ATH Kain Colter

Latest from Husker Journal. Looks like Arizona State and Northwestern are high. This kid needs to visit...if he wants to play big time football then the visit should put him over the top for us. I think this one all goes down on how the visit goes. Says he has talked to Watson.

JANUARY 4 2010. MESSAGE BOARDS

KAIN COLTER, QB, 6-1, 190, ENGLEWOOD (CHERRY CREEK), COLORADO

Kain de-committed from Stanford and is looking around for another school. Kain already visited Arizona State and Northwestern. Nebraska has shown interest and TCU is up in the air right now.

Family Roots In Arizona

“All my family lives in Arizona. My dad and uncle played football at Mc Clintock high school so I have a bunch of family that lives in that area” Colter said

Education Concerns At ASU

“I met Coach Erickson he’s great. He wants me to play quarterback and that’s a huge deal. The only thing I’m a little skeptical about is the education part. They have an honors program (Barrett Honors College) there and they (ASU Coaches) want me to enroll in. That was a great deal.” Colter said

“It’s (Barrett Honors College) an honor program where a degree is worth a little more, a higher ranked program.” Colter added

High On Sun Devils

“I’m pretty highly recruited by Arizona State,” says Colter, “They need a quarterback and I want to play quarterback. Once I de-committed from Stanford some of the Arizona State coaches came out before break. They are definitely on me, I’m definitely thinking about going there.” Colter said

Positives At ASU

“The fan support is great. One thing that was big for me is being around some of the players when I was down there. My host was Matt Tucker he’s from Colorado and I’ve known him.” Colter said

Great Education At Northwestern

“There (Northwestern) education is second to none that kind of speaks for itself. Stepping out of there getting a job can make some good money. Northwestern takes care of their players, graduate and get hooked up with internship.” Colton said

“Coach Fitz is a great guy and I feel their program is in the right direction. They went to the Alamo Bowl and Outback Bowl. I like the Big 10 conference, Chicago is a great city.” Colter said

Play Early at NU

“I have a chance to play early at Northwestern. I know their quarterback right now has graduated and they only have two more in and that’s it. I know they (NU) have one signed and they are trying to bring in another QB.” Colter said

“On Top Of My Board”

“Northwestern was one of the first schools to offer me. I know their offensive coordinator pretty well right now they (NU) are on top of my board, it’s going to be a tough decision a lot of factors will weigh in.” Colter said

“Northwestern runs the spread they ran it 75 times against Auburn. I fit that system really well it’s what we do in high school.” Colter said

Huge Regards For Huskers

“Nebraska program has so much tradition. Nebraska just played in the Big 12 Championship game they are definitely headed in the right direction.” says Colter. “My dad played football at Colorado he knows about Nebraska and has lots of respect for them. Nebraska has a great fan base they don’t have a NFL team out there. Just die hard Nebraska fans.”

“I’ve haven’t been able to make it out there (Nebraska). I’m going to make a trip out there in January hopefully, see how it goes. I know the College Football Convention is coming up and Nebraska don’t want trips coming up that weekend.” Colter said

Waiting For Visit Date

“Right now Nebraska can call me once a week and I talked to Coach Watson just before the bowl game. Coach Watson said he heard that I de-committed and once they get off the dead period he will contact me and set up a visit. I know I haven’t talked to Coach (Bo) Pelini because he has been traveling with Ndamukong Suh with awards ceremonies. So were waiting on him.” Colter said

“It sounds like to me that I have an offer but I haven’t received the papers yet, I don’t want to speak too soon. I think the offer is coming pretty soon I’m going to talk to Coach Watson if it’s coming soon.” Colter said

The Gabbert Factor Again

“Nebraska said they are recruiting two quarterbacks it’s me and some kid from Florida. That’s who they are pursuing right now.” Colter added

TCU Has Tailed Back A Little

“They (TCU) are playing in the Fiesta Bowl and headed in the right direction. Coach Fuente came out right before break he was talking about how they needed a quarterback and I fit in the spread offense.” Colter said

“I heard TCU just got a quarterback so I don’t know how that would influence me. I haven’t talked with him (Fuenete) so I don’t know how things are going with that program now.” Colter said

Stanford De-Commit Situation

“The admissions staff at Stanford was really hard," says Colter. “They kind of wanted to wait until after my first semester to official admit me into the school. I wouldn’t want that I’ll kind of be left out in the open. It was disappointing because I had to turn down other schools that were coming in.”

“Our first semester isn’t until the end of January. We take finals after winter break. By then signing date is a week or two away.” Colter said

“I’ve talked to Cal but they want me to play defensive back. I’ve sent my tape to Oregon I haven’t heard back from them it’s early yet.” Colter said

Play Early Or Not

“I have to decide how big playing early is important to me or maybe I might have to redshirt. I want to play quarterback but I’m not going to be dumb about it, I just want a shot if somehow I don’t fit into that (QB) position then I will play somewhere else.” Colter said

“Coaches recognized that I’m dynamic I can go under center, drop back or throw some shot gun. I can break the pocket and make plays with my feet and stand there and throw.” Colter said

If we do get a QB in this class then, do we still have any shot of taking 2 in next year's?

By the time that group rolls in, Lee and LTW will be gone, and Green will be a Jr (or a RSo). Spano will be a Jr. We'd have two project guys, including Taylor who may not even stick at the position.

I almost think we'd be better off skipping one this class, and getting 2 next class. Or if not, if we pick up a potential project (* - not sure if Colter is or if he is a more natural passer), then pick up only Jamal Turner, that's downright scary for 2011. Nothing wrong with some athletes playing QBs, but we'd have nothing but 'athletes playing QBs.' Except maybe Spano?

I like the mobile QBs as much as anyone, but I want them to be good throwers, with running ability as a bonus, rather than decent-to-good runners that are wildly erratic passing. The dual/running part should be the added, not the primary dimension...they still are quarterback. So I'm very curious if anyone can give some insights on Colter's soundness in throwing technique...

Thank you for posting that, I agree 100%. The two most important things about being quarterback are decision making & accuracy. I'd take an accurate passer who is a solid decision maker but has very little mobility any day over a mobile quarterback who is a mediocre to dangerous (to his own team) passer. If we need some1 to run the football, thats what the running back is for.

Just got word that Kain Colter is hosting Shawn Watson this Thursday for his official in-home visit.

Then I guess we must be serious about him! I can't imagine sending Wats for an in-home without a scholarship offer. It will be interesting to see how this plays out considering Colter's preference for an academically prestigious school (no offense, UNL alums).

Just got word that Kain Colter is hosting Shawn Watson this Thursday for his official in-home visit.

Then I guess we must be serious about him! I can't imagine sending Wats for an in-home without a scholarship offer. It will be interesting to see how this plays out considering Colter's preference for an academically prestigious school (no offense, UNL alums).

does this mean kain is our #1 choice right now......

sounds like it

Has Carnes been talking visit too? It sounded from the earlier Colter interview like Carnes was possibly the #1.

Carnes is a soft commit for USF. Colter is a decommit from Stanford.

If Watts is going to Colter for an in home, expect a commitment from Colter by Thurs afternoon.

If Carnes was all that in terms of NU, he would've never committed to USF. Sorry, truth hurts.

I think Colter is ours by Thurs afternoon. Cooper/OWA and this class is done. Wrap it up with a bow on it and put this class under the tree, it is a done deal!!!

I have no inside info but Bo knows recruiting.

I think he is ready for spring ball with our class as it sits now or by Friday afternoon.

As Jim Rome says, "good night now".

Has Carnes been talking visit too? It sounded from the earlier Colter interview like Carnes was possibly the #1.

Carnes is a soft commit for USF. Colter is a decommit from Stanford.

If Watts is going to Colter for an in home, expect a commitment from Colter by Thurs afternoon.

If Carnes was all that in terms of NU, he would've never committed to USF. Sorry, truth hurts.

I think Colter is ours by Thurs afternoon. Cooper/OWA and this class is done. Wrap it up with a bow on it and put this class under the tree, it is a done deal!!!

I have no inside info but Bo knows recruiting.

I think he is ready for spring ball with our class as it sits now or by Friday afternoon.

As Jim Rome says, "good night now".

Carnes committed to USF back in late July when we had a commit from Gabbert.