Death Panels

I thought this was pretty enlightening. Guess what? Vets get screwed again.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB2000142405...0107981718.html

If President Obama wants to better understand why America's discomfort with end-of-life discussions threatens to derail his health-care reform, he might begin with his own Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). He will quickly discover how government bureaucrats are greasing the slippery slope that can start with cost containment but quickly become a systematic denial of care.

Last year, bureaucrats at the VA's National Center for Ethics in Health Care advocated a 52-page end-of-life planning document, "Your Life, Your Choices." It was first published in 1997 and later promoted as the VA's preferred living will throughout its vast network of hospitals and nursing homes. After the Bush White House took a look at how this document was treating complex health and moral issues, the VA suspended its use. Unfortunately, under President Obama, the VA has now resuscitated "Your Life, Your Choices."

Who is the primary author of this workbook? Dr. Robert Pearlman, chief of ethics evaluation for the center, a man who in 1996 advocated for physician-assisted suicide in Vacco v. Quill before the U.S. Supreme Court and is known for his support of health-care rationing.

"Your Life, Your Choices" presents end-of-life choices in a way aimed at steering users toward predetermined conclusions, much like a political "push poll." For example, a worksheet on page 21 lists various scenarios and asks users to then decide whether their own life would be "not worth living."

The circumstances listed include ones common among the elderly and disabled: living in a nursing home, being in a wheelchair and not being able to "shake the blues." There is a section which provocatively asks, "Have you ever heard anyone say, 'If I'm a vegetable, pull the plug'?" There also are guilt-inducing scenarios such as "I can no longer contribute to my family's well being," "I am a severe financial burden on my family" and that the vet's situation "causes severe emotional burden for my family."

When the government can steer vulnerable individuals to conclude for themselves that life is not worth living, who needs a death panel?

One can only imagine a soldier surviving the war in Iraq and returning without all of his limbs only to encounter a veteran's health-care system that seems intent on his surrender.

I was not surprised to learn that the VA panel of experts that sought to update "Your Life, Your Choices" between 2007-2008 did not include any representatives of faith groups or disability rights advocates. And as you might guess, only one organization was listed in the new version as a resource on advance directives: the Hemlock Society (now euphemistically known as "Compassion and Choices").

This hurry-up-and-die message is clear and unconscionable. Worse, a July 2009 VA directive instructs its primary care physicians to raise advance care planning with all VA patients and to refer them to "Your Life, Your Choices." Not just those of advanced age and debilitated condition—all patients. America's 24 million veterans deserve better.

Many years ago I created an advance care planning document called "Five Wishes" that is today the most widely used living will in America, with 13 million copies in national circulation. Unlike the VA's document, this one does not contain the standard bias to withdraw or withhold medical care. It meets the legal requirements of at least 43 states, and it runs exactly 12 pages.

After a decade of observing end-of-life discussions, I can attest to the great fear that many patients have, particularly those with few family members and financial resources. I lived and worked in an AIDS home in the mid-1980s and saw first-hand how the dying wanted more than health care—they wanted someone to care.

If President Obama is sincere in stating that he is not trying to cut costs by pressuring the disabled to forgo critical care, one good way to show that commitment is to walk two blocks from the Oval Office and pull the plug on "Your Life, Your Choices." He should make sure in the future that VA decisions are guided by values that treat the lives of our veterans as gifts, not burdens.

Interesting that the premise is that the so-called "death panels" is an Obama idea. The person who added the provision of end-of-life counseling (which is what it is) was Johnny Isakson, a Republican Senator from Georgia.

A letter from the aforementioned Senator released to the press:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Isakson Denounces White House Comments Connecting Him

To Terribly Flawed House Health Care Bill

‘This Is What Happens When the President and Members of Congress Don’t Read the Bills’

WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Johnny Isakson, R-Ga., today denounced comments made by President Obama and his spokesman regarding Isakson’s alleged connection to language contained in the House health care bill on “end-of-life counseling.”

Isakson vehemently opposes the House and Senate health care bills and he played no role in drafting language in the House bill calling for the government to expand Medicare and incentivize doctors by offering them extra money to conduct “end-of-life counseling” with Medicare patients every five years on an extensive list of required topics.

By contrast, Isakson took a very different approach in July during the Senate HELP Committee hearings on the Senate version of the health care bill. Isakson’s amendment to the Senate bill says that anyone who participates in the long-term care benefit in which they put their own money into a health savings account may use their money in this account – if they so choose -- to obtain legal assistance in formulating their own living will and durable power of attorney. Unlike the House bill, Isakson’s amendment would not expand Medicare and would not prescribe any topics that must be discussed.

Isakson’s amendment, which was accepted unanimously by all Republicans and Democrats on the Senate HELP Committee, empowers the individual to make their own choices on these critical issues, rather than the government incentivizing doctors to conduct counseling on government-mandated topics. Isakson ultimately voted against the Senate health care bill.

“This is what happens when the President and members of Congress don’t read the bills. The White House and others are merely attempting to deflect attention from the intense negativity caused by their unpopular policies. I never consulted with the White House in this process and had no role whatsoever in the House Democrats’ bill. I categorically oppose the House bill and find it incredulous that the White House and others would use my amendment as a scapegoat for their misguided policies,” Isakson said. “My Senate amendment simply puts health care choices back in the hands of the individual and allows them to consider if they so choose a living will or durable power of attorney. The House provision is merely another ill-advised attempt at more government mandates, more government intrusion, and more government involvement in what should be an individual choice.”

###

Source: Isakson.senate.gov

You're right - my error for not checking more closely on this.

Hey, don't feel bad, nobody else got the chance to read this thing either. Unfortunately, that includes the guys who are charged with voting on it. Kind of reminds me of the whole TARP thing, but that turned out just fine didn't it?

Veterans Told They Have Fatal Disease and Lou Gehrig's Disease

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Jim Roberts

Aug 25, 2009

In a horrific mistake as many as 1,200 veterans across the country have been mistakenly told by the Veterans Administration that they suffer from a fatal neurological disease, specifically Lou Gehrig's disease, or ALS. They were sent a letter telling them of the news. It was an error and the diagnosis was wrong, the letters apparently had a 'coding' error. Veterans and others are outraged as one can imagine the panic of reading a letter from the government that states you have a fatal disease.

According to Kids' Health, "Lou Gehrig's disease damages motor neurons in the brain and spinal cord." The report notes, "Motor neurons are nerve cells that control muscle movement. Upper motor neurons send messages from the brain to the spinal cord, and lower motor neurons send messages from the spinal cord to the muscles. Motor neurons are an important part of the body's neuromuscular system."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

As a Vet and a Health Care provider I have very little respect for the VA. Just go in and ask about your benefits and you will realize that they basically will flood you with paper work and do everything they can do to keep you from receiving the benefits you deserve because you served.

T_O_B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Jim Roberts

Aug 25, 2009

In a horrific mistake as many as 1,200 veterans across the country have been mistakenly told by the Veterans Administration that they suffer from a fatal neurological disease, specifically Lou Gehrig's disease, or ALS. They were sent a letter telling them of the news. It was an error and the diagnosis was wrong, the letters apparently had a 'coding' error. Veterans and others are outraged as one can imagine the panic of reading a letter from the government that states you have a fatal disease.

According to Kids' Health, "Lou Gehrig's disease damages motor neurons in the brain and spinal cord." The report notes, "Motor neurons are nerve cells that control muscle movement. Upper motor neurons send messages from the brain to the spinal cord, and lower motor neurons send messages from the spinal cord to the muscles. Motor neurons are an important part of the body's neuromuscular system."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

As a Vet and a Health Care provider I have very little respect for the VA. Just go in and ask about your benefits and you will realize that they basically will flood you with paper work and do everything they can do to keep you from receiving the benefits you deserve because you served.

T_O_B

This is so true. I know a few vets that use their regular insurance at their physician of choice, and go to the VA to get their meds.

T_O_B

I'm a vet also, served in the Marine Corps before and after 9/11, yet I never filed for benefits nor do I think I'm entitled to or deserve benefits that are funded by stealing anyone else's money. Why is it that you do? Did you make the choice to join or were you drafted? If you were enslaved to fight I could see your beef, but otherwise I don't see it.

T_O_B

I'm a vet also, served in the Marine Corps before and after 9/11, yet I never filed for benefits nor do I think I'm entitled to or deserve benefits that are funded by stealing anyone else's money. Why is it that you do? Did you make the choice to join or were you drafted? If you were enslaved to fight I could see your beef, but otherwise I don't see it.

My business cares for 13 vets, six quadraplegics and 7 WWII vets. They all live independently because of benefits they receive from the VA. 3 of the quads are Viet Nam vets as am I. Come around some time and try feeding your, "stealing anyone else's money" or "you were enslaved to fight" BS to them. They will eat your lunch. 11 of my guys saw combat and weren't just in during a time when we as a nation were attacked by a group of terroists.

T_O_B

T_O_B

My business cares for 13 vets, six quadraplegics and 7 WWII vets. They all live independently because of benefits they receive from the VA. 3 of the quads are Viet Nam vets as am I. Come around some time and try feeding your, "stealing anyone else's money" or "you were enslaved to fight" BS to them. They will eat your lunch. 11 of my guys saw combat and weren't just in during a time when we as a nation were attacked by a group of terroists.

T_O_B

Do you not think if the entitlement system our country has become was less burdensome that more people would donate to charity? Would these same men not benefit from charity? It has been my experience, and I'm pretty sure that you would attest to the same, that most people hold veterans in high regard and would be more than happy to help.

Also, so instead of serving during a time when we were attacked by terrorists, the combat they received was spent as the attacking terrorists? I don't get your point. I served in the military also, and the fact that I didn't serve in Vietnam or Korea has no impact on whether I believe I deserve benefits or not.

You have no Idea of what the cost of caring for a quad amounts to. The only alternative that is open to them is moving into a facility which is not only more expensive but they want to live indepently. Charity, that's a pipe dream.

T_O_B

You'd be surprised at how giving some individuals can be. Especially when they don't have nearly half of their hard earned money stolen from them.

You have no Idea of what the cost of caring for a quad amounts to. The only alternative that is open to them is moving into a facility which is not only more expensive but they want to live indepently. Charity, that's a pipe dream.

T_O_B

You'd be surprised at how giving some individuals can be. Especially when they don't have nearly half of their hard earned money stolen from them.

It wouldn't happen. What you would do is simply replace one bearuocacy with another. These aren't cute little kids who need help, they aren't victims of a catastrophy that is reported on a newscast, you live in San Diego go out to the VA and have a look for yourself. Most people don't want to see these guys and if they encounter them most people will look away.

T_O_B