DRM/Piracy/Open Source etc. etc. etc.

http://www.reddit.com/comments/9cw88/am_i_...ic_downloaders/

reddit is always enjoyable.

It's an argument against piracy and the ones arguing against it are getting their asses handed to them by libertarians. I've gotta say that they make well-reasoned arguments for it and it's starting to convince me on the dangers of government regulations stifling progression and growth. I mean, if it's something as innocuous as copyrights (and SOCAL will probably tell me that it's not inncouous), I've got to say, where does the line get drawn.

It's been a while since I've been in this forum. I felt that I was being ridiculed for not knowing enough about this stuff and I was getting pissed. But this lit my fire again.

I'll just say one thing about all the fair use nonsense that we have to put up with in the infancy of the internet. In 1600 when Shakespeare was penning his timeless plays there was basically no such thing as a copyright. In fact coming up with something original wasn't even considered to be useful. Shakespeare directly lifted a lot of his plays from modern source material––entire plots, even––and simply changed the language. What we have today is outdated business models gasping for breath in the deluge that is the internet and its anonymity.

The music and book industries, particularly, need to get with the program. Recently the RIAA retracted its mafia lawsuit tactics in favor of ISP warnings, but I believe the day of reckoning is soon coming for record companies who think that they should be able to charge 10-15 bucks for a CD in an era where distribution is virtually free. I don't pretend to have the answer to all this, but some of our creative industries are using outdated revenue models from an era which won't return until after a nuclear holocaust––if then.