SIGNED DT Kevin Williams

alright for KW for committing... pretty much the worst kept secret in recruiting....

i am more interested in what JT had to say about it opening up the flood gates........ not sure what it means but i think we'll be picking up somemore recruits ina few days or so... nothing for sure... just a hunch

but right on to KW!!!!

Good point but who knows hopefully we get some good quality players out of it. 77000+ doesnt hurt our recruiting efforts

Spring game atmosphere sways DT toward NU

The sixth member of Nebraska's 2011 recruiting class might be the first of several high schoolers who left last weekend's spring game with a decision to announce.

Defensive tackle Kevin Williams can't exactly detail the feeling he had when he saw 77,963 fans packed in Memorial Stadium for Saturday's Red-White game. Williams knew, though, that Nebraska was where he wanted to be.

“It was amazing, an awesome experience,” Williams said Monday. “I wouldn't be able to describe it all to you – just the whole package. Everything was there.”

Williams was one of about 70 recruits in Lincoln last weekend - though many of those players either were already signed or didn't have an NU scholarship offer yet.

Regardless, Williams is the first post-spring-game commitment for Nebraska and the first 2011 recruit expected to play on the defensive side.

The 6-foot-2, 275-pound defensive tackle joins four offensive linemen and a quarterback in the 2011 class.

Williams, from Holland, Ohio, plays for coach Vince Marrow at Springfield High School. Marrow is from Youngstown, Ohio, the same hometown of NU coach Bo Pelini.

Williams said he was also considering Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin.

The texts between the two Husker commits kept coming.

When defensive tackle Kevin Williams made it known on Monday that he was committing to Nebraska, a text from his newest friend immediately followed.

Quarterback Jamal Turner, another commit in Nebraska’s 2011 class, hung out with Williams in Lincoln on Saturday night.

And now Turner wanted Williams to know he had made a wise decision.

Said Williams: “He told me, ‘Welcome to the family. Now we can get to business and bring home this national championship when we go.’”

Williams and Turner even hatched the plan to make their official visits to Lincoln together in the fall. The game they’ll come see? Texas, of course.

The 6-foot-2, 275-pound Williams became Nebraska’s sixth commitment, but the first from the defensive side of the ball.

The Holland, Ohio, native joins Turner and four offensive linemen.

Williams was one of more than a dozen key recruits to visit Memorial Stadium on Saturday for Nebraska’s Red-White game.

More than 77,000 people to see a practice.

“It blew me away,” Williams said. “Just the overall package, everything was there for me. It was the perfect trip.”

Williams had offers from Boston College, Wisconsin, Stanford, Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and Bowling Green.

No one connected to him like the Husker coaches, he said.

Even a month before his commitment, Williams told the Journal Star: “I can just call one of the coaches and just talk to them about how my day went, almost like my dad.”

John Papuchis was Nebraska’s lead recruiter of Williams.

“He’s a good person. He can relate,” Williams said. “I feel like I can talk to him about problems that may go on in life or anything. Just somebody I want to sit down and talk to.”

Williams said he is trying to mold his game after former Husker defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, who the recruit watched with a close eye most of last season.

It’s been working for him. As a junior, Williams accumulated 157 tackles, 15 tackles for loss and 15 sacks.

The recruit didn’t get the chance to meet Suh on Saturday but plans to at some point.

“Honestly, I look up to that guy. I really do,” Williams said. “Everything he’s done up to this point is what I’m trying to do. I’m trying to pattern his game. I’m trying to pattern his work ethic. I have a lot of respect for that guy. Hopefully I can be his protege.”

LINK

i know many people aren't interested in ratings, but does anyone know what he is projected at? from what i read from posters and from his videos i would guess he is a 5.7 3 star. thoughts?

Easily a 4 star... maybe 5

lolz to the 5 star. he's not even in the Rivals250 to watch. if he's borderline a top 250 player, he obviously isn't in the top 30. i'm saying 50/50 on a 5.7 3 star or a 5.8 4 star. either way doesn't matter. he's only 16 so after a beastly senior season he'll be a 4 star

i know many people aren't interested in ratings, but does anyone know what he is projected at? from what i read from posters and from his videos i would guess he is a 5.7 3 star. thoughts?

lolz to the 5 star. he's not even in the Rivals250 to watch. if he's borderline a top 250 player, he obviously isn't in the top 30. i'm saying 50/50 on a 5.7 3 star or a 5.8 4 star. either way doesn't matter. he's only 16 so after a beastly senior season he'll be a 4 star

Or as I like to say, let Bo add the stars to them.

Forgot my :sarcasm

Scout is only part way through their evaluations. I would be very surprised if he doesn't get a 4 star from them since he is on the ESPN 150 watchlist. On rivals I think he gets a 4 star as well because they are early in the process of evaluation. Look at his offer list and stat line. 157 tackles and 15 sacks as a Junior... 15 offers including Michigan, Wisconsin, Oregon, Stanford, Michigan State, Illinois, Kansas.