The Cult Continues

What I don't like to see is children being used for political purposes.

and I don't like seeing children being used for religious purposes either...but it happens. And we hear less of an uproar about that.

Indoctrination and education are two different things. When we are talking about teaching children to be careful of fire, eat your vegetables, look both ways before crossing the street, don't talk to strangers...that's education. The indoctrinated person is not allowed to challenge or critically dispute what they have learned. The thing is we don't know whether the kids have an understanding of what they are singing. These kids might very well have had discussions in class about health care while learning this song. They may have had the same discussions with their parents. On the other side of things, they may not have. Their parents may have pushed their political beliefs on the children just as most parents do....or maybe it just rubbed off on them.

I just don't think we can jump to conclusion that these children are singing for a public option because you think the 'private and public' care line is a camouflage (even though I don't see how). And I don't think most people would be persuaded by these kids to lean either way. I for one (and you), after seeing this video, don't have the sudden urge to run to Congress and protest one way or the other.

What I don't like to see is children being used for political purposes.

and I don't like seeing children being used for religious purposes either...but it happens. And we hear less of an uproar about that.

Indoctrination and education are two different things. When we are talking about teaching children to be careful of fire, eat your vegetables, look both ways before crossing the street, don't talk to strangers...that's education. The indoctrinated person is not allowed to challenge or critically dispute what they have learned. The thing is we don't know whether the kids have an understanding of what they are singing. These kids might very well have had discussions in class about health care while learning this song. They may have had the same discussions with their parents. On the other side of things, they may not have. Their parents may have pushed their political beliefs on the children just as most parents do....or maybe it just rubbed off on them.

I just don't think we can jump to conclusion that these children are singing for a public option because you think the 'private and public' care line is a camouflage (even though I don't see how). And I don't think most people would be persuaded by these kids to lean either way. I for one (and you), after seeing this video, don't have the sudden urge to run to Congress and protest one way or the other.

I'll agree on this point. If these kids have had a healthy, balanced discussion about the health care issue and AGREED to compose/perform a song on CNN, there isn't much of a problem. It's still a waste of time, but not something people need to get sacked for, certainly.

Certain elements of the media may be making a mountain out of a molehill, but I for one am extremely uncomfortable of even the appearance of children being used in politics. They are still citizens, however, so if they are willing to do this sort of thing the best one can do is frown on it and hope they someday know better.

• 1 month later...
I'll agree on this point. If these kids have had a healthy, balanced discussion about the health care issue and AGREED to compose/perform a song on CNN, there isn't much of a problem. It's still a waste of time, but not something people need to get sacked for, certainly.

Certain elements of the media may be making a mountain out of a molehill, but I for one am extremely uncomfortable of even the appearance of children being used in politics. They are still citizens, however, so if they are willing to do this sort of thing the best one can do is frown on it and hope they someday know better.

Hear, hear! They're kids, for God's sake. Leave them out of the political maelstrom. :facepalm:

I don't care what flavor you are, Democrat, Republican or (like me) Independent. The very notion that children are being taught these songs should boil your blood. The songs with historic themes... OK, I can live with those. But anything even close to left- or right-leaning is BS.