Why Aren't We Training Our Receivers This Way?

When Leach recruits high-school players, he is forced to compromise on most talents, but he insists on speed. All have been conditioned to run much more than a football player normally does. A typical N.F.L. receiver in training might run 1,500 yards of sprints a day; Texas Tech receivers run 2,500 yards. To prepare his receivers’ ankles and knees for the unusual punishment of his nonstop-running offense, Leach has installed a 40-yard-long sand pit on his practice field; slogging through the sand, he says, strengthens the receivers’ joints. And when they finish sprinting, they move to Leach’s tennis-ball bazookas. A year of catching tiny fuzzy balls fired at their chests at 60 m.p.h. has turned many young men who got to Texas Tech with hands of stone into glue-fingered receivers.

Not so much the insane running, but stuff like firing tennis balls at our receivers after they're finished sprinting. Outside the box stuff like that - stuff that will train our receivers to catch the football on game day. Too many dropped passes & I can't help but think that some of the blame should fall on Gilmore. You can't teach speed but damnit you should be able to find ways to train them to catch the football when it has to be caught (i.e. Gilleylen's drop that would've probably been a touchdown).

The better question should be: why are we recruiting WR's that can't catch? WR's should be able to catch long before ever stepping foot in Lincoln. It's one of the most basic and fundamental things in football. Take Suh for example. He picks the ball off 5 yards or less than when it left the QB's hands meaning it probably had quite a bit of zip on it. How often do you suppose he practices this?

We just need our WR's to take the Adam Sandler approach in Happy Gilmore catching baseballs with their head and chest.

haha but that's not going to help us move the position =/

however, I think it would be better if we took the Adam Sandler approach in Waterboy we would have awesome blocks and our D would be guaranteed #1 overall in the BCS.

Captain Insano!

When Leach recruits high-school players, he is forced to compromise on most talents, but he insists on speed. All have been conditioned to run much more than a football player normally does. A typical N.F.L. receiver in training might run 1,500 yards of sprints a day; Texas Tech receivers run 2,500 yards. To prepare his receivers’ ankles and knees for the unusual punishment of his nonstop-running offense, Leach has installed a 40-yard-long sand pit on his practice field; slogging through the sand, he says, strengthens the receivers’ joints. And when they finish sprinting, they move to Leach’s tennis-ball bazookas. A year of catching tiny fuzzy balls fired at their chests at 60 m.p.h. has turned many young men who got to Texas Tech with hands of stone into glue-fingered receivers.

No wonder it is so hard to eat crab legs!

The better question should be: why are we recruiting WR's that can't catch?

WINNER!!

:yeah

But wait, I was told on this board that we had plenty of good w/r's behind Swift and Peterson, before last years signing date, when I asked why we weren't going after more w/r's. Yeah, must be the coaching :sarcasm

GBR!!!

I could be mistaken, but wasn't Niles Paul a very heralded receiver coming out of high school, as in one of the best receivers from Nebraska? He's one of the fastest guys on the team, and did a very good job vs. Missouri. It's just too bad that he's not consistent, and laid a big stinky egg vs. TTech.

I think we're probably 'training' our WRs very well...what gets my goat is that I watch other teams with freshman, juco, or even veteran receivers have balls thrown to them while they are WIDE OPEN in space!!

Honestly the only pass I can remember this year where a guy was by himself and was able to really run after the catch was Paul on the long bomb!! For example, Florida St v NC the other nite, both teams had guys on slant routes, dig routes, and throwbacks where they were able to run for 3-8 yds after catch...

Why can't we get receivers open in space and allow them to make moves for extra yds? every play seems to be an out route near the sideline or a TE drag across coverage that ends up being thrown near the edge. My dad (who coached college ball for 22 yrs) said it's because 1. it's a 'possesion' type passing game 2. Lee holds the ball too long

I don't care if our guys are training in sand, mud, or flowers...get them the ball in open space and let them MAKE PLAYS like all the 'athlete's" at OU, Miami, etc...