Economic Fallacies

Through the course of much discussion on this board, it has been made abundantly clear that economic fallacies fabricate the majority of poster's arguments for why they are against the free market. The list is endless and would require a novel to produce, but the main staple seems to be that man is not capable of making decisions on his own. Therefore government, in the form of intervention and regulations, are needed to make up for man’s shortcomings. However, what most anti-free market poster's forget, is that government is also made up of men and that man also elects those in government. If man himself is not capable of making decisions to ensure the economy runs smoothly, how can government, which consists of these same men and is also elected by the same men, be expected to make up for the shortcomings of man?

Here’s a wonderful article that makes some great points about our economic shortcomings. The Craziness Will End Take a minute to read and comment back with any bitches, moans, complaints, questions or praises. Education and Accountability are the only way to fix any problem, and without knowledge there is no way to hold anyone accountable.

My favorite line by far: "Alan Greenspan's tenure at the Federal Reserve was to inject money at any time the economy showed an inclination to correct. When bad investments are allowed to resist market correction, they only make a later inevitable correction more severe. It is too bad Greenspan never had any children. I can only imagine how he would react if (say) a high-school daughter came home after a drinking binge and the beginning of a hangover setting in. If his monetary policy is any indication, instead of putting her to bed and letting her body correct, he would slip her a few more shots of gin to get the buzz going again."

My favorite line by far: "Alan Greenspan's tenure at the Federal Reserve was to inject money at any time the economy showed an inclination to correct. When bad investments are allowed to resist market correction, they only make a later inevitable correction more severe. It is too bad Greenspan never had any children. I can only imagine how he would react if (say) a high-school daughter came home after a drinking binge and the beginning of a hangover setting in. If his monetary policy is any indication, instead of putting her to bed and letting her body correct, he would slip her a few more shots of gin to get the buzz going again."

haha, that is a great line! i didn't read the article yet, hopefully i'll have time to do that tonight.

but, i am goin to say in response/agreement to post #1, is that the only thing man can do to help a free market is to make sure the currency is sound and solid.... a free market(like all markets) will have its own highs and lows, but that is simply do to buying trends at any given time. time will balance things out by supply/demand, in the long run.

in the current market though, man is manipulating the currency. the FED, is inflating/deflating the money supply. which, first of all has lead to the devaluization of the dollar by 96%. but it also leads to the debt & the inflated prices of ALL products(namely: labor, food, housing, education, ect....). and all of that leads to ECONOMIC-SLAVERY. if your in debt... you are a slave to that debt, or the banker you owe it to.

what it boils down to, is this: a free market allows the economy to operate on supply/demand. while the current market operates on debt.

but, i am goin to say in response/agreement to post #1, is that the only thing man can do to help a free market is to make sure the currency is sound and solid.... a free market(like all markets) will have its own highs and lows, but that is simply do to buying trends at any given time. time will balance things out by supply/demand, in the long run.

in the current market though, man is manipulating the currency. the FED, is inflating/deflating the money supply. which, first of all has lead to the devaluization of the dollar by 96%. but it also leads to the debt & the inflated prices of ALL products(namely: labor, food, housing, education, ect....). and all of that leads to ECONOMIC-SLAVERY. if your in debt... you are a slave to that debt, or the banker you owe it to.

what it boils down to, is this: a free market allows the economy to operate on supply/demand. while the current market operates on debt.

The only way that man can control the soundness of currency is to ensure a complete free market exists in order for currencies to compete. This guarantees that no currency will ever monopolize the currency market and therefore will not ever decrease or increase in value without the say so of those in the market. That's as sound and solid as it gets.

Also, I'm glad you brought up the debasing of the currency. Most people only see inflation as the rising of prices, instead of the actual decline in the value of their currency. Rising prices are merely a symptom of the real problem. So, instead of trying to price fix or create even more disastrous regulation, which always tends to be the government's solution, people need to instead look at what is causing the inflation. Which in our case is the fiat currency and the policies of the Federal Reserve.

You made some very good points about our current debacle and I like how you sum it with: a free market allows the economy to operate on supply/demand, while the current market operates on debt. A perfect way of explaining today's economic situation in a nutshell.