Sarah Palin resigning as governor of Alaska

WASILLA, Alaska – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said Friday she is resigning from office at the end of the month, raising speculation that she would focus on a run for the White House in the 2012 race.

The former Republican vice presidential candidate made the surprise announcement from her home in suburban Wasilla on Friday morning. She said she would step down July 26 but didn't announce her plans.

"Once I decided not to run for re-election, I also felt that to embrace the conventional Lame Duck status in this particular climate would just be another dose of politics as usual, something I campaigned against and will always oppose," Palin said in a statement released by her office.

"It is my duty to always protect our great state. With that in mind, my family and I determined that it is best to make a difference this summer, and I am willing to change things, so that this administration, with its positive agenda, its accomplishments, and its successful road to an incredible future, can continue without interruption and with great administrative and legislative success," she said.

Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell will be inaugurated at the governor's picnic in Fairbanks at the end of the month, Palin spokesman Dave Murrow said.

Palin was first elected in 2006 on a populist platform. But her popularity has waned as she waged in partisan politics following her return from the presidential campaign. Her term would have ended in 2010.

I for one am not looking forward to another Palin media frenzy in a few years if she decides to run for president.

1st move to run for president

And it's a huge mistake for her to do this, political suicide in my opinion. Who wants to vote for someone who resigns as a governor?

Nah, this is a pretty good signal that she is done with election politics altogether.

I fear for the future of the Republican party if the best candidate they can nominate is Sarah Palin. Maybe after resigning she will just fade away. (yeah, right.)

I dobt it, until something better comes along, she's pretty much it. I cetainly wouldn't rule her out in 2012 but she had better surrond herself with some savy campaign people cause them vultures is a comin for her.

At least if she's running for office she'll have to deal with more of a competition. Especially if we end up with as many candidates as we did last year.

I don't think she'll be running for any elected office any time soon. However, she has a PAC and a sizeable donation list that rivals Obama's, so her endorsement will be golden to any candidate.

I believe her family was tired of the potshots taken at them to get at her, and she picked family over political career.

No Republicans supporters I knew of went after Obama's little girls, but that didn't stop Democrat supporters and the media from going after each one of her children, which not surprisingly, still continues today.