Extremism and the Internet

Wait a minute . . . if every hierarchy is equivalent to government; then every business is a miniature government.

The difference is that you can voluntarily participate in a business by working there/buying its products.

How is that different from voluntarily participating in a governmental system by choosing to live within it's borders?

Wait a minute . . . if every hierarchy is equivalent to government; then every business is a miniature government.

The difference is that you can voluntarily participate in a business by working there/buying its products.

How is that different from voluntarily participating in a governmental system by choosing to live within it's borders?

What about those that were born within the borders but voluntarily choosing not to participate?

What about those that were born within the borders but voluntarily choosing not to participate?

Does this hypothetical person have legs?

So anybody that doesn't agree should be forced to move. Now that sounds like freedom to me!! :sarcasm

So anybody that doesn't agree should be forced to move. Now that sounds like freedom to me!! :sarcasm

You dont have to move to escape all taxation, just quit your job, sell your house, and become homeless and live on the streets. No income, no income tax, no real property, no property tax. All thats left is sales tax, but if you eat at a soup kitchen or from the trash you can dodge that too.

Now that I'm done with the smart remark, to live anywhere, you are going to have to accept a government's authority.

You dont have to move to escape all taxation, just quit your job, sell your house, and become homeless and live on the streets. No income, no income tax, no real property, no property tax. All thats left is sales tax, but if you eat at a soup kitchen or from the trash you can dodge that too.

Now that I'm done with the smart remark, to live anywhere, you are going to have to accept a government's authority.

:yeah

Let me turn that same logic on you. Let's say that you live in an A/C system. You work for a company that you do not agree with. What are your options? Well...you can attempt to change your company...or you can leave. Please explain how that is different.

Let me turn that same logic on you. Let's say that you live in an A/C system. You work for a company that you do not agree with. What are your options? Well...you can attempt to change your company...or you can leave. Please explain how that is different.

The difference is that leaving the country is very costly and a person could leave a company at little to no cost.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2038318/posts

A lot of people probably can't understand why someone would voluntarily give up American citizenship -- but if someone wanted to do that, they'd now incur financial penalties for it.

Congress just passed a new law that will stop your capital -- or at least a good portion of it -- at the border, should you decide not to be a U.S. citizen anymore. Is it, perhaps, in preparation for the possibility that Americans might rebel at the debt and taxes incurred by their government by leaving for lower-tax locales?

You probably didn't notice this little provision inserted into the Heroes Act of 2008, passed by Congress on June 17. The headlines in the press release about the law were about the increased benefits for veterans and families of deceased military.

But Richard Kohan of Price WaterhouseCoopers drew my attention to one section of the act, which states that anyone voluntarily giving up his or her citizenship will be taxed on all of his assets as if he or she had sold them -- paying capital gains on assets that have increased in value, even though they have not been sold.

That's right. While everyone in the media is focused on keeping aliens out of America, Congress has voted to lock its citizens - or at least a good portion of their assets -- into America! Maybe they're thinking that patriotism won't be enough to keep the smart money from recognizing the coming increases in the tax burden.

The difference is that leaving the country is very costly and a person could leave a company at little to no cost.

A lot of people probably can't understand why someone would voluntarily give up American citizenship -- but if someone wanted to do that, they'd now incur financial penalties for it.

Congress just passed a new law that will stop your capital -- or at least a good portion of it -- at the border, should you decide not to be a U.S. citizen anymore. Is it, perhaps, in preparation for the possibility that Americans might rebel at the debt and taxes incurred by their government by leaving for lower-tax locales?

You probably didn't notice this little provision inserted into the Heroes Act of 2008, passed by Congress on June 17. The headlines in the press release about the law were about the increased benefits for veterans and families of deceased military.

But Richard Kohan of Price WaterhouseCoopers drew my attention to one section of the act, which states that anyone voluntarily giving up his or her citizenship will be taxed on all of his assets as if he or she had sold them -- paying capital gains on assets that have increased in value, even though they have not been sold.

That's right. While everyone in the media is focused on keeping aliens out of America, Congress has voted to lock its citizens - or at least a good portion of their assets -- into America! Maybe they're thinking that patriotism won't be enough to keep the smart money from recognizing the coming increases in the tax burden.

Very true!!

Tag that along with the fact that leaving or staying with a company/business is a completely free and voluntary transaction. Since you voluntarily work for them, if you don't agree with a company and choose to leave or compete against it, there's nothing the company can do but accept your decision. They cannot punish you, force you to continue to work for them or even force you to accept their products. They can either change their practices in order to keep you happy, compete directly against you, or if you choose to leave the field/market altogether they don't chase you down and force you to comply. There is nothing coercive about the voluntary transaction of business.

Government on the other hand is the exact opposite. It's so-called "voluntary" choices are accept it and give up your rights and money, or rebel and suffer the consequences of force from the same government. Having the choice between government or punishment is not a free choice because it doesn't consider the choice of choosing neither. What about those who choose neither? You say they can move, but if they didn't consent to be ruled in the first place why should they be forced to make a choice?

With government, there is no choice and no way to escape or avoid the coercion of it. Therefore, the difference between leaving a business or leaving a government is having a free and voluntary choice without the threat of coercion or force.

At what lengths will the state go to ensure you pay your taxes? We'll soon find out.

U.S., Swiss Agree to Share Data on Tax Evaders

Alarm-ism at it's finest. Here's a quick way around that author's supposedly impervious financial barrier: transfer your money out of the country before you renounce your citizenship. Problem solved, with no taxes paid.

Very true!!

Tag that along with the fact that leaving or staying with a company/business is a completely free and voluntary transaction. Since you voluntarily work for them, if you don't agree with a company and choose to leave or compete against it, there's nothing the company can do but accept your decision. They cannot punish you, force you to continue to work for them or even force you to accept their products. They can either change their practices in order to keep you happy, compete directly against you, or if you choose to leave the field/market altogether they don't chase you down and force you to comply. There is nothing coercive about the voluntary transaction of business.

Government on the other hand is the exact opposite. It's so-called "voluntary" choices are accept it and give up your rights and money, or rebel and suffer the consequences of force from the same government. Having the choice between government or punishment is not a free choice because it doesn't consider the choice of choosing neither. What about those who choose neither? You say they can move, but if they didn't consent to be ruled in the first place why should they be forced to make a choice?

With government, there is no choice and no way to escape or avoid the coercion of it. Therefore, the difference between leaving a business or leaving a government is having a free and voluntary choice without the threat of coercion or force.

Addressing the bold section:

Are you suggesting that if you owe no debt/taxes (and are guilty of no other crime) the US government is going to hunt you down for voluntarily leaving the country? The plot thickens . . .

Alarm-ism at it's finest. Here's a quick way around that author's supposedly impervious financial barrier: transfer your money out of the country before you renounce your citizenship. Problem solved, with no taxes paid.

No matter where people go, they will have to pay taxes and accept a loss of freedoms. Your analogy still doesn't work because anyone who moves will be going somewhere where they are forced to obey the government.