ATH Kain Colter

Cherry Creek (Engelwood, Colo.) athlete Kain Colter gave a very early commitment to Stanford but recently backed off that commitment and is now looking at four schools.

Colter is a dual-threat quarterback who some schools like as a potential athlete down the road if quarterback doesn't work out. He definitely wants a shot at quarterback and isn't even looking at schools who won't give him that opportunity.

"Every school I'm looking at is saying quarterback right now," Colter said. "I already took official visits to Arizona State and Northwestern and I'm going to visit Nebraska for sure after the dead period, and I might take on to TCU as well.

"I haven't locked in dates yet with either school but it will be sometime in early January. There were a few other schools I was talking with but I'm only looking at schools that will give me a chance to play quarterback so that's why I like these four."

Colter gave high marks to both ASU and Northwestern visits.

"ASU was first and that was a good trip," Colter said. "I have a lot of family from Arizona so I was real comfortable with the area. I liked the players and coaches a lot and the facilities they have are very impressive. I fit in well there and I could definitely see myself spending the next four or five years at ASU.

"With Northwestern, I think the program is headed in the right direction. Their education is top of the line and they have stuck with me this whole year, even while I was still committed to Stanford. Their coaches are really good people and I like Chicago and Evanston a lot, they're great cities."

As for what happened with Stanford, Colter said it was simply a case of not waiting to around any more to find out if he was cleared through admissions.

"I was getting a little frustrated," Colter said. "It was taking so long to find out if I was accepted in to the school or not and I knew the longer I waited, my options were going to decrease pretty quickly.

"So I had to make a decision to move on and look at these other schools. I didn't want to wait until close to signing day and then find out that I wasn't cleared. It's all for the best and I'm happy with my choices I have in front of me."

schuhbdoo, looks like you answered your own question.

as well. There's also film of him on his Rivals page.

For what it's worth, I spoke with my brother this week who lives down the street from Cherry Creek HS in Denver. He said that Colter basically carried the team on his back to the title game last year, but that he's been hurt for a good portion of this year. As a fellow Husker fan, he was really excited to hear that NU is in the hunt for Colter. I can see why after looking at his film. I'm guessing the big knock on him during the recruiting process is his height. For some reason he looks smaller than 6-1 on his film.

I just checked out the roster and I can now confirm that there is no one on the team named Abel, we don't want to have any problems (murders) between kids because that would divide the team....so yeah he's clear let's sign this kid up.

How hard are we recruiting him?

I just checked out the roster and I can now confirm that there is no one on the team named Abel, we don't want to have any problems (murders) between kids because that would divide the team....so yeah he's clear let's sign this kid up.

How hard are we recruiting him?

I couldnt tell you exactly how hard. But he is an athlete that will start at QB much like Martinez if we get him N that is.

With that said he is the last hope of us getting a QB type prospect in this class.

If we do get a QB in this class then, do we still have any shot of taking 2 in next year's?

By the time that group rolls in, Lee and LTW will be gone, and Green will be a Jr (or a RSo). Spano will be a Jr. We'd have two project guys, including Taylor who may not even stick at the position.

I almost think we'd be better off skipping one this class, and getting 2 next class. Or if not, if we pick up a potential project (* - not sure if Colter is or if he is a more natural passer), then pick up only Jamal Turner, that's downright scary for 2011. Nothing wrong with some athletes playing QBs, but we'd have nothing but 'athletes playing QBs.' Except maybe Spano?

I like the mobile QBs as much as anyone, but I want them to be good throwers, with running ability as a bonus, rather than decent-to-good runners that are wildly erratic passing. The dual/running part should be the added, not the primary dimension...they still are quarterback. So I'm very curious if anyone can give some insights on Colter's soundness in throwing technique...

If we do get a QB in this class then, do we still have any shot of taking 2 in next year's?

By the time that group rolls in, Lee and LTW will be gone, and Green will be a Jr (or a RSo). Spano will be a Jr. We'd have two project guys, including Taylor who may not even stick at the position.

I almost think we'd be better off skipping one this class, and getting 2 next class. Or if not, if we pick up a potential project (* - not sure if Colter is or if he is a more natural passer), then pick up only Jamal Turner, that's downright scary for 2011. Nothing wrong with some athletes playing QBs, but we'd have nothing but 'athletes playing QBs.' Except maybe Spano?

I like the mobile QBs as much as anyone, but I want them to be good throwers, with running ability as a bonus, rather than decent-to-good runners that are wildly erratic passing. The dual/running part should be the added, not the primary dimension...they still are quarterback. So I'm very curious if anyone can give some insights on Colter's soundness in throwing technique...

Not sure on Coulter's throwing prowess, good numbers though. As for QB depth after next season you are right, it thins out a lot. Only Spano, Green, Martinez, and Walk On Kellog for sure. Spano should be a So. though, assuming he can get a Medical for this year. I think it is possible that Green could RS next season if Spano comes back full strength, allow him to develop 1 more year, so he could be a So. in 2011. Martinez will be a So. in 2011. I think even if NU picks up a QB in this class, getting 2 in the 2011 class is definitely a possibility regardless. Maybe like Big Willie said, get a stud athlete in Turner that you need to mold and also a pure passer type.

Seems pretty dumb by Stanford if they really wanted the guy

If he was a Stanford recruit he must be legit. I don't think Harbaugh would offer him a scolly if he wasn't. Ex NFL QB, he must've seen some good things in this kid.

I don't think a QB is a make or break for this year. Jamaal T. sounds like a heavy lean for next year. If we don't have that many open scollies, I would rather see an impact 4 star DB come in or another WR.

Cooper???

Kenny Bell???