Larry Asente?

What did Eric Martin do?

:dunno

Jumps around like a madman (which he is) before special teams plays . . . pumps up the crowd . . . etc. I'm not condemning it, I think it is entirely appropriate for a defender to act that way. It's a great mindset. I was just saying that he's more vocal than Asante and probably more of a self-promoter/talker.

Sorry....Asante pisses me off. He is the biggest trash talker and self promoter on the team. That hit he put on the OU receiver was devastating...and legal. But just walk away. The guy had taken his helmet off and was obviously hurt and Asante is jumping over top of him. Shut up and play.

You didn't watch the same game I watched. Asante made a great hit on a WR, then spent a couple of seconds celebrating in excitement. He didn't gloat over the player, he just happened to be facing the guy. You're completely ignoring Asante's behavior after it became clear the receiver was hurt, too. It doesn't make your point any better to tell half the story, it just looks like you're reaching.

Personally, I'd like to see a LOT more fire out of our players. These guys seem too workman-like to me, almost like robots out there. Emotion is great and helps carry players through a tough game and the exhaustion that goes with it.

I'd rather see Asante's reaction than the dull, lifeless guys we had on both sides of the ball against Texas Tech.

Asante didnt know he was hurt at the time. As soon as he realized the guy was hurt his body language changed. He was just excited that he made a huge hit. BTW does anyone know if that guy returned to the game, i thought it looked like he just got winded, but after thinking about it he could have possibly broken some ribs.

Yeah, I thought it was very unsportsmanlike too, but Asante's demeanor did change after he noticed the guy was hurt. It doesn't look good, what he did, but there's nothing really wrong with getting in the face of a player you just owned out on the field. Part of the game.

And Eric Martin is freakin' nuts. I'm amazed how much he lives up to his hype as a ST demon.

Sorry....Asante pisses me off. He is the biggest trash talker and self promoter on the team. That hit he put on the OU receiver was devastating...and legal. But just walk away. The guy had taken his helmet off and was obviously hurt and Asante is jumping over top of him. Shut up and play.

It’s Division 1 football. It aint intramurals, brotha.

What did Eric Martin do?

Jumps around like a madman (which he is) before special teams plays . . . pumps up the crowd . . . etc. I'm not condemning it, I think it is entirely appropriate for a defender to act that way. It's a great mindset. I was just saying that he's more vocal than Asante and probably more of a self-promoter/talker.

While doing that stuff does help him and he's doing it to make himself more pumped up, it helps the team also because they can feed off his and the crowd's energy. Not to mention when he's pumped like that he is capable of making some big plays on D and special teams.

Calling someone a "self-promoter" seems to have a negative connotation.

What did Eric Martin do?

While doing that stuff does help him and he's doing it to make himself more pumped up, it helps the team also because they can feed off his and the crowd's energy. Not to mention when he's pumped like that he is capable of making some big plays on D and special teams.

Calling someone a "self-promoter" seems to have a negative connotation.

Agreed. I didn't do a good job of explaining what I meant. I was trying to defend Asante and not tear down Martin. Sorry.

Watch it again. I don't think the receiver has his helmet off. There is no way to know that the receiver is hurt at that point . . . all Asante knew is that he just blew a play up. It was not nearly as dirty or classless as the late hitting that Oklahoma kept getting flagged for. (Now if Asante knew that the player was hurt it would be a different story.)

And no, Asante is not the biggest self-promoter on the team. I think that title so far has to go to Eric Martin based on his on-field antics. However, Martin does seem to back it up . . . and for that matter so does Asante.

And if you keep watching, they have the camera on Asante when the player gets up to leave the field, he has his helmet off and is applauding that the player was ok.