Shawn Watson..the only coach left for the "worthless!" Callahan era...enough said!!!

I’m seeing a tragic symptom with Shawn Watson. Ever since he’s been the OC of the Huskers, there’s been at least one game a year where the offense was just unprepared to play. Last year it was Iowa State at home. This year it was the last game and the embarrassing SDSU game.

Honestly against SDSU and Texas it is more of a whole staff thing. The lack of discipline or skills from our WRs has been going on for some time from guys not named Swift/Peterson and Purify, and it's really time to take Gilmore to task for the attitude and mentality of the WR corps he's been putting out for us. Here's an area that is playing way below potential, and it isn't for lack of ability.

Watson's offense doesn't give a defense a lot to think about

Ah. Now we are not complex or multiple enough.

I'm seeing a tragic symptom with Shawn Watson. Ever since he's been the OC of the Huskers, there's been at least one game a year where the offense was just unprepared to play. Last year it was Iowa State at home. This year it was the last game and the embarrassing SDSU game.

Honestly against SDSU and Texas it is more of a whole staff thing. The lack of discipline or skills from our WRs has been going on for some time from guys not named Swift/Peterson and Purify, and it's really time to take Gilmore to task for the attitude and mentality of the WR corps he's been putting out for us. Here's an area that is playing way below potential, and it isn't for lack of ability.

Watson's offense doesn't give a defense a lot to think about

Ah. Now we are not complex or multiple enough.

I wouldn't call our offense complex in the very least. Multiple to me means mixing things up when the situation calls for it. Another epic fail there as well. Again this is just my opinion. Not upset in the least if others don't share that opinion but mine's sure not going to change unless he proves me wrong otherwise.

“They (Texas) just ran their defense.“They ran what they do. They ran heavy fronts (five linemen). At the same time, when we made some adjustments we were able to chink it, too".

-Shawn Watson as quoted in today's OWH

"When we made some adjustments, we were able to chink it...."??!!!????

The only adjustment I saw was putting Zac Lee in late in the third quarter when the game was already as good as lost.

If Watson thinks scoring a lone field goal after his "adjustments" qualifies as "chinking" the Texas defense,

he's in cloud coocoo land.

This loss isn't really Watson's fault. I get frustrated at his playcalling sometimes, but games like this it came down to a complete lack of execution. TMart kept making bad reads which is a good part why the run game wasn't there. Then you have to look at the several good calls where he basically had a touchdown, and the receivers just kept dropping it.

We shoulda hung 35+ on them and won with the playcalling we had.

Funny...when the offense was rolling along and piling up yards and points, no mention of wanting to fire Watson. One bad game that can be placed squarely on the players shoulders and all of a sudden the Fire Wats bandwagon makes a showing

Thats what happens when you cant adjust your play calling. If a play dont work, dont use that play. ZONE READ

The zone read is just like the old "I" option. It's assignment football. On the zone read the defense must make the correct play, be in the correct position, make the tackle ever time or face Martinez taking it to the house. On Saturday, for the most part Texas made the play everytime.

This loss isn't really Watson's fault. I get frustrated at his playcalling sometimes, but games like this it came down to a complete lack of execution. TMart kept making bad reads which is a good part why the run game wasn't there. Then you have to look at the several good calls where he basically had a touchdown, and the receivers just kept dropping it.

Watson called the plays that led to 4 dropped touchdown passes on four seperate drives.

I have never heard of a single OC that wasn't criticized. TO was criticized relentlessly for getting his ass kicked over and overto OU and routine ass kickings in bowl games. He continued to run option after option even when NU was behind by 2 touchdowns late in the 4th..........WHY?

Malth....I like what you said here.

But that's the thing... I can't blame a 19-year-old freshman being green. I can blame a senior captain receiver missing half his catches. Point is, they weren't ready. And it wasn't just the QB or the receivers, but the offense across the board wasn't clicking, even when Zach came in. That's a problem with coaching and prep-work, not the talent of the students.

Thus far, i have interpreted "multiple" to mean shotgun formation.

I miss the "I", i miss the full back, i miss power football(didnt we see this this year for one drive inthe washington game?)

Hell, how about the Wildcat?? I was certain we'd see that at some point, because we have a fast quarterback and two running backs who can catch the ball. Why didn't we use that? We won a bowl game with it last year, right? More questions...

Thus far, i have interpreted "multiple" to mean shotgun formation.

I miss the "I", i miss the full back, i miss power football(didnt we see this this year for one drive inthe washington game?)

Agreed. The thing I miss most about it was the option pass. It was devastating to an aggressive defense. The shotgun run-game is way too slow developing. Just look at what Wisconsin did against Ohio St. with a quick hitting, lead blocking I-Formation attack. The read-option works when a defense is tired and threatened by a passing game. Watson should know this and more importantly, Bo should know this.

I'm going to quote something posted on HI free boards that should diffuse some of the talk about lack of creativity or change in the offense we ran against Texas as opposed to previous games this season.

I have to say, I wouldn't have noticed any of this. But I'm not paying close enough attention.

14 of the 21 pass plays, not including Taylor scrambles on called pass plays, had routes that haven't been run since Watson began at Nebraska. Watson had put together a game plan that was enough for at least 35 points on the board.

So, Watson adding a ton of new wrinkles to the passing game (14 of 21 called, see my previous post) that has never been see before from a Watson led offense in Lincoln isn't good enough for ya?

So, Watson/Cotton adding a few new wrinkles to the OL blocking (don't have a total number yet) that hasn't been seen in the 3 years Barney has been here, isn't good enough for you?

So, Watson adding a few different (minimum 6 that I counted in 1st half) breakaways from previous ran spread plays isn't good enough for you?

Just to give you an idea, the play where Rex dropped the TD pass is (1) a formation we haven't seen, ever, in Lincoln and (2) a route by all receivers (3 on this play) involved on play side. Why did it catch Texas off guard? That's right, it was game planning by Watson that caught a Muschamp defense napping and Rex didn't cap it off. Tough to blame Watson on that, the entire play was executed beautifully, to perfection, up to the point Rex touched the ball.

2, just off of memory is (1) Niles' first drop (I think 1st drop) when Kyler stretches the field and Niles runs under the coverage and (2) Burkhead short wheel route with twins split to play side with double slants to clear the sideline.

Muschamp has a similar pass defense philosophy as Pelini, pattern matching and our WR's open all afternoon wasn't because of a weak UT secondary, Watson put in routes that UT wasn't familiar with/haven't seen before from Nebraska.

Have to say it changes my outlook a little on the direction of the offense we are going in with Taylor. Doesn't sound like we were outschemed by Muschamp; to the contrary, it sounds like we had 'em, we had 'em, and we just couldn't do the job. Against a DC like Muschamp, that is damn impressive.

• Fire 2