Texas Public Schools Required To Teach The Bible

Texas Public Schools Required To Teach The Bible

WHITEHOUSE, TX (KLTV) - The school year is almost here, and if literature of the Bible is not already offered in your child's school, it will be this fall.

Books are a common sight in classrooms around the nation, but the Bible is one book that is not. Come this fall, a Texas law says all public schools must offer information relating to the Bible in their curriculum.

"By the end of the year, what they begin to realize is that it is pervasive. You can't get away from it. The kids came back and were like 'It's everywhere,'" said John Keeling, the social studies chair at Whitehouse High School. Whitehouse already offers a Bible elective. "The purpose of a course like this isn't even really to get kids to believe it, per se, it is just to appreciate the profound impact that it has had on our history and on our government."

The law actually passed in 2007, but this will be the first school year it is enforced because the bill says, "The provisions of this act pertaining to a school district do not take effect until the 2009-2010 school year."

This has gained mixed reactions from East Texans.

"I think it is a good thing because a lot of kids don't have that experience, and they already want to take prayer out of school as it is, and you see where our kids are ending up!" said Tyler resident Laura Tucker.

Tyler resident, Havis Tatum, disagrees with Tucker.

"I don't want anybody teaching their religious beliefs to my child unless they want to send their child to my house and let me teach them my religious views," said Tatum. "There is no difference."

School officials said schools have not enforced the law because of confusion over the bill's wording and lack of state funding.

For now, each school district must find a way to fill the requirement before the seats are filled with students.

We would like to know what you think about this story. Click here to leave your comments and read the contents of Texas House Bill 1287.

I wonder how this is not a violation of the establishment clause.

see Wallace v. Jaffree 472 U.S. 38.

"One of the well-established criteria for determining the constitutionality of a statute under the Establishment Clause is that the statute must have a secular legislative purpose. Lemon v. Kurtzman, 403 U.S. 602, 612-613 (1971). The First Amendment requires that a statute must be invalidated if it is entirely motivated by a purpose to advance religion."

How are publicly funded bible classes in public schools a secular interest?

Obviously, I agree that no school or any public institution for that matter should be allowed to proselytize a belief system of any sort. Be that religious, political, or social. Sadly, this isn't the reality of our schools today.

If this course is intened to discuss the impact of a piece of literature or a philosiphy on our society from a position of non advocacy then I would support it whole heartedly. I think, far to often we want to avoid anything with any religious affiliation in the classroom. Clearly, the intent of the "separation clause" was never to kept our children ignorant of things we may not agree with. I for one have studied middle eastern history and the impact of Islam on it, yet I rarely engage in bloody Jihad against my neighbors (except of course Callahan apoligist).

More likely though, IMHO, this is a blatant attempt to push the faith.

Obviously, I agree that no school or any public institution for that matter should be allowed to proselytize a belief system of any sort. Be that religious, political, or social. Sadly, this isn't the reality of our schools today.

If this course is intened to discuss the impact of a piece of literature or a philosiphy on our society from a position of non advocacy then I would support it whole heartedly. I think, far to often we want to avoid anything with any religious affiliation in the classroom. Clearly, the intent of the "separation clause" was never to kept our children ignorant of things we may not agree with. I for one have studied middle eastern history and the impact of Islam on it, yet I rarely engage in bloody Jihad against my neighbors (except of course Callahan apoligist).

More likely though, IMHO, this is a blatant attempt to push the faith.

I agree, because I know there isn't a chance in hades that schools here in TX will teach the "profound historical impacts" of all religions equally. I wouldn't trust the air heads that I see teaching classes today teaching my kids the fundamentals of any religion! They should stick to math, science, english, history, and the arts; and keep faith out of the equation......................hasn't history taught us this already?

In my private school I was exposed to the key tenants of Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, and a variety of variant sects of each. As an academic issue there is no question that Greco-Roman logical forms mixed with the monotheism of the middle east (especially Tanakh and New Testament) founded our present society. Any attempt to remove the Bible from history or even modern religious discussion is disingenuous and a bi-product of the fundamentalist atheism so popular with the coffee shop crowd these days.

In a free society we should be open to the free discussion of any topic at any place. Debate is to be encouraged, even polarization when possible. Our strength as a civilized people is our ability to not shut out opposition. The public schools not allowing free expression of religion is troubling, to say the least.

In my private school I was exposed to the key tenants of Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, and a variety of variant sects of each. As an academic issue there is no question that Greco-Roman logical forms mixed with the monotheism of the middle east (especially Tanakh and New Testament) founded our present society. Any attempt to remove the Bible from history or even modern religious discussion is disingenuous and a bi-product of the fundamentalist atheism so popular with the coffee shop crowd these days.

In a free society we should be open to the free discussion of any topic at any place. Debate is to be encouraged, even polarization when possible. Our strength as a civilized people is our ability to not shut out opposition. The public schools not allowing free expression of religion is troubling, to say the least.

The article states that "all public schools must offer information relating to the Bible in their curriculum."

It states nothing about other religions. Religions like Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, et al. are very important historical forces and deserve an equal historical status as the bible. But they aren't equal in the minds of the lawmakers in Texas. The bible is being shoved down these children's throats.

The article states that "all public schools must offer information relating to the Bible in their curriculum."

It states nothing about other religions. Religions like Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, et al. are very important historical forces and deserve an equal historical status as the bible. But they aren't equal in the minds of the lawmakers in Texas. The bible is being shoved down these children's throats.

Neither Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, et al. had even a fraction of the impact the Old and New Testaments had on Western civilization. Specific to America and the West, the Bible ought to be given far more attention than these others. In a World Civ context it would of course be important to include the others, but notions of 'equality for all ideas' are absurd. By that logic we could give the cultists at Jonestown as much time and intellectual weight as the teachings of Christ or even the Islamo-fascists we've been combatting since Jefferson's presidency.

I wonder how much this will increase the enrollment at private schools?

You mean decrease? Why would parents be paying 7 grand a year for private schools when literally you can get the same exact thing now in a public school without paying one dime for tuition. Before the only difference was religion classes, now they are the same. I guess you do learn more about it in a privite school though.

You mean decrease? Why would parents be paying 7 grand a year for private schools when literally you can get the same exact thing now in a public school without paying one dime for tuition.

because a public option....for school...will never work!!!!! :steam

I have no problem with the bible being discussed in a historical context...in a history/social studies class. Nor do I have a problem with schools offering religion (be it Christianity or other) as an elective course.

It's when schools are forced to introduce the teachings/ideas contained in religious works as fact. Such as so called "intelligent design"

I wonder how much this will increase the enrollment at private schools?

You mean decrease? Why would parents be paying 7 grand a year for private schools when literally you can get the same exact thing now in a public school without paying one dime for tuition. Before the only difference was religion classes, now they are the same. I guess you do learn more about it in a privite school though.

Do you really believe that the only difference between public and private school is religious classes? Public education in the US is a joke and there are plenty of studies that back that up. Most parents enroll their kids in private school so that they have somewhat of a say in what their children are taught. This is clearly a case of government overstepping and forcing students to learn something without regard of student or parental opinion.

The reality of the matter is that public education doesn't offer any public choices whatsoever. In this case, the Bible will be taught, students and parents will have no choice in the matter. What is taught at public school is what those in government power deem suitable. Seeing as how government power fluctuates with each election, this could very well mean a change in public school curriculum after each election. Since this is the case, how can parents who wish to have a say in their child’s education, ever consistently know what public schools will be teaching? Would this not cause an increase in private school enrollment?

Regardless of the private school enrollment, say you are right and the number of parents who wish to have religion taught in school far outweighs those who don't wish to have it taught. Even if it did create an increase in public school enrollment how do you figure that it wouldn't cost them a dime? Is public school really free?

Any increase in demand always causes the prices to go up, and public schooling is no different. More students enrolling requires an increase in teachers, administrators, books, athletic equipment, etc… This in turn requires more funding. Does the funding just appear out of thin air as if the Federal Reserve is hot at the press again? No, it comes from the pockets of each individual who pays taxes. Increases in funding require an increase in taxes, and guess who pays those taxes? Enrollment “without a dime for tuition, ” I think not!!

Ah, the irony.

Outrage about other people shoving religion down their throats they don't believe in, then in turn, the person outraged shoves their social programs down yours, rationalizing your "moral obligation" to pay for it.

Amazing isn't it!!

Was this in reference to anyone's post?? Just wondering!!