Couple Ordered to Stop Holding Bible Study at Home Without Permit

Pastor David Jones and his wife Mary have been told that they cannot invite friends to their San Diego, Calif. home for a Bible study — unless they are willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars to San Diego County.

"On Good Friday we had an employee from San Diego County come to our house, and inform us that the Bible study that we were having was a religious assembly, and in violation of the code in the county." David Jones told FOX News.

"We told them this is not really a religious assembly — this is just a Bible study with friends. We have a meal, we pray, that was all," Jones said.

A few days later, the couple received a written warning that cited "unlawful use of land," ordering them to either "stop religious assembly or apply for a major use permit," the couple's attorney Dean Broyles told San Diego news station 10News.

But the major use permit could cost the Jones' thousands of dollars just to have a few friends over.

For David and Mary Jones, it's about more than a question of money.

"The government may not prohibit the free exercise of religion," Broyles told FOX News. "I believe that our Founding Fathers would roll over in their grave if they saw that here in the year 2009, a pastor and his wife are being told that they cannot hold a simple Bible study in their own home."

"The implications are great because it’s not only us that’s involved," Mary Jones said. "There are thousands and thousands of Bible studies that are held all across the country. What we’re interested in is setting a precedent here — before it goes any further — and that we have it settled for the future."

The couple is planning to dispute the county's order this week.

If San Diego County refuses to allow the pastor and his wife to continue gathering without acquiring a permit, they will consider a lawsuit in federal court.

Source

that's kind of dumb.

but religion shouldn't be tax exempt though. the property taxes on catholic real estate alone could halve the deficit. (i gest of course, but it's a substantial amount still)

The trade off on the tax exempt status was to deter politicking from the pulpit.

I just wondered what right the city had to demand payment for a right specifically protected by the First Amendment in their own home.

that's kind of dumb.

but religion shouldn't be tax exempt though. the property taxes on catholic real estate alone could halve the deficit. (i gest of course, but it's a substantial amount still)

The trade off on the tax exempt status was to deter politicking from the pulpit.

I just wondered what right the city had to demand payment for a right specifically protected by the First Amendment in their own home.

nicely done considering evangelicals vote like crazy, mostly helped by their priests telling them who to vote for.

that's kind of dumb.

nicely done considering evangelicals vote like crazy, mostly helped by their priests telling them who to vote for.

So goes the old adage that you never see a Democrat candidate in a black church except for once every 4 years.

If San Diego County refuses to allow the pastor and his wife to continue gathering without acquiring a permit, they will consider a lawsuit in federal court.

Source

If these guys file a federal lawsuit it will, or at the very least should be, one of the quickest and easiet decisions any court has ever, or probably will ever, render.

San Diego county is clearly wrong. Who the hell do these people think they are telling someone, in this case a couple, what they can or can't do in their own home?

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder what in the F*** is going on in this country?

San Diego County is broke as a joke and trying to find any possible way to bring revenue in. I got a ticket a couple of weeks ago for "turning left onto a 2-way street from the right-turn only lane." There was only one lane, but what does that matter. :sarcasm Anyways, when the officer handed me my ticket he also handed me a fix-it ticket for a bald tire violation. My tires are showing signs of wear, but are clearly not bald. So now I have to fix the tire, which will cost me, or even if I didn't fix-it, I still have to have it inspected by another officer and pay a $25 ticket correction fee. To top it off, the cost of the turning violation ticket itself is $365. Talk about a joke!! They also suggest you go to traffic school, another $125, to keep the points off your record. What a scam!!! All this for harmlessly turning left where someone else obviously thought I shouldn't. It's quite a nice little scheme they have going on here. Vacation anyone????

They've crossed a line here in my opinion. How can they tell someone that they can't have some friends over for a meal and to talk about the bible?! No way in hell will the county of San Diego win this one. Get ready to pony up some dough morons as you're going to be paying it out.

They've crossed a line here in my opinion. How can they tell someone that they can't have some friends over for a meal and to talk about the bible?! No way in hell will the county of San Diego win this one. Get ready to pony up some dough morons as you're going to be paying it out.

Yeah, If this ends up at the 9th Circuit Cout of Appeals, then surely they would protect the right of assembly mentioned in the 1st amendment, right? They would certainly never reinterpete the Constitution to fit their agenda.

• 3 weeks later...