and are on path to be bankrupt in 20 years...

(SIGH) Really Omaha?! Seriously this crap has too stop. QUIT over spending. QUIT acting like your KC or Minneapolis. YOUR NOT!!! Omaha is 1/3 the size of Minni and not quite 1/2 the size of KC. YOU CAN NOT RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS. Just take pride in what you are. This is getting silly. it really is. I already have an issues with being taxed with out represetation. I pay Omaha city fees and taxes although I live out of the city limits and have no represtative that sits on city council. I already pay property tax that is equal to homes 2 1/2 times or more the cost of mine in equal markets.

I am absulutly fully tired of hearing that destination cities charge higher taxes. This is true. You are not a destination city Omaha. Quite talking about yourself in the same sentence as New York, Boston & Philly. NOBODY from outside of this area says. "hey, lets vacation in Omaha this summer!" "AWESOME DAD!!" say the kids.

I really have about reached my peak with this place. If i was not tied down with my home for atleast a few more years I would bail at the first chance.

I like this city, but having lived other places, some of the leadership in Omaha need to get out of their little bubble and figure some stuff out quick.

:rant

Your stuff about Omaha thinking it is a destination city is funny. That always made me laugh too. Just because it is the biggest city in Nebraska doesn't mean it is "metropolitan" or a "city" like some Omahan's think.

On the other hand, it is still a bit off the pace in terms of taxes of the bigger American cities. The sales tax here in Chicago is 10%!!!

I couldn't agree with you more. This issue has always bothered me but it's now to the point where I feel embarrassed for people who think like that. I love Omaha but I think it has always had somewhat of an inferiority complex. What, because we have a building taller than 600ft and an arena that sits 17,000+ you think we've arrived?!? Careful.....Omaha is not much more than a Des Moines with a college world series.

I couldn't agree with you more. This issue has always bothered me but it's now to the point where I feel embarrassed for people who think like that. I love Omaha but I think it has always had somewhat of an inferiority complex. What, because we have a building taller than 600ft and an arena that sits 17,000+ you think we've arrived?!? Careful.....Omaha is not much more than a Des Moines with a college world series.

Is Omaha even a Des Moines? I mean, doesn't Des Moines have Adventureland??? :thumbs