SIGNED DT Kevin Williams

It's awesome how Bo's forte is DB's and Carl's forte is D-line. As long as we keep a good LB coach (like Ekeler) we will have a stellar D at each position. Now if only we can start recruiting and really developing the O...

I'm no expert, but why does anybody think Ekeler is a good coach? I haven't seen much development from the LB's other than Dillard, and he had looked almost as good early in his career. Not that I think Ekeler is bad either just don't see anything either way. What are you seeing?

I see your point that its hard to see his results, but remember our D-line has been so dominant that the LB job has changed. Also we are using less LB's, but have some quality young guys that by all accounts are really taking off.

I guess based on reports of development, Dillards comeback last year, how well our redshirt freshmen lbs played, and the intensity/fire Ekeler has/brings out in players he seems to be fairly good. I think we will see more of his coaching ability this year as we have guys who have only learned from him.

South Florida offered him the DC position after just his first year of ever being paid to be a full time assistant college football coach. He knows what he is doing. The thing is (as mentioned above) our DL overshadowed just about anything anyone else could have possibly done.

Good points. Especially the USF DC offer. I'm just not sold on Ekeler as a coach, and he has faded after a fast start on recruiting. Nothing against him or anything, he just needs to prove himself, IMO.

I can see that. He did bring us the beast that is Eric Martin though in 2009. :bonez

rt, but why does anybody think Ekeler is a good coach? I haven't seen much development from the LB's other than Dillard, and he had looked almost as good early in his career. Not that I think Ekeler is bad either just don't see anything either way. What are you seeing?

i'd say the jury is still out on ekeler. you can't deny the amazing transformation of phil dillard, but a lot of that just had to do with getting the kid to buy in and get in shape. by the way, dillard never played anywhere near that level earlier in his career. he was an occasionally decent overweight MLB prior to suddenly becoming a defensive force in 2010. ekeler has to bear some responsibility for that.

also, the 2008 linebacking crew was held together with spit and duct tape after all the injuries and still managed to turn in pretty good performances.

so...i'd say ekeler's shown something. this should be the proving year though, now that he's had a couple few years to develop the young, talented linebackers on the roster.

It's awesome how Bo's forte is DB's and Carl's forte is D-line. As long as we keep a good LB coach (like Ekeler) we will have a stellar D at each position. Now if only we can start recruiting and really developing the O...

I'm no expert, but why does anybody think Ekeler is a good coach? I haven't seen much development from the LB's other than Dillard, and he had looked almost as good early in his career. Not that I think Ekeler is bad either just don't see anything either way. What are you seeing?

Dillard played at a much higher level this year than previously. its not even remotely comparable. other than that ekler hasnt really had much to work with. his other 2 LB where freshman, and when you combine that with the fact that we had a dominant defensive line and played a ton ofr pass oriented teams..... there werent a lot of opportunities for them to shine.

In '08 we were in the first year of the regime after a regime that couldn't coach D for ****. We had three walk-ons, including a true-frosh and a converted safety, getting considerable reps. In '09 we had two freshmen starting and were in nickel/dime a ton. I'm not sure how much you can expect.

Good question.

All I can say is this... if he listens at all and observes well, then being around the Pelini brothers will make him a great coach over time (if he is not one yet). A young defensive coach would be hard pressed to be around a better set of mentors that this.

I'm surprised nobody has mention Cody Glenn yet. Glenn switched from RB to LB and within a short amount of time learned the defense and was our starter come fall ball and by the end of the season was ranked #5 in total tackles with 51 (26 solo 25 assisted). Gleen surprised a lot of people with how well he played at the position and Ekeler was one of the main reasons why Gleen succeeded.

Give Ekeler time and we'll have one of the top LB's in the Big 12 and in the country with playing both Compton and Fisher as red shirt freshman. Now add Eric Martin in the mix we'll have 3 Sophmores at the Lineback position next year and within time that could be a scary crew right there.

I'm surprised nobody has mention Cody Glenn yet. Glenn switched from RB to LB and within a short amount of time learned the defense and was our starter come fall ball and by the end of the season was ranked #5 in total tackles with 51 (26 solo 25 assisted). Gleen surprised a lot of people with how well he played at the position and Ekeler was one of the main reasons why Gleen succeeded.

good point. glenn was hardly a polished linebacker, but considering he looked pretty good at it in his first year, you've got to give ekeler credit. add that to the job with dillard and the walk-on parade in 2008 and i'd say we got a good one. :koolaid2:

My guess is that it isnt long before Kevin is "N."

Thats what I like to hear... :koolaid2:

However I remember a certain recruit toward the end of last year you guessed would be "N" but never was. I think it was Ow something or other. :facepalm:

The good news is that most of the time you are right, and we generally agree on the quality of players that we get so I'm goin with a :thumbs for now, but if you are wrong you will get a :nutz !

Go Big Spring Game Weekend Recruit Push! :bonez