SIGNED DT Kevin Williams

we're not doing so well with these rivals rankings

Rivals rankings don't mean anything when compared to their offer list.

I am aware of this, it's just interesting to look at. most of them just don't make sense to me..

His rivals offer list doesn't have a lot of top-tier teams on it. Some solid teams, but nothing flashy. I think his ranking goes pretty well with his rivals offer list. Of course we all know he's much better :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2:

If that's the logic you're using, though, Tyler Moore would be a 6.1 5* kid. Dude had offers from everywhere. I think it also has a bit to do with his "being committed to Nebraska" syndrome. This should improve as we continue to win.

If that's the logic you're using, though, Tyler Moore would be a 6.1 5* kid. Dude had offers from everywhere. I think it also has a bit to do with his "being committed to Nebraska" syndrome. This should improve as we continue to win.

TM still lacked offers from Alabama, Auburn, Texas, USC, LSU, etc. Really if you take away Florida & Ohio State - he is missing most of the big names that we all assume gets you that 5th star. I'll attribute it to early the early committement, but based on just his offer list he's no Tony Steward (6.1 5*) - so I'd say there is nothign wrong w/ using that logic.

TM still lacked offers from Alabama, Auburn, Texas, USC, LSU, etc. Really if you take away Florida & Ohio State - he is missing most of the big names that we all assume gets you that 5th star. I'll attribute it to early the early committement, but based on just his offer list he's no Tony Steward (6.1 5*) - so I'd say there is nothign wrong w/ using that logic.

And whos to say he wouldnt have gotten those offers if tyler would have drawin out his recruitment longer such as Christian Westerman. I guarantee that Alabama, Auburn, and LSU wouldve offered him. I mean the kid was in their backyard, with a florida offer in hand. And I remeber awhile ago that USC contacted Tyler and Ryne to see if they would be interested, but of course they are NOT. :koolaid2:

And whos to say he wouldnt have gotten those offers if tyler would have drawin out his recruitment longer such as Christian Westerman. I guarantee that Alabama, Auburn, and LSU wouldve offered him. I mean the kid was in their backyard, with a florida offer in hand. And I remeber awhile ago that USC contacted Tyler and Ryne to see if they would be interested, but of course they are NOT. :koolaid2:

Spot on Aspeedlin. Dont let anyone fool you. Florida wanted TM badly. Kevin Williams and Tyler Moore got snubbed in the rankings more than any other of our recruits.

Thx for the backup, Aspeelin. You guys are right- this type of thing happens all the time. For instance, once Baker committed to Nebraska, Rivals listed one offer and one offer only- ours. People do not recruit certain kids that commit to us because the know the kids are solid. This could make their offer list look small, but who cares? We wrapped up the talent.

calm down. I said I attributed it to the early committment. But the OP was that his offer list justified a 6.1 ranking...and I disagreed. Don't get me wrong it's a strong offer list, but not necessarily 6.1 material. Maybe his hypothetical list warrants 6.1, but the actual one doesn't. (if we are basing ranking solely on the list) I have no doubt it would have been much larger, and his ranking higher had he waiting, but that wasn't the OP.

Man you all can get your panties in a bust so easily. I just meant that looking at what schools are interested in a player is a better indication of potential rather than the rivals ranking. That doesn't mean give them a rivals ranking BASED off their offer list... thats just silly.

I'd like to think Rivals ratings are based on how good the Rivals staff members think the player is. They watch tape, go to camps (I'm guessing), they evaluate like coaches. Some programs may not offer a player because of academics or attitude, but he could have five star talent. So if the offer list isn't there does that mean he is only a 5.9 rather than a 6.1? In reality the offer list shouldn't have any bearing. It doesn't change the talent, just the perception of the talent.

The thing that suprised me most in regards to rankings and offers was Sterup. He has a solid offer list, but it wasn't anymore impressive than Kevin Williams (since we're in his thread I'll use him as the example). To rank a Nebraska recruit above an Ohio recruit is rare but happens. What really shocked me is the one school that should be the largest indication of his tallent, Nebraska, didn't offer until late and only because they had to act or lose out. I figured with the NU offer coming in late that he would be a definate 3* at best. I'd say this is indication that in a number of cases Rivals certainly evaluates beyond the offer list. Once they get past the first 500 or so I'm sure it's impossible to tell much of a difference however.

Wrong about Sterup. As soon as he committed 100% to playing CFB he was given the NU offer.

I guess I missed that part - most of this board revolved around his size...little was said about his desire to play basketball. Did Bubba Starling not being 100% football keep him from getting an offer? At least we knew with Sterup that if he chose, he wouldn't be playing both. If he chose basketball he wouldn't be using up a scholarship. Don't see how the two really correlate since we already had 4 OL in the class. Not like we were hard up.

Wrong about Sterup. As soon as he committed 100% to playing CFB he was given the NU offer.

I guess I missed that part - most of this board revolved around his size...little was said about his desire to play basketball. Did Bubba Starling not being 100% football keep him from getting an offer? At least we knew with Sterup that if he chose, he wouldn't be playing both. If he chose basketball he wouldn't be using up a scholarship. Don't see how the two really correlate since we already had 4 OL in the class. Not like we were hard up.

Agree about Bubba, but with only 4 OL we might actually take 2 more IF they are the ones we want, for sure one more wether it is Sterup or not.

Not mentioned before in the thread. If he did decide to play both he would have still counted against the football 'ship numbers.

Not mentioned before in the thread. If he did decide to play both he would have still counted against the football 'ship numbers.

Is it even possible to play both football and basketball? I would think that would be a logistical nightmare.